Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA

Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA

Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA

I had always noticed that chocolate is expensive but never bought that much to worry about it really.

Anyway tonight a friend texted me to remind me we needed a mars bar for Kindy. Off I trot to the shops.

1 mars cost $2.30 (£1.08 approx).

When I got home I decided that I'd take a look at tesco.

I could get 5 mars' for £1.48

That is mad.

Anyone else noticed this. Where do you shop for your chocolate? Is there a brand that is cheaper out here. I just don't get that kind of pricing.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:23 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA

I noticed this in Tassie. But boy o boy was it nice. You could get cheap in chicken feed mind you.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We noticed that chocolate and chockie bikkies are expensive even compared to NZ. Can't think why. I guess that's one vice that will have to go. I think Perth must be a bit dearer though, and it may depend on where you shop. At Aldi's and at a kiosk in Brisbane Airport chocolate bars were about $1.80 -$2.20 and choc bikkies were up over $3. Becomes a treat you appreciate doesn't it.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

It’s the same here in Sydney. But thank god the Chocolate over here tastes shite, so I don’t have to buy any!

Mikey
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
It’s the same here in Sydney. But thank god the Chocolate over here tastes shite, so I don’t have to buy any!

Mikey
http://www.atasteofhome.com.au/?gcli...FQ0xawod_Dggkg
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

I love you!

They even have Hula Hoops and Monster Munch!

Thanks.

Mikey
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it's because Aussie choc is made from fresh milk rather than milk that has gone off as found in UK chocolate.

I reckon Belgian chocolate is the best. (Swiss chocolate is overrated.)
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Maybe it's because Aussie choc is made from fresh milk rather than milk that has gone off as found in UK chocolate.

I reckon Belgian chocolate is the best. (Swiss chocolate is overrated.)
No, it’s actually because Australian chocolate is pumped with too many preservatives’ so it last longer and suits in the Aussie conditions (climate etc).

In saying that, who said UK chocolate was any better? Its shite too – I was talking about Irish Cadbury, that’s the good stuff!

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Aug 28th 2008 at 11:55 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Yep its expensive.
As a Chocoholic, Im seriously down on my quota per month due to costs.

Also with 4 kids, who all want a bar of chocolate at the supermarket it get costly.

Gems
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:26 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

It expensive everywhere, but i have found if you buy in bulk when they have an offer on its better, just stick it in the fridge until required. This last week they had an off on Cadbury's chocolate, the big bars it was 2 for $6 so my fridge is stocked,, for a short while anyway
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:28 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Aldi's sell Belgian chocolate. 'nuff said.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:27 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
No, it’s actually because Australian chocolate is pumped with too many preservatives’ so it last longer and suits in the Aussie conditions (climate etc).

In saying that, who said UK chocolate was any better? Its shite too – I was talking about Irish Cadbury, that’s the good stuff!

Mikey
Funny that the extra preservative they use is more cocoa powder. In the UK you'd pay extra for that.

I don't know. Who said UK chocolate was better than Aussie chocolate?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I've taken a trip through a Cadbury factory and I don't think they use preservative. If airtight and kept cool it has a certain shelf life and after that they ditch it, or maybe have a special. Anyone checked the use by date on those reduced chocs?

Taste is the flavour you've been used to. The aussies might think UK chocolate tastes odd. Cadbury NZ tastes different to Cadbury Australia, even though they are affiliated because of the different taste of milk apparently. We also noticed that when we bought coffee.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:37 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Aldi's sell Belgian chocolate. 'nuff said.
Aldi's also sell proper German Marzipan wrapped in thick dark chocolate. You're the techy...how do I get the drool out of this keyboard safely?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:37 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Yeah, I've taken a trip through a Cadbury factory and I don't think they use preservative. If airtight and kept cool it has a certain shelf life and after that they ditch it, or maybe have a special. Anyone checked the use by date on those reduced chocs?

Taste is the flavour you've been used to. The aussies might think UK chocolate tastes odd. Cadbury NZ tastes different to Cadbury Australia, even though they are affiliated because of the different taste of milk apparently. We also noticed that when we bought coffee.
I honestly can't taste any difference between Aussie and UK chocolate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.