Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

Originally Posted by chris955
Why is he the exception ? I know of lots of people doing very well indeed.
Possibly, and I know LOTS of people who arent doing very well at all - there is NO question that in my locality the recession is biting HARD

I was working at a local business park today where easily half of the units are now empty - I can think of 4 that have closed in as many weeks

Hardly signs of a "boom"
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Although "the voice of reason", Chris is more positive about the UK than anyone else in the entire world (certainly more so than any economist). It's like the Simon and Garfunkel song about "the man who hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
It's like the Simon and Garfunkel song about "the man who hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"
That works both ways
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Although "the voice of reason", Chris is more positive about the UK than anyone else in the entire world (certainly more so than any economist). It's like the Simon and Garfunkel song about "the man who hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"
I think the nail has just been hit squarely on its head.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I genuinely believe that the UK is already in recession (perhaps not by much) and that the statistics have been "tweaked" to suggest otherwise

I have the advantage (I use the term loosely) of being here and experiencing it first hand - it aint pretty right now folks
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:40 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
I genuinely believe that the UK is already in recession (perhaps not by much) and that the statistics have been "tweaked" to suggest otherwise

I have the advantage (I use the term loosely) of being here and experiencing it first hand - it aint pretty right now folks
Large areas of Australia are in recession too - it's just that as a whole the strength of some other areas average it to growth yet the wealth doesn't get redistributed. You need to be very careful where you live - the nicer areas (the ones where tourists used to go) are struggling - property is cheap but there's no work. Australia is slowing down now as the Chinese ease their development - BHP figures just out show a 5,5% drop in profits as the iron ore price fell q1+2 2010 - it's fallen again since that and some projects are starting to be shelved. If you're coming come quickly - the government is doing away with LAFHA (imo) to reflect the fact they want to curb the immigration incentives as they expect the economy to slow. Quotas will be reduced in the near future I expect.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Feb 7th 2012 at 11:46 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Why would that be a problem to someone who wants to go back?

With current house prices and the exchange rate it seems a good time to return.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Why would that be a problem to someone who wants to go back?

With current house prices and the exchange rate it seems a good time to return.
It might be a problem if they want employment
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

It might be a problem if they want employment
Do you think they would not have taken that into account?

Jobs aren't exactly being handed out at the airport here either you know.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Round and round and round we go, where we'll stop nobody knows....
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Round and round and round we go, where we'll stop nobody knows....
Yeah.....but it is horribly sticky outside and there is no racing on yet
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you think they would not have taken that into account?

Jobs aren't exactly being handed out at the airport here either you know.
I regulary search on Seek for potential jobs in my profession in the area (general search of my chosen state) I`m consideringa move to

That search has always returned around 600 jobs over a 30 day period or roughly 20 new jobs per day (average)

When I change the search parameters to "UK only" (ie ALL of the UK - not just one part of it) guess how many jobs are on offer?

None - not even one

So, while they arent giving them out in the airport in Oz they cant even give them out in job centres over here
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:56 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I regulary search on Seek for potential jobs in my profession in the area (general search of my chosen state) I`m consideringa move to

That search has always returned around 600 jobs over a 30 day period or roughly 20 new jobs per day (average)

When I change the search parameters to "UK only" (ie ALL of the UK - not just one part of it) guess how many jobs are on offer?

None - not even one

So, while they arent giving them out in the airport in Oz they cant even give them out in job centres over here
If you reveal your profession and where you are heading to you might squeeze out a few balanced answers as to your likely prospects? (without the thread descending to a UK v Australia thing).
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

None - not even one

Take a lot of what is on SEEK with a pinch of salt especially if an agency is involved.

Talk about the number of jobs when you have got one. There are plenty on this forum struggling for work...some have not had a proper job for a long time.

.....not everyone returning to the UK is looking for work so why should it bother them?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Take a lot of what is on SEEK with a pinch of salt especially if an agency is involved.

Talk about the number of jobs when you have got one. There are plenty on this forum struggling for work...some have not had a proper job for a long time.

.....not everyone returning to the UK is looking for work so why should it bother them?
True, and that would be the ideal position to be returning to the UK in

I appreciate what you`re saying regarding the jobs on offer and how many actually exist but in OZ I potentially have 20 chances/day (less the jobs that aint "real") and in the UK 0 chances/day

I`m sure you see my point.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.