Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Wikiposts

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are cars so expensive down under!

Originally Posted by smood
Dream on. Give the chinaman some credit. A millionare buying Aussie bolts? Piss off. They already are buying Bently, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar and Range Rover. Australian millionares wouldnt even opt for the scrap you lot build. I doubt the MD of Holden would drive one of his own cars if he had a choice.
The chinese would nick the design and start selling knock offs to Australia cheaper than Holden could ever hope to achieve.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:32 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Pickle
I do wish we had some of them holdens over here in england tho, nice big engne and at a price normal people can afford
The Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 is the closest I guess.

Badge

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Badge
All I know is that I like enough power. I like a 2.5 v6 or 4 minimum. Those V8 Aussie cars are more powerful than I realised - compare well with the Aston - but I am sure the Aston has class.
As pickle says, the Aussie V8's (as in the racing supercars) are a bit souped up

An example of the standard road model specs are:
Holden Commodore SS 5.7 litre = 250kw @ 5600 rpm

HSV Clubsport 6.0 litre = 297kw at 6000 rpm

I just re-read my post and noticed the bit about the Aston Martin where it said "a realistic price ", Hmmm (it was a cut and paste )

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Superior
LOL
A lot of people in Australia would disagree with you. But then again, you're pom so thats not surprising?

BTW, I didn't see the F1's competing in Adelaide on the weekend.......? Or at Bathurst - Australias premier car race.
Ahh the inferiority complex coming through again.

I am sure the world of F1 is worried they are missing out on Bathurst.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough

smood
I agree that the cars you listed have big'ish engines but for me personally i would not car them muscle cars compared to the vantage.

i'd also like to point out i love the falcon and the commadore v8's and out of the box there a top car. But for me im more interested in how easy a car is to get more power from ( thats why i drive a RS cosworth and will be bringing it with me )so when i arrive i will be getting the falcon xr6ti,such a tunable engine to start with for little money, it even comes with a gt40 turbo ( which is massive )as standard.

And as i pointed out a few pages ago,the ozzie seem to be coming round to the fact that even though the v8 is a blinding engine out of the box the 6ti turbo engine is a much better bet if you want more power
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Now that's a good question

I think the new cars are cheaper, but the older cars hold the values better due to reduced rusting etc, and therefore not deteriorating as fast. We are talking about the commonly bought cars are we ?
I think 2nd hand cars prices in Oz are artificially inflated to justify new car prices, maintain the 2nd hand market & keep dealers in business (same happens in South Africa). This used to happen in the UK, but now 2nd hand cars are valued at their true worth & in a way show that new cars are overpriced. Another factor, in the UK at least, is that there are more new cars than there are buyers. I business lease a car in the UK & the deal I got was unbelievable (do people do this in Oz btw?), much, much cheaper than buying. I think some manufacturers have more cars than they can sell & have to make really sweet deals to shift them.

I think rusting, high mileage etc is becoming less of an issue as newer cars are built better to deal with this. Also a car kept at the coast is going to rust just as much, if not more, as a car kept in a wet, damp environment like the UK.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

smood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant futuresmood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Badge
The Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 is the closest I guess.

Badge

If you have the money and can find one in good nick, in 1991 Vauxhall and Lotus colaborated and made the fastest production car in the world. The Lotus carlton. 3.6 Litre twin turbo in line 6.