Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why did you emigrate?

why did you emigrate?

Old May 5th 2004, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

tracy.macpherso is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up why did you emigrate?

Hi there just would like to know different peoples reasons for emigrating to Oz.

Is it a better life? I am planning to move with my husband and children to Brisbane in a couple of years so would really love to know if it is as good as I picture it.
Old May 5th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect most people dream of better weather.

A lot of people love Brisbane, but to be honest I find it boring. To me, it's like a big country town that tried to become a city and didn't quite get it right.

I like having a bit of a change in weather during the year. I would miss never wearing a jumper.

However ... I know and have met and lot of really good people from that part of the world. It seems to breed a nice temperement.

Also, there are some very beautiful areas not far from Brisbane. Once there, it could be a good starting point.
Old May 5th 2004, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Anzen12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by anzen12

A lot of people love Brisbane, but to be honest I find it boring. To me, it's like a big country town that tried to become a city and didn't quite get it right.

Sounds just what we want! i have heard that Queensland is like Britain was 50 years ago, if this is true we are going to love it, if not we'll make of it whatever we can with a little bit of luck and a lot of hard work!
Old May 5th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

if not we'll make of it whatever we can with a little bit of luck and a lot of hard work!
I suspect you'll succeed wherever you go.

Good onya mate
Old May 5th 2004, 9:47 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Anzen12

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nosuchluck
Originally posted by anzen12

Sounds just what we want! i have heard that Queensland is like Britain was 50 years ago, if this is true we are going to love it, if not we'll make of it whatever we can with a little bit of luck and a lot of hard work!
Here, here Rach...........with you on that one

To answer the question re why emigrating to Oz:
Weather and working towards a sunny / laid back retirement.

Always wanted to live in Oz.....thought we'd try it and either love it or hate it...... but at least try it. Didn't want to die saying "what if"

Phoenixuk2oz

Old May 5th 2004, 10:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nosuchluck
i have heard that Queensland is like Britain was 50 years ago, if this is true we are going to love it...... and a lot of hard work!
Rach,
I think you are going to love the washing facilities
Attached Images  
Old May 5th 2004, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nosuchluck

i have heard that Queensland is like Britain was 50 years ago, if this is true we are going to love it,
Bland food
Crap Fashion
Rationing
Sh*t Cars
Bigger class system
No TV
Pea souper smog
Bad teeth
Old May 5th 2004, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

friends is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why did you emigrate?

Originally posted by tracy.macpherso
Hi there just would like to know different peoples reasons for emigrating to Oz.

Is it a better life? I am planning to move with my husband and children to Brisbane in a couple of years so would really love to know if it is as good as I picture it.
Depends on what you call a better life. We are in perth. Very lovely. Kids love the outdoor life as do we. We would never be alble to have a pool in the uk. Its very laid back here and you do get to spend lots of quility time together. After 8 months of doing that you start to feel as though something is missing. Its hard for most expats to come to terms with not seeing there familly they have left behind and also those close friends. If you can get through that then you will have a great life here in australia. Dont think its going to be easy though wages are alot lower,cost of living high and schools in my opion not as good. My son is five and a half and it is not compulsory for him to go to school until feb 2005. I am now teaching him to read at home and he is doing well. The school he is in is good but will not teach reading or writing till he hits year one and he will be six and a half by then.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:03 am
ABCDiamond

That may be why I just love it here I don't go to the city that much though, I like the peace and quiet where I am

Also, there are some very beautiful areas not far from Brisbane. Once there, it could be a good starting point.
Correct, you have the option to go wherever you wish. I started in Sydney and ended up here.

Originally posted by friends
My son is five and a half and it is not compulsory for him to go to school until feb 2005
My daughter started school when she was 4yrs 8mth old here in OZ. We chose to start early, but agree that we could have delayed by a year.

Old May 6th 2004, 12:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here to try living here properly and to see what I missed of Australia when I was here on a WHV. Redundancy was impending in the UK so I had nothing to lose giving it another go.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tracy.macpherso

I emigrated because I was fed up with the crap weather, miserable, aggressive people, lack of work opportunities that didn't involve either driving around the M25 or taking the train to London, regionalism, "geezer" culture, assylum seekers (a.k.a. illegal immigrants), being ruled from Brussels by people we didn't elect, class system, keeping up with the Joenses mentality.

And because Australia is just a better place to live, particularly WA if you have a young family - nowhere beats it.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:55 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

weird. I find Brisbane quite the opposite,I hardly go into the city for the reason I find it too packed.

I find Brisbane itself too city like, with a city attitude as well. It is absolutely nothing like a country town to me.Suppose different people picture/feel different things.

And, for the past week I have been wearing Jumpers in the evening in the house and out ..and even wore a coat on sat night while I was fishing , temp is starting to drop in the evenings/nights, mind you I'm the first to feel the cold. It's weird, I was walking around the supermarket last night and saw a few people in shorts and T-shirts. I thought geeze are they mad, while others like me had jumpers on.

P.s can't answer the original question. I don't know how you picture it in your mind, so I can't say yes it is just like how you picture it.

And, Brisbane is nothing like Britain 50 years ago (not that I was alive 50 years ago!) . It's nothing like it now either. Britain consists of many parts, many towns and places.. and four countries (if you want include N.Ireland.- ..UK) Why do people compare Brisbane to the whole of the British isles..lol

I suppose it's like a country town if you want to compare it with places like London though, but it certainly is not like a country town to me.

cheers
Old May 6th 2004, 1:15 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Simmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont think its going to be easy though wages are alot lower,cost of living high
Friends....not sure where you used to live, but my wages are about the same and the cost of living is a lot cheaper than when I was in the UK.
Eight years ago in Torquay in the UK I was living in a one bedroom flat, with a huge mortgage, 2 jobs and surviving day to day. Now I live in a 4 bedroom,3 bathroom house with pool 5 minutes from the beach, and when I wake up every morning the sky is blue and the sun is shinning, yes it has taken me a few years and hard work to get this standard of living but I could never have dreamed of this lifestyle had I stayed in the UK.

Brisbane is nice and probably one of the only other places I wiuld chose to live in Oz......so go on give it a try, push through the 1st couple of years and you will not regret it....
Simmo
Old May 6th 2004, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

friends is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi simmo We are in perth. Do love it here and would have regrets about going back. Thought we would be ok away from family but find it to hard. Dont want to live with all our time in perth with the feeling that something is missing. Pleased we have done it though. How long have you been here.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:52 am
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
I emigrated because I was fed up with the crap weather, miserable, aggressive people, lack of work opportunities that didn't involve either driving around the M25 or taking the train to London, regionalism, "geezer" culture, assylum seekers (a.k.a. illegal immigrants), being ruled from Brussels by people we didn't elect, class system, keeping up with the Joenses mentality.

And because Australia is just a better place to live, particularly WA if you have a young family - nowhere beats it.
Well said Renth - you took the words right out of my mouth !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.