Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Australia the most popular spot for expats?

Why is Australia the most popular spot for expats?

Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:52 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Australia the most popular spot for expats?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the UK and I'm amazed that yet again the UK has been bought into it. I know that for the same money at the moment we can get a solid stone (not brick) house that will last 500 years.

Originally Posted by peterb4
None of which changes the fact that Australia is no longer the 'cheap paradise' that expats went there to attain in years gone by.

I did not state that prices didn't go through the roof in the UK - I merely stated that the increases in Australia have, irrespective of anywhere else, been astronomical.

I'd rather buy an over-priced but well-built house in an area where there is plenty to do in the UK than an over-priced asbestos shack in Australia where the only thing to do is go for (yet another) coffee.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 3:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
It has absolutely nothing to do with the UK and I'm amazed that yet again the UK has been bought into it. I know that for the same money at the moment we can get a solid stone (not brick) house that will last 500 years.
Get over it. People bring the UK up for two reasons; one, it's BRITISH Expats and that's what they measure stuff against, and two, it irritates people.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Why would care that your house is Still standing in 500 years? Whats yer secret and have you copyrighted it yet?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather buy an over-priced but well-built house in an area where there is plenty to do in the UK than an over-priced asbestos shack in Australia where the only thing to do is go for (yet another) coffee.
Your guaranteed a far better more comprehensive, cosmoplitan night out in Inner Melbourne than South London.... Signed Ex South Londoner of 23 years ... in fact I'd go as far to say as Brunswick/Northcote/Richmond/Carlton/Fitzroy/North Melbourne.... Are now probably the equal of the best that London has to offer.... Easily in the same league as Camden and Islington.

It's best to know what your talking about before you pipe off...
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnkim
I'm really curious. Why not Canada? Is it because Canada is too cold? Any other reasons?

The only downside of Canada is weather.
  • Tax Rate
  • Price Index
  • Ease of access to USA

What's your take?
What? People think Canada is too cold?

I've never seen "Ease of Access to USA" listed as a positive unless you were a cross border shopper or a ciggies smuggler.

Last edited by Japonica; Sep 13th 2011 at 5:08 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
It's easier to kill a redback spider than a grizzly bear with your shoe.

TartanKoala -this is genius...made me laugh out loud in a busy office (lunchtime)
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

peterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Your guaranteed a far better more comprehensive, cosmoplitan night out in Inner Melbourne than South London.... Signed Ex South Londoner of 23 years ... in fact I'd go as far to say as Brunswick/Northcote/Richmond/Carlton/Fitzroy/North Melbourne.... Are now probably the equal of the best that London has to offer.... Easily in the same league as Camden and Islington.

The element you have overlooked is that there is such a thing as an opinion.

Now, the fact that MY opinion does not match YOUR opinion identically is not a cast-iron indication that I do not know what I am talking about.

Arrogant much?!

You think Melbourne equals/outstrips London? Well, bully for you. I have to agree, do I? And who made THAT rule? You, I'm assuming.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

The element you have overlooked is that there is such a thing as an opinion.

Now, the fact that MY opinion does not match YOUR opinion identically is not a cast-iron indication that I do not know what I am talking about.

Arrogant much?!

You think Melbourne equals/outstrips London? Well, bully for you. I have to agree, do I? And who made THAT rule? You, I'm assuming.
Jeez, what is it with this bunch of aggressive new posters?????
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

peterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nicepeterb4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddie007
I didn't aim to be ''aggressive'' but I thought that Ozthingies post was startlingly arrogant.

He was essentially claiming that because my view doesn't match his view it's fair to say I don't know my stuff.

Sorry - but that's extremely arrogant.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timmy22
I think it is because opposites attract?

I mean why is Perth so popular? But you think about it, it is almost the exact
opposite of say London. Constant clear Blue skies, wide Open spaces etc...

That and Australia is Kinda like Britain...
)
You've just reminded me of a phrase I noticed alot when I first discovered this forum...'wide open spaces' - I'm not sure what people mean..there are parks and the like in the UK - I can see that houses are not detached ...what are these wide open spaces? Aussie suburbia goes on for miles!

For all the talk, Australia is a lot more like the UK than some give credit for, IMHO. There are many references.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You've just reminded me of a phrase I noticed alot when I first discovered this forum...'wide open spaces' - I'm not sure what people mean..there are parks and the like in the UK - I can see that houses are not detached ...what are these wide open spaces? Aussie suburbia goes on for miles!

For all the talk, Australia is a lot more like the UK than some give credit for, IMHO. There are many references.
I think it's just perception. It's the same as people (including myself) saying how huge the sky is here. It's obviously not any larger than in the UK but you get an overall feel of space and sky. Unless you spend your life looking only at eyelevel or lower of course.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I said South London.... I know it extremely well. Hence my Nick I may hail from those parts... I May be in daily contact with lots of peeps from there.. but lets face it, it's pretty much a shiit piit.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

I said South London.... I know it extremely well. Hence my Nick I may hail from those parts... I May be in daily contact with lots of peeps from there.. but lets face it, it's pretty much a shiit piit.
I wasn't debating which area(s) of London you were or were not referring to.

I was taking issue with this phrase:

All I was doing was expressing a certain opinion. You then replied with YOUR opinion and suggested that I didn't know what I was talking about before ''piping off''.

You were implying that your opinion (which is that Melbourne equals London for nightlife - which wasn't specifically what I was talking about anyway but whatever) somehow held some kind of extra weight. I was struggling to see why you felt that your opinion was more important/correct than mine.

That is all.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Personally Ed I don't think they are new. I think they are recycled. You can tell, they post in the same style. I can name 1 that I know was banned and has come back as someone else.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
Personally Ed I don't think they are new. I think they are recycled. You can tell, they post in the same style. I can name 1 that I know was banned and has come back as someone else.
Just the one mrs webbley?

If they come back renewed and refreshed and play nicely then give em a fair go, but to come back and start the same shite... Jeeez its boring....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.