British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-chocolate-so-expensive-australia-just-wa-557956/)

PoppetUK Aug 28th 2008 2:17 pm

Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA

I had always noticed that chocolate is expensive but never bought that much to worry about it really.

Anyway tonight a friend texted me to remind me we needed a mars bar for Kindy. Off I trot to the shops.

1 mars cost $2.30 (£1.08 approx).

When I got home I decided that I'd take a look at tesco.

I could get 5 mars' for £1.48

That is mad.

Anyone else noticed this. Where do you shop for your chocolate? Is there a brand that is cheaper out here. I just don't get that kind of pricing.

Lenmil Aug 28th 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Why is chocolate so expensive in Australia or is it just WA

I noticed this in Tassie. But boy o boy was it nice. You could get cheap in chicken feed mind you.

kiwinow Aug 28th 2008 7:09 pm

We noticed that chocolate and chockie bikkies are expensive even compared to NZ. Can't think why. I guess that's one vice that will have to go. I think Perth must be a bit dearer though, and it may depend on where you shop. At Aldi's and at a kiosk in Brisbane Airport chocolate bars were about $1.80 -$2.20 and choc bikkies were up over $3. Becomes a treat you appreciate doesn't it.

Mikeyc Aug 28th 2008 8:53 pm

It’s the same here in Sydney. But thank god the Chocolate over here tastes shite, so I don’t have to buy any!

Mikey

Hutch Aug 28th 2008 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6725331)
It’s the same here in Sydney. But thank god the Chocolate over here tastes shite, so I don’t have to buy any!

Mikey

http://www.atasteofhome.com.au/?gcli...FQ0xawod_Dggkg

Mikeyc Aug 28th 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6725643)

I love you!

They even have Hula Hoops and Monster Munch! :D

Thanks.

Mikey

MartinLuther Aug 28th 2008 11:45 pm

Maybe it's because Aussie choc is made from fresh milk rather than milk that has gone off as found in UK chocolate. :sneaky::D

I reckon Belgian chocolate is the best. (Swiss chocolate is overrated.)

Mikeyc Aug 28th 2008 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 6725842)
Maybe it's because Aussie choc is made from fresh milk rather than milk that has gone off as found in UK chocolate. :sneaky::D

I reckon Belgian chocolate is the best. (Swiss chocolate is overrated.)

No, it’s actually because Australian chocolate is pumped with too many preservatives’ so it last longer and suits in the Aussie conditions (climate etc). :thumbsup:

In saying that, who said UK chocolate was any better? Its shite too – I was talking about Irish Cadbury, that’s the good stuff! :p

Mikey

Gems Aug 29th 2008 12:08 am

Yep its expensive.
As a Chocoholic, Im seriously down on my quota per month due to costs.

Also with 4 kids, who all want a bar of chocolate at the supermarket it get costly.

Gems

cheekivimto07 Aug 29th 2008 12:26 am

It expensive everywhere, but i have found if you buy in bulk when they have an offer on its better, just stick it in the fridge until required. This last week they had an off on Cadbury's chocolate, the big bars it was 2 for $6 so my fridge is stocked,, :) for a short while anyway :rofl:

Hutch Aug 29th 2008 12:28 am

Aldi's sell Belgian chocolate. 'nuff said.

MartinLuther Aug 29th 2008 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Mikeyc (Post 6725859)
No, it’s actually because Australian chocolate is pumped with too many preservatives’ so it last longer and suits in the Aussie conditions (climate etc). :thumbsup:

In saying that, who said UK chocolate was any better? Its shite too – I was talking about Irish Cadbury, that’s the good stuff! :p

Mikey

Funny that the extra preservative they use is more cocoa powder. In the UK you'd pay extra for that. ;):D

I don't know. Who said UK chocolate was better than Aussie chocolate? :confused: :D

kiwinow Aug 29th 2008 1:55 am

Yeah, I've taken a trip through a Cadbury factory and I don't think they use preservative. If airtight and kept cool it has a certain shelf life and after that they ditch it, or maybe have a special. :rofl: Anyone checked the use by date on those reduced chocs?

Taste is the flavour you've been used to. The aussies might think UK chocolate tastes odd. Cadbury NZ tastes different to Cadbury Australia, even though they are affiliated because of the different taste of milk apparently. We also noticed that when we bought coffee.

busterboy Aug 29th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6725971)
Aldi's sell Belgian chocolate. 'nuff said.

Aldi's also sell proper German Marzipan wrapped in thick dark chocolate. You're the techy...how do I get the drool out of this keyboard safely?

busterboy Aug 29th 2008 2:37 am

Originally Posted by kiwinow (Post 6726103)
Yeah, I've taken a trip through a Cadbury factory and I don't think they use preservative. If airtight and kept cool it has a certain shelf life and after that they ditch it, or maybe have a special. :rofl: Anyone checked the use by date on those reduced chocs?

Taste is the flavour you've been used to. The aussies might think UK chocolate tastes odd. Cadbury NZ tastes different to Cadbury Australia, even though they are affiliated because of the different taste of milk apparently. We also noticed that when we bought coffee.

I honestly can't taste any difference between Aussie and UK chocolate.