Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

I just had a very quick look at a job vacancy site for Somerset (where I am returning to) and there were 4 pages of vacancies for electricians, I find it strange that there would be zero vacancies wherever Energysolutions is located in the UK.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
That aint my intention

I`m an electrician and am considering WA (undecieded as to which part yet)

You also really need to look at the re-training provisions and requirements for obtaining your full licence to work as an electrician.

Many new immigrants working in trades have reported significant difficulties in obtaining the appropriate certification to work after arrival, with some out of work for many months while doing the required paperwork.

S
Old Feb 8th 2012, 3:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You also really need to look at the re-training provisions and requirements for obtaining your full licence to work as an electrician.

Many new immigrants working in trades have reported significant difficulties in obtaining the appropriate certification to work after arrival, with some out of work for many months while doing the required paperwork.

S
If he can get into a company that is doing mine construction (there is a huge demand for sparkies) then he will be fine. Most of these companies rely on a few of their guys having a licence, and the rest hang off of them. I've heard of outfits doing major mine work and only having one guy with a licence! Individual licensing is only a big issue with domestic and commercial work, or where there are militant unions involved.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
just out of curiosity...... is he an expat? or a true blue?
I've no reason to think he's anything but an Aussie-born Aussie.

I've just returned from my Wednesday golf game: my (Aussie) partner has the exact same problems with the same people, trying to get some trees down but has had excellent service from him, so I'm pretty confident for once.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

SwerveO:

>>I'm not really sure how you could consider coming here sight unseen - I'm not sure if I would be gambling my future security and happiness on something I had never really experienced.<<

Sounds sensible, but I'm not sure if it actually makes much difference - especially for those who can ill-afford to make an expensive rekkie trip "to test the waters".

Prior to emigrating I had visited Australia possibly a couple of dozen times (Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth), had several long vacations here and worked in Sydney on four month postings three times. So I thought I knew a fair amount about the place.

What even extended non-resident stays don't do is expose you to the nitty-gritty of day to day frustrations and disgraceful service (which is where this thread came in). That's not to say that you don't have problems in every other country, 'cos you do. It's just that, in my opinion - and that's all it is, my opinion - Australian frustrations are in a league of their own.

And the thing that sends me over the edge is that you are continually, gratuitously, being told that *everything* Australian is so much better than *anywhere* else. Well, it isn't.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:00 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I've found that lots of the jobs on SEEK don't exist - anything via an agency especially. Jobs that have been filled internally are still advertised - you will just never get a reply. I estimate I got (given up now) one rejection letter for every 20 applications. Work for myself and my partner in Queensland has been an absolute nightmare and I am currently a waitress, and he a barman - we have 5 degrees between us and long work careers. I'm not saying you won't find work but don't assume - we have been well and truly caught out by the job situation in regional Queensland (our visa) and have only survived here as I have an independent income from investments.

We have 3 months to go before we get PR and that's why we are sticking with our degrading low level work. If it's happened to us (I know a few others in the same situation - there are teachers and lawyers cleaning dishes in the hotel I work in) then it can happen to others as well.
I have to agree about the number of ads on SEEK that are just fishing for clients.

They are pretty easy to spot if you monitor the searches for a while, at least in the IT world.

I put extra effort into my latest application (via an agency) because I independently verified that the position actually existed, otherwise I would just be wasting my time.

Good on ya for getting into it, too many people try to find their 'ideal' job and won't take anything else, even if it would build some 'Aussie experience' and maybe some networking opportunities. (Didn't want to type 'networking' because it sounds wanky but failed to find another word ...)
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:09 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Possibly, and I know LOTS of people who arent doing very well at all - there is NO question that in my locality the recession is biting HARD

I was working at a local business park today where easily half of the units are now empty - I can think of 4 that have closed in as many weeks

Hardly signs of a "boom"
Don't think it isn't different here. Australia is quite definitely a two speed economy. WA and parts of QLD are rolling in cash because they're digging them up and flogging them to the Chinese. That's one of the two reasons the dollar is so strong - for the time being. But in the rest of the continent it's very different. Here in "Country" NSW the shops are closing one after the other, the infrastructure is decaying and the charity shops are full. No, not full-on recession, but very much a contrast with the boom areas.

Last edited by Wol; Feb 8th 2012 at 5:12 am.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:16 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I have to agree about the number of ads on SEEK that are just fishing for clients.

They are pretty easy to spot if you monitor the searches for a while, at least in the IT world.

I put extra effort into my latest application (via an agency) because I independently verified that the position actually existed, otherwise I would just be wasting my time.

Good on ya for getting into it, too many people try to find their 'ideal' job and won't take anything else, even if it would build some 'Aussie experience' and maybe some networking opportunities. (Didn't want to type 'networking' because it sounds wanky but failed to find another word ...)
David (my marriage-friend) has altered his name badge to Mohammed and mine to 'Blatt' - he has a beard and I am blonde so closest to Eastern European. It does leave a bitter taste sometimes but it's sort of fun in an upstairs/downstairs type way.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:22 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
David (my marriage-friend) has altered his name badge to Mohammed and mine to 'Blatt' - he has a beard and I am blonde so closest to Eastern European. It does leave a bitter taste sometimes but it's sort of fun in an upstairs/downstairs type way.
When I left school I took a sponsored HND with GEC Marconi which guaranteed a job at the end of it, I was pleased with that when I met up with some high-flyers a few years later.

Apparently particle physics degrees are ideal if you want do stand-up comedy in Newcastle

I'm sure they sorted themselves out eventually ... I'm pretty sure they aren't famous comedians.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 6:49 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeadVim

It,s the same in my trade (Engineering) they Advertise and don't have jobs, if you track them long enough you can see the jobs that are phony..
I,v seen Private advertisers offer a bonus to the applicant for not to going through agents.

I also think that energysolutions is quoting zero jobs from the Seeks UK page and not a UK based site

in the engineering game it seems once they get your CV they mass email it
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
I just had a very quick look at a job vacancy site for Somerset (where I am returning to) and there were 4 pages of vacancies for electricians, I find it strange that there would be zero vacancies wherever Energysolutions is located in the UK.
What site did you use?..thanks
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

You can always find a horror story in any country if you go looking for it. I remember seeing a doco in the UK about two families who had employed two builders to do a renovation. One family employed a Polish builder, the other a Pommie builder. Both were 'cowboys' and at the end, one family said 'next time, we're using a Polish builder' & the other said 'next time, we're using a British builder!'
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

alexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nice

We are currently fitting out a now office and its so frustrating trying to get a local to do any work. This is what you get when the country has not had a recession in nearly 20 years, tight immigration policies that slow the rate of overseas workers and a racists statements from ministers about 457 workers.

So far...
Telstra needed harassing to process an order for $84'000

The tender we sent to 25 plus companies only 2 replied for a $100k fitout, you can guess who runs these two companies. An Irish man and and English man.

Getting the Aussie Real estate agent, building owner and legal company to do any work is f-ing impossible, months of delays because people are "on holiday", "picking up kids for school" or "gone shopping".

Building manager at the new building, lazy unionised toss-pot does everything he can to do no work. One moment says "yeah all is good" the next sits on his fat arse and wont allow a Telstra engineer to do an install because has not got his high viz jacket and hard hat to work in the basement of a building.

Nobody here replies to an email or phone call unless they are British or American.

Trying to source FF&E for the office, again near impossible to get someone to send you a quote or PO.

The Irish guy that replied, turned up to meet us, is doing a solid professional job and adding value to the project has seen my spend with the guy double in value.

My summary is look after the ExPats first, don't piss away your time with the lazy locals line the pockets of the ExPats that jump on the opportunities.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
You can always find a horror story in any country if you go looking for it. I remember seeing a doco in the UK about two families who had employed two builders to do a renovation. One family employed a Polish builder, the other a Pommie builder. Both were 'cowboys' and at the end, one family said 'next time, we're using a Polish builder' & the other said 'next time, we're using a British builder!'
Very true. In the UK, Aussies are seen as hardworking and reliable and the locals are not. Here it's the opposite.

Nature of the beast.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If he can get into a company that is doing mine construction (there is a huge demand for sparkies) then he will be fine. Most of these companies rely on a few of their guys having a licence, and the rest hang off of them. I've heard of outfits doing major mine work and only having one guy with a licence! Individual licensing is only a big issue with domestic and commercial work, or where there are militant unions involved.
Yeah, garden run of the mill sparkies, not much call from what I hear.

My OH is a HV industrial electrician/cable jointer and also does testing. He was flat out last year. I posted about when he was working in the mines around Boddington/Worsley and they just couldn't find the qualified guys to get the job done. They were commissioning subs and there were two qualified guys (and one engineer who couldn't obviously do any hands on stuff) when they needed at least six, realistically, to get the project done on time. His company subcontracts him out to the firms running the mine projects.

Now he's been sent all over the place. And he had two other outfits try and poach him last year. He's keeping them on file just in case.

So, sparkies, get some HV industrial qualifications...it's not a guarantee of anything, but at least here in WA, it seems to better your options than just domestic and commercial experience.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 9th 2012 at 12:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.