Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do employers not give you the time of day??

Why do employers not give you the time of day??

Old May 15th 2007, 7:10 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why do employers not give you the time of day??

Originally Posted by Speargun
We are in the final stages of our visa application, just the dreaded meds to go!!

Despite numerous job applications and sending off my CV on spec....various chases asking for advice an whether my application has been received....the grand total of replies....ONE! Ive over 4 years experience here with a good CV and track record but not one employer will even say "thanks but no thanks! or sorry not interested" they prefer just to ignore me?? Oh wait maybe its me!
Ive a reasonably well paid job over here around 30k, and carnt afford to go out to Australia without a job to go to?? Anybody got any ideas...do I need to wait for the visa to be granted first??
Hi,

If I could offer some advice to OP without wishing to offend...

I think you need to adapt your attitude, there is absolutely no reason why anyone should even give you the time of day when applying for jobs. I completely changed my expectations coming over here and applied for jobs accordingly, I knew it was unlikely that I would get something equivalent to what I'd left back in the UK and adjusted my hunt as a result.

I was offered a very good job within about 6-weeks of arriving, although worth far less than I was used to which I expect you may have to adjust for. But, and this is the important bit, at no point did I expect anything from anybody. I actually found it quite embarrassing being interviewed by a potential line manager who in the past I would have probably recruited their boss, but it had to be done.

You are moving to a new country and it's your choice. No-one is going to help you or offer you any preferential treatment.

On the positive side. As I said I was successful after taking the plunge and my wife was lucky and discovered it's not necessarily what you know but who... Also I think you will definitely have more luck when you are actually here.

As a PS I hope the spelling in your letters of application and CV is a lot better than in your posts.

Cheers,
Peter.

</IMG></IMG>
</IMG></IMG>
Old May 15th 2007, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Hi,

If I could offer some advice to OP without wishing to offend...

I think you need to adapt your attitude, there is absolutely no reason why anyone should even give you the time of day when applying for jobs. I completely changed my expectations coming over here and applied for jobs accordingly, I knew it was unlikely that I would get something equivalent to what I'd left back in the UK and adjusted my hunt as a result.

I was offered a very good job within about 6-weeks of arriving, although worth far less than I was used to which I expect you may have to adjust for. But, and this is the important bit, at no point did I expect anything from anybody. I actually found it quite embarrassing being interviewed by a potential line manager who in the past I would have probably recruited their boss, but it had to be done.

You are moving to a new country and it's your choice. No-one is going to help you or offer you any preferential treatment.

On the positive side. As I said I was successful after taking the plunge and my wife was lucky and discovered it's not necessarily what you know but who... Also I think you will definitely have more luck when you are actually here.

As a PS I hope the spelling in your letters of application and CV is a lot better than in your posts.

Cheers,
Peter.

</IMG></IMG>
</IMG></IMG>
Why do people have to get personal? With the greatest of respect I was juggling a 4 week old baby on my knee, and I wasnt typing my CV or dissertation but posting a question on a forum - apologies to all offending spelling mistakes, grammatical errors etc etc
Old May 15th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Hi all,

Been quite a while since Ive posted on here.

Ive been here (Mornington Peninsula) two and a half years now. It took me 5 months to get my first job, so bought a house, had a baby etc, then the first round of redundancies come and being a pommie that puts you on the top of the list. So i have a wife, a 3 month baby and NO income and NO benefits (as we hadn't been here two years then). I managed to get od bits of crappy paid casual stuff till we could get benefits. I'm now back at college full time Studying Building Design (at Frankston TAFE) I gave up a 35,000 pound job in the UK and even the crappiest jobs here are like gold dust. There are so many incompetent people in the workforce, however Australia operates on a "who you know" and not a "what you know" basis. I'm hoping an Ozzy qualification will help me re-enter the workforce. If not I'll reluctantly be heading back for that over populated, filthy Cr@p hole, of Grand Brittania.

Sorry to put my negative bias on the disucussion but just be aware this is how it is. On the Mornington Peninsual in particular, if your in a trade, you'll be OK, if not its going to be a struggle and if you do get a job expect your colleagues to only have half a brain cell.

regards,
65KK
Old May 15th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Speargun
We are in the final stages of our visa application, just the dreaded meds to go!!

Despite numerous job applications and sending off my CV on spec....various chases asking for advice an whether my application has been received....the grand total of replies....ONE! Ive over 4 years experience here with a good CV and track record but not one employer will even say "thanks but no thanks! or sorry not interested" they prefer just to ignore me?? Oh wait maybe its me!
Ive a reasonably well paid job over here around 30k, and carnt afford to go out to Australia without a job to go to?? Anybody got any ideas...do I need to wait for the visa to be granted first??
Have thought about working for your UK employer via the internet when you move to Australia. It's easy to set up and you get paid in pounds. It works for me.