Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Wikiposts

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Old Feb 14th 2005, 5:14 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Why are cars so expensive down under!

Originally Posted by mr mover
WHY do think HOLDENS/FORD Australia are so keen on getting, SUPERCAR V8racing into Shanghai,? The worlds biggest untapped car market, and we are on its door step. EVERY thing in this world that is wotrh any thing , is Subsidised,in one way or another. !! ohh except Aussie farmers....... mm..........
Because the Chinese government haven't put a lid on tobacco sponsorship as yet?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 6:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
V8 Supercars in Shanghai would be cool I reckon. Even though HSV would probably not sell in droves over there. Can't see a muscle car culture develop in China......
they will start with a few basic commodores,and prehaps the dual cab utility,in very basic form v6 only, then as acceptance grows so will the market, don,t worry Shanghai has quite a few millionaires, who could easily afford HSV or STATESMAN. .......... mm
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

WHY do think HOLDENS/FORD Australia are so keen on getting, SUPERCAR V8racing into Shanghai,? The worlds biggest untapped car market, and we are on its door step. EVERY thing in this world that is wotrh any thing , is Subsidised,in one way or another. !! ohh except Aussie farmers....... mm..........
Aussie farmers are protected by other mechanisms but they do have it tough. The battle for china will be huge. I suspect that china's population density will make V8s unsuitable but it is early days. You only need a small market penetration there to be profitable. The Mrs sells stuff into china that makes a profit despite pirated goods outselling the legit stuff.

The most profitable value added industries do not need subsidies. They are the growth industries. Sometimes government has to say out with the old to generate the new. Hang on to old unprofitable industry too long and you'll end up with lemon companies. Some regions get hooked on subsidised industry and never become self sufficient.

FTAs will make car industry subsidy increasingly difficult.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I bet when you lived in Boerki land you worked for Sigma industries, never tooled up a car yet, just put them together from other peoples drawings.... mm
Never worked in the motor industry mate. You do seem to know a bit about the industry there though. Yes, there has been a lot of rehashing & modification to existing models & they have turned out some crap, just like the current Aussie car industry. It's changed since the end of sanctions though. But they have also turned out some good models too. As you will know, until the early 90's, the only Merc & BMW plants outside Germany were in SA. All right hand drive BMW 3 series, Merc C Class & VW Golfs are made in SA.

Aussie cars are still sh*te though (although I do quite like the Monaro).
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You're dreaming mate.....your silly little bucket of bolts will only eat dust if you try and put it up against real Aussie muscle.

Live with it.......
I tell you what, I'll import my M3 into Oz so we can have a dice. Only condition is we have to drive like most of our fellow countrymen do. I'll drive like a typical Saffa, fast & aggresive. You'll drive like a typical Aussie, like an old woman. Lets see who'll win that.

We took the M3 down to Germany a few years back, down through Belgium & crossed into the fatherland around Aachen at about 10am, we were in Munich by 5pm & we'd stopped twice for lunch & petrol. Drive like that in Oz & get caught & you'd end up in prison getting ring feed from your bogan & aboriginie mates every night. Then again you'd probably enjoy that.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Most Aussie muscle cars will leave you dead, mate. You see, europe has never had a muscle car culture (I KNOW this because I used to live there).

HSV, FPV, Maloo.........europe has yet to produce anything that can match these. Whether you accept it or not.
Live with it.......

Dear Mr Superior
You really are boring people on here.

As for European cars not matching Australians best efforts, shall I bring a Aston Martin Vantage with me to race you ?

I have no idea what Oz cars are like, muscle or not, but I do know that the above mentioned car is astonishing and so is the Mercedes McClaren SLR. These cars may "walk all over you" to use an AC/DC lyric I don't know, but don't try and tell me there isn't a car made in Europe that isn't up to what Oz has.

Suggest you grow up a bit too.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Yeah, yeah, sure you will mate.........

Why bother? It is no different to a mill others, is it?

You'll still lose..........
German power beats tin can sh*te any day.

Eat my dust ocker....
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

I have just checked the price of cars and am really suprised. I have a toyota landcruiser and they are a lot cheaper in Oz. I can get a brand new one for $52,000 when in England they are that in £.

We were going to ship it out with us but I have decided a new one would be rather nice.

Debs
Old Feb 15th 2005, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Taff n Mand is an unknown quantity at this point

To use your own description - BULLSHIT!!!

Give me Aussie performance anyday! It sounds funny hearing someone calling pommie made cars 'quality'. They are renowned all over the world for being poor quality. Remember Lucas? The man who invented darkness! All pommie made crap is like that.

And Australia and the US are the only ones still making muscle cars.

Have fun in your underbuilt, overpriced euro/UK made rolling ashtray.......
Well! Holden, Great Aus company. Building cars just outside melbourne. cars such as Holden Astra Holden Vectra. general motors, Vauxhall or Opel? The fact is that somebody asked why cars seemed so expensive. cant we just give answers withour degenerating into slanging matches with each other. 'Having a go' will just make people reluctant to use these forums. Then where would we go for advice?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

OOOOOOOpppppppppppppppppppsssssssssssssssssssssss
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15

From the thread

Ok he wasnt 19 he was 23 (and its HIS car not a test drive) he has had the car approx 5-6 months it was insured in his Mums name. He was being followed by an off duty copper in a SS and was doing approx 160 down Grimshaw Street...and lost is when a car in front went to make a turn..forcing him into the kerb and up onto the grass (this in turn as it is sloped) acted as a ramp...he then used the BMW as a trampoline and took out BMW, Vectra, Commodore and a Ford Ute..as well as serious damage to the Clubby. TMU arrived on the scene within a couple of minutes and he was taken away 15 minutes after the accident, they are going to throw the book at him...apparently he had been followed for a while and there are approx 5 witnesses also claiming to see him driving like a tool..... speeding heaps and weaving in and out of traffic....if would like to clarifiy the details please call WATSON Holden Bundoora on 9467 4677 and speak to the boys in service who are more than happy to discuss the matter...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by wombat42
l agree totally. Pommie cars are tiny built for midgets , the engines are no where near as powerful as our Aussie V8 Commodore and Ford Falcon engines.
And there is nowhere for the 44 gallon drum, the roll of barbed wire, the crow bar, the fishing roads, the surfboard and...the cattle dog. Or the esky for smoko.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:08 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
OOOOOOOpppppppppppppppppppsssssssssssssssssssssss
http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...5&page=1&pp=15

From the thread

Ok he wasnt 19 he was 23 (and its HIS car not a test drive) he has had the car approx 5-6 months it was insured in his Mums name. He was being followed by an off duty copper in a SS and was doing approx 160 down Grimshaw Street...and lost is when a car in front went to make a turn..forcing him into the kerb and up onto the grass (this in turn as it is sloped) acted as a ramp...he then used the BMW as a trampoline and took out BMW, Vectra, Commodore and a Ford Ute..as well as serious damage to the Clubby. TMU arrived on the scene within a couple of minutes and he was taken away 15 minutes after the accident, they are going to throw the book at him...apparently he had been followed for a while and there are approx 5 witnesses also claiming to see him driving like a tool..... speeding heaps and weaving in and out of traffic....if would like to clarifiy the details please call WATSON Holden Bundoora on 9467 4677 and speak to the boys in service who are more than happy to discuss the matter...
Is,nt Mummy going to be pissed off, when she gets the bill........... mm
Old Mar 5th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough

fpmsl @ this thread
im hoping to take my small engined car over with me
but if for some reason i cant,i surpose i will have to settle with the xr6ti,it seems the ozzies are learning a bit about how well a blown engine can be

not sure if you allowed to post pics on here
but heres my 2.0ltr car that would whoop any factory v8 over there without a sweat
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough

BTW,didnt mean the above post to seem rude
i was just reading superiors comments
Old Mar 6th 2005, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
All (worldwide) right hand drive:
BMW 3 series
Mercedes C Class
Volkswagen Golf
are made in South Africa.
I have had 2 C class 180.... the second came from SA.
After 18months the auto gearbox paked in......lots of other niggles inclusing door seals ripping. 3 months out or gurantee the gearbox went again...merc have 4 year "discretionary" warranty.....at first they refused to pay for gearbox £980 +vat...after a load of hassle and telephone calls they agreed my "contribution" would be £285. This as a gesture of goodwill and I quote.."because we want you to continue having your 180 serviced by us".
Next service (42000) £560 plus spares and vat!
I got rid of it!
Spoken to a few other Merc owners who have changed away and opinion is build quality is down.
Previously I had a BMW 318.... one was enough.
With any car though..yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.