Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Wikiposts

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are cars so expensive down under!

[QUOTE=popeye]i agree that bar the astons britain doesn't make muscle cars

TVR?
Jaguar XK8?
Lotus?
Or how about the MG Xpower?
www.mgxpowersv.com

you are very wrong to agree with that popeye.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:31 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Superior
WTF is lemans??? Any pommie cars done well in the V8 supercars? Sorry, they'd be lapped umpteen times........
I thought I knew jack about cars but you are totally ignorant if you don't know of Le Mans. V8s is a parochial Aussie thing no one else gives a monkeys about.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

As my youngest two kids are getting older, I find I'm travelling further and further, With plenty of trips to Adelaide from Melbourne, A few to Sydney, and, I've done Queensland twice by road, in my EA falcon now. Up via the Newell highway, to Surfers in about 23 hours, First stop Just south of the Queensland Border in about 16 hours. I don't think any of the European cars would shift my family and I as well and as comfortably. Particualy when you consider that on parts of the Newell highway, you come across long lines of trucks in convoy, on short overtaking lanes, say about 2 k's in length. Now the ford will probably shift a car load including the back full of luggage, from 100 k's up to over 150 k's per hour easily by about the 3rd truck along.

Considering the cars are made for that kind of speed, it's safer to get past the trucks as quickly as possibly, And one is most unlikely to get radared whilst overtaking. I'd say that is what is called cars built for aussie conditions eh ?

A good 3 year old 6 cylinder ford/holden would come in at under 14,000 Aud ! I Cannot think of a european or Japanese car, that could be called upon to do that kind of work as easily and as efficiently..

By the way, my next big trip, in two years, will be up to Darwin, and down the east coast of Aussie via north of Cairns, for my long service leave, with my kids, wife and luggage on board, staying in Caravan parks and motels, will take about 10 weeks to do it.

Can Anyone give me a car that will do this as well, and as cheaply, with plenty of parts if needed (not that I've needed them on any trip so far) Other than a Ford or Holden ?

I'll probably buy another car by then, I reckon the car will cost about 15,000 aud tops. With a 6,000 buck trade in about 9,000 grand on the road

Game set and match
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:51 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Can Anyone give me a car that will do this as well, and as cheaply, with plenty of parts if needed (not that I've needed them on any trip so far) Other than a Ford or Holden ?

I'll probably buy another car by then, I reckon the car will cost about 15,000 aud tops. With a 6,000 buck trade in about 9,000 grand on the road

Game set and match
FFS, is this still going on?

Your post reads as if you think your EA Falcon is worth 6k to trade in. If this is the case, I'm here to tell you it isn't. You might get 600 for it.

As for a better car for 15k, try a Toyota Camry V6. Good for 230km/h, 138kw, 273nm, 10.77l/100 combined, 8.8s to 100 range 650km (combined).

Nothing in it in performance, but the ford uses 35% more fuel to do it, on a fairly modest 25k per annum that's a thousand dollars more expensive in fuel alone.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4lex
FFS, is this still going on?

Your post reads as if you think your EA Falcon is worth 6k to trade in. If this is the case, I'm here to tell you it isn't. You might get 600 for it.

As for a better car for 15k, try a Toyota Camry V6. Good for 230km/h, 138kw, 273nm, 10.77l/100 combined, 8.8s to 100 range 650km (combined).

Nothing in it in performance, but the ford uses 35% more fuel to do it, on a fairly modest 25k per annum that's a thousand dollars more expensive in fuel alone.

I hadn't even thought the trade in price through to be truthful, however I'm pretty good at barganing, I know for a fact that the "best" time to buy a car is the end of june, just before tax time. I know I will go to 3 dealerships, I know i will be going for a 3 to 4 year old car, with the least cash transaction that I can. I will be looking at around the 15,000 price range, if that has to drop, taking into consideration trade in value, to stop me spending 5 figures in cash sobeit Oh and it will be cash.

Last car I had was a holden apollo, (a camry clone) I know thats a bit different to todays camry, I was not impressed and won't be going back in that direction. I do know though that the toyota V6's are a damn good car. I dont think the Camry Station wagon is as good as the ford or holden equiv. I could be wrong though.

Oh and edit, FYI, I made a detailed note writing down everytime we filled up on our last Queensland trip, Our 2 and half weeks away last year, cost under 700 bucks in petrol, thats including all the running around up there. I was getting well over 600 k's out of a tank on that trip. (I wanted to make sure that it was well cheaper than flying and hiring a car, and felt vindicated by the result)

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 21st 2005 at 5:25 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:55 pm

***NEWSFLASH***
Everyone in Australia cares a lot about V8's here. This is by FAR the most popular car racing series in Australia:

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/

Formula 1 does not rate here or in the US.

Perhaps you have your blinders on???
V8s are a sideshow at the Malbourne F1. Considering V8s are only commodores and falcons it is hardly suprising there are no European cars in the comp. V8s are heavy lumps of crap.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:24 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

***NEWSFLASH***
Everyone in Australia cares a lot about V8's here. This is by FAR the most popular car racing series in Australia:

Couldn't give a shit about V8 or V whatever. However, it is an eye opener that riding one appears to be the sum total of your reason for existence.

Would be more impressed if you could make one.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:29 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

***NEWSFLASH***

How can you possibly say that, "Everyone in Australia" in into V8's?
I know hundreds of people in Perth, and can honestly say that I know only 2 people who are remotely interested in V8 racing.

And all this Holden/Ford thing is tediously boring as well!

I personally own a Ford Falcon, 4 litre AUII XL Ute, which I use for work.
People have said to me, "Aahh, You must be a Ford man?".

Nope!

I bought it because it does the job for work, & was good value for money.
Nothing more. It's a work tool. End of story.
My other car is a Nissan, & it does the job as a family car as well.

When the time comes to change my Ute, I'll look at all the makes/models.
Not just Fords.

All this Ford/Holden loyalty bores me to sleep...
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Scossie
How can you possibly say that, "Everyone in Australia" in into V8's?
I know hundreds of people in Perth, and can honestly say that I know only 2 people who are remotely interested in V8 racing.

And all this Holden/Ford thing is tediously boring as well!

I personally own a Ford Falcon, 4 litre AUII XL Ute, which I use for work.
People have said to me, "Aahh, You must be a Ford man?".

Nope!

I bought it because it does the job for work, & was good value for money.
Nothing more. It's a work tool. End of story.
My other car is a Nissan, & it does the job as a family car as well.

When the time comes to change my Ute, I'll look at all the makes/models.
Not just Fords.

All this Ford/Holden loyalty bores me to sleep...
It enables Ford and Holden to charge a fortune and rip off the local patriotic buyers. A ford person I work with bought a brand new falcon on finance for over $40,000. 2 years later he had to flog it for $20,000.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future

None of those are muscle cars. Muscle cars are exclusively American or Australian.

I reckon you are on a wind up here. You dont have a car do you? You are a nonce that sits at the computer all day scratching your beard. Get it into your head that Aussies cant build cars! You dont have the expertise that the Europeans have.
Like everything, we have been doing it for longer. It is experience that counts. Now get your mummy to come upstairs and tuck you in and you go to the land of nod and dream about holdens.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mr mover
they will start with a few basic commodores,and prehaps the dual cab utility,in very basic form v6 only, then as acceptance grows so will the market, don,t worry Shanghai has quite a few millionaires, who could easily afford HSV or STATESMAN. .......... mm

Dream on. Give the chinaman some credit. A millionare buying Aussie bolts? Piss off. They already are buying Bently, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar and Range Rover. Australian millionares wouldnt even opt for the scrap you lot build. I doubt the MD of Holden would drive one of his own cars if he had a choice.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Aston martin has never been considered a muscle car (muscle cars are exclusively American or Australian).

At least I will agree with you on this. An Aston would be classed as a supercar. And the top of the range DB9 would be classed as a Hypercar. ie:FAST AS ****
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Aston martin has never been considered a muscle car (muscle cars are exclusively American or Australian).
I agree that the Aston Martin isn't in the same league as the V-8's

After all it is a V-12

Mind you, it is now part of the Ford Family http://www.fast-autos.com/Aston_Martin_DB9.html

Superb V-12 6 litre engine, lightweight aluminum frame, sports suspension, a realistic price and great looks put the new Aston Martin DB9 near the top of the tree in the supercar league. And the DB9 is one of the few 2+2s to offer supercar performance.
Power output: 450 bhp @ 6,000 rpm
Top Speed: 186 mph

The Australian V-8's comparisons:

Ford Falcon AU
Ford Motorsport 5.0 L fuel injected V8 with performance developed
cylinder heads, intake manifold, exhaust system, and Motec engine
management system
480Kw (620 + BHP) at 7500rpm
TOP SPEED: 300kph (185mph)

Holden Commodore VX
Holden Motorsport 5.0 L fuel injected V8 with performance developed
management system

Stone Brothers Racing Ford BA Falcon
Stone Brothers Racing developed 5.0 litre V8 Ford
with SVO cylinder iron block and aluminium heads.
Category control MoTec engine management control system.
620 + BHP & 455 ft lbs torque.
TOP SPEED: 298kph (185mph), 0-100kph: 4.0 seconds

Holden Racing Team Holden VY Commodore
Holden Motorsport 5.0 litre fuel injected V8. Holden Racing Team
developed cylinder heads, intake system and fuel injection and exhaust
system, Category control MoTec engine management control system.
620 + BHP at 7,500 RPM
http://www.v8supercar.com.au/technic...ault.asp?ind=M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:48 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

After all it is a V-12

Mind you, it is now part of the Ford Family http://www.fast-autos.com/Aston_Martin_DB9.html

Superb V-12 6 litre engine, lightweight aluminum frame, sports suspension, a realistic price and great looks put the new Aston Martin DB9 near the top of the tree in the supercar league. And the DB9 is one of the few 2+2s to offer supercar performance.

Ford Falcon AU
management system

Holden Commodore VX
management system

620 + BHP at 7,500 RPM
All I know is that I like enough power. I like a 2.5 v6 or 4 minimum. Those V8 Aussie cars are more powerful than I realised - compare well with the Aston - but I am sure the Aston has class.

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Pickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura aboutPickle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

After all it is a V-12

Ford Falcon AU
management system

Holden Commodore VX
management system

620 + BHP at 7,500 RPM

now thats cheating a little bit a production car with no performance mods against a production ford or holden thats been played with so much it no longer has much in common with the car you buy from the dealer.
i do wish we had some of them holdens over here in england tho, nice big engne and at a price normal people can afford, wouldn't touch a ford if my life depended on it, they stopped making half decent cars about 20 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.