British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why Australia ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-australia-227399/)

Dicko Apr 28th 2004 5:14 pm

Why Australia ?

Got into a bit of a discussion today about best places to emigrate? A few lads said they would love Canada some mentioned New Zealand and of course I emphasised the pros for OZ but it got me thinking about why are people on this board choosing OZ above the other places?

I know my main reasons are the weather, lifestyle and the amount of holidays etc to spend with the family.

Just wondering what are other peoples reasons for not choosing the other places?

whisky Apr 28th 2004 5:23 pm

Because my Brother was living here and had been for 36 years when he left on the boat with my Father.
We suddenly started making contact and a couple of visits later. walla we are here and very happy too.

Whisky

nosuchluck Apr 28th 2004 5:34 pm

Re: Why Australia ?

Cos, we can't afford to retire to Antigua, so will work hard to achieve our dream in Australia!
rach x

jasper pentop Apr 28th 2004 6:04 pm

Originally posted by Dicko
Got into a bit of a discussion today about best places to emigrate? A few lads said they would love Canada some mentioned New Zealand and of course I emphasised the pros for OZ but it got me thinking about why are people on this board choosing OZ above the other places?

I know my main reasons are the weather, lifestyle and the amount of holidays etc to spend with the family.

Just wondering what are other peoples reasons for not choosing the other places?
Aust and NZ are on equal footing to me, though Oz with the bigger population might have more to offer - and canada - IT SNOWS AND ITS COLD.
Weather better in Aus :) An better accents than canadian *wink*

CrazyCanuck Apr 28th 2004 6:10 pm

> and canada - IT SNOWS AND ITS COLD.
> Weather better in Aus :)

That's right... Canada is too bloody COLD!!!!

Darren&Leanne Apr 28th 2004 7:38 pm

Originally posted by CrazyCanuck

We are going to oz for the weather,better education for my daughter,friendly people,relaxed atmosphere instead of the rush rush factor in england.
more time to spend relaxing at the weekends with family etc,
Not as much crime,drugs etc.
Look how long it takes a uk citizen to get into oz and how long it takes a non uk citizen to get into the uk.

Good Thread.

Darren&Leanne Apr 28th 2004 7:43 pm

Originally posted by CrazyCanuck

We are going to oz for the weather,better education for my daughter,friendly people,relaxed atmosphere instead of the rush rush factor in england.
Look how long it takes a uk citizen to get into oz and how long it takes a non uk citizen to get into the uk.

Good Thread.

Don Apr 28th 2004 7:59 pm

Think economics. Aus = same GDP per capita as UK. NZ = same GDP per capita as Burundi.

Money isn't everything. :D :cool: :beer: :beer: :beer:

walaj Apr 28th 2004 8:02 pm

First criteria, an english speaking country would help integration.

First thought about emigrating when we were in Sth Africa, but dismiss there given it still has a lot of issues to sort out.

Canada, I like my diving and I don't want to cut a hole in the ice to do so :D

USA, would have to be by the coast (see above), lack of holiday entitlement for employees and generally it never appealed to us for anything more than a visit.

NZ, would have been harder for us to get in, but given lack of population the kind of work being sought would be difficult to come by.

Oz, cause we can (got the points :) ), I liked the placed from what I saw when visiting (took hubbie), talking to people who had emigrated/spent considerable time there, and prospects for jobs in Sydney are there.

Climate comes into it, as well as being able to afford to get there, try it out, stay if we like it, return if we don't.

Mainly cause we can, so why not :D

Don Apr 28th 2004 8:13 pm

Originally posted by walaj
First criteria,
:D
What's this about bun in oven?

Mel Gibson Apr 28th 2004 10:20 pm

Regarding Canada, who wants to live in a country where if you go to take a leak outside you have to have your penis amputated
because of frost bite. they drive on the wrong side of the road and there are alot of French people who want a separate state
and want you to give up English and speak French.
New Zealand only has a population of 3.8 million compared to
Australia's 20 million, its economy is stagnant compared to Australia's booming economy, ther are more employment opportunities in Australia which is shown by the large numbers of New Zealanders who immigrate to Australia every year. Maori
and Pacific Islanders make up 15% of the population and there are more racial and land rights problems compared to Australia where Aboriginals only make up 1.5% of the population.
New Zealand has some nice mountain scenery, but your better off living in Australia and going there for a holiday. Australia
has a better climate, better economy, better beaches and more things to do.

MrsDagboy Apr 28th 2004 11:22 pm

Originally posted by leannefr
You must live in a pretty bad area if you are thinking about moving to Logan City & think there will be less crime & drugs :scared: :scared: :scared: .

hevs Apr 28th 2004 11:32 pm

OH MY GOD!!!!:scared: :scared:

Badge Apr 29th 2004 12:36 am

I've got my helmet on and ready for the flak!!!

WARNING There is crime in Australia. Write it out 100 times.

HOWEVER you are more likely to be able to afford a NICE area in Australia than the UK due to the favourable FX rate..

BM

woody1974 Apr 29th 2004 1:54 am

All valid points but the one that sealed it for me was actually goin there. Its a different world as regards to lifestyle and big city locations (near the sea), as they say if you dont try and all.
ATB
:D

Grayling Apr 29th 2004 7:38 am

Good Thread.
Good luck to you but perhaps you should do a bit more homework or be prepared for a few surprises.

G

helinuk Apr 29th 2004 2:12 pm

Good Thread.
Try reading the www.theage.com

there are stories of crime, education cuts, strikes etc......

ok I'm playing devils advocate
I would like to move to oz too.
I have visited 6 times and do know what I'm letting myself in for -my feet are on the ground:D

lauralollipop Apr 29th 2004 2:26 pm

Hi

for us its the weather and the lifestyle, lots of surfing without wetsiuts, yipee!!

I have family there and spent xmas there a couple of years ago, it was brill having xmas in the sun and having a barbi and a champagne breakfast....

All of my cousins all had their own children and they had a great lifesytle, good education and a fantastic outdoor family life....

The beaches were mint, it was clean and tidy, the sea was warm and the sun shone almost everyday.

I went to look at properties, which were lots bigger than mine but were also lots cheaper.

The people were all lovely and the shop assistants very cheerful and polite, the streets were clean and the shops were cheap......

after work my auntie and uncle had barbi's for their tea and we all drank beers sitting in the spa in the garden. When i did my washing it was hung out and dried straight away, (unlike here) i woke up at 6am each morning feeling happy as the sun shone through my bedroom window.......

and my family are all great!
cant wait to go

good luck to you all

love
laura
xxx

elbow Apr 29th 2004 2:28 pm

I decided to go after seeing the VB ad when i was over there. Quality!

callé Apr 29th 2004 2:39 pm

I want out of the U.S. thats the main thing. part of me would love to go home to England. Lots of rellies and theres no place on earth like England.:) but its cold there and I'm afraid I love the heat. I would think I would get depressed over the weather. That may seem silly, but its true. I have a few rellies that have visited Oz and love it. So I started checking it out myself. For the last 5 years!!! books, newspapers, internet. Everything I could get my hands on. Now I have fallen in love with it. I know there are still problems over there (crime, drugs, and so on), but I still believe its a better place for me , my hubby and our children.

jandjuk Apr 29th 2004 3:00 pm

Originally posted by Mel Gibson
Maori
and Pacific Islanders make up 15% of the population and there are more racial and land rights problems compared to Australia where Aboriginals only make up 1.5% of the population.
charming reason. Oz nice and white for you huh? They've managed to keep their indigenous population nice and repressed - keep them out of your hair eh?

flying dutchman Apr 29th 2004 3:08 pm

We choose Australia when we learnt that you get given a house with a sea view when you arrive and they stick a free pool in the garden too!

Never having to work again was appealing too as the state will pay for your upkeep and deliver slabs to be consumed by your free pool.

Oops! Sorry! Been typing with my rose tinted specs on by accident. Must stop wearing them till we get off the plane...;)

Don Apr 29th 2004 6:59 pm

Originally posted by flying dutchman
We choose Australia when we learnt that you get given a house with a sea view when you arrive and they stick a free pool in the garden too!

Never having to work again was appealing too as the state will pay for your upkeep and deliver slabs to be consumed by your free pool.

Oops! Sorry! Been typing with my rose tinted specs on by accident. Must stop wearing them till we get off the plane...;)
Well, that can be remarkably close to the truth for some people...!:)

Simone Apr 29th 2004 9:20 pm

Originally posted by Mel Gibson
Maori
What the...??
You must be kidding!!!!!

I actually thought there were less 'problems' with the Maoris??

Have you missed everything about landrights, stolen generation, drinking problems, unemployment etc etc in Oz??

Oh, why Australia?
Cos I grew up there and still have friends there. And know (part of) the place. I want an adventure, but it doesn't have to be to big....

I think overall New Zealand would be nice too, bit cold though...but I've survived here for 8 years too...

badri Apr 29th 2004 10:16 pm

Well, first of all we wanted to move from The netherlands because it is too cold over here. We wanted to go to a place where the weather is always warm, OK there are many countries that have nice climates, but we liked Australia the best.
The other reasons are: space, nice people, better possibilities in jobs, beautiful nature.

Dicko Apr 30th 2004 2:18 pm

Hey thanks for all the replies, getting a bit worried for a minute that it was getting into a political debate, but turned round in the end :D
Anyway most peoples reasons seem to be the same as mine, and no I dont were rose tinted specs as I have been stung before with that :(

But thats another story for another time!

cheers and good luck :beer:

Rosy Apr 30th 2004 3:53 pm

Good Thread.
Your reasons were my reasons 3 years ago...

Now, having been there and done that, I would say THINK VERY CAREFULLY.

Yes, I do miss the beautiful weather we had in Brisbane (it could NEVER be too hot for me!!!) and yes, it was nice at first to stop rushing about like we used to here in the UK.

However, the education was dire - both my two were at a very good primary school in Brisbane Bayside, yet both went backwards for the 18 months they were there (not just my biased parental opinion, but that of the UK teachers they came back to).

The "Oh to stop rushing around" dream soon turned into the "God, this is boring" reality (again, not just my opinion, see other threads on this topic).

We didn't experience any more or any less crime/drugs in Oz than we were used to in the UK (although I accept that we moved from a relatively affluent, middle class area of SE England to a definitely up-market suburb in Brisbane).

I liked where we lived in Oz very much, and still miss it a great deal (particularly on days like this when the English weather sucks big time!) , but on balance, with two children (one of whom starts secondary school this year) I felt England was the preferred option.

All I am saying is, DON'T go because you think your children will get a better education and you'll experience less crime. DO go if you prefer the Australian culture and way of life.

Darren&Leanne Apr 30th 2004 4:31 pm

Originally posted by Rosy
Your reasons were my reasons 3 years ago...

Now, having been there and done that, I would say THINK VERY CAREFULLY.

Yes, I do miss the beautiful weather we had in Brisbane (it could NEVER be too hot for me!!!) and yes, it was nice at first to stop rushing about like we used to here in the UK.

However, the education was dire - both my two were at a very good primary school in Brisbane Bayside, yet both went backwards for the 18 months they were there (not just my biased parental opinion, but that of the UK teachers they came back to).

The "Oh to stop rushing around" dream soon turned into the "God, this is boring" reality (again, not just my opinion, see other threads on this topic).

We didn't experience any more or any less crime/drugs in Oz than we were used to in the UK (although I accept that we moved from a relatively affluent, middle class area of SE England to a definitely up-market suburb in Brisbane).

I liked where we lived in Oz very much, and still miss it a great deal (particularly on days like this when the English weather sucks big time!) , but on balance, with two children (one of whom starts secondary school this year) I felt England was the preferred option.

All I am saying is, DON'T go because you think your children will get a better education and you'll experience less crime. DO go if you prefer the Australian culture and way of life.

ok. fairy nuff.
I visited Sydney last Oct to visit my brother and the way of life and the friendly people were fantastic.
I know that i won`t find the perfect life there but it has to be better than the uk at the moment.
If everything doesn`t work out we can always come back and at least say we tried.#
I`m hoping to live in Brisbane around Acacia Ridge area.
I currently live near Leeds.
Hoping to be there around Oct.

Rosy Apr 30th 2004 5:05 pm

ok. fairy nuff.
I visited Sydney last Oct to visit my brother and the way of life and the friendly people were fantastic.
I know that i won`t find the perfect life there but it has to be better than the uk at the moment.
If everything doesn`t work out we can always come back and at least say we tried.#
I`m hoping to live in Brisbane around Acacia Ridge area.
I currently live near Leeds.
Hoping to be there around Oct.
Hope it works out well for you - for what it's worth, I'd try Sydney rather than Brisbane...

ABCDiamond May 1st 2004 1:18 am

Originally posted by flying dutchman

!!! What !!!!! I didn't get the pool !!! :D

Darren&Leanne May 1st 2004 9:22 am

Originally posted by Rosy
Hope it works out well for you - for what it's worth, I'd try Sydney rather than Brisbane...

I would have loved Sydney, but real estate prices are WAY out of our league.
My brother has been in Sydney for 4 years now and is moving up to Brisbane to be near us when we arrive.

ABCDiamond May 1st 2004 9:36 am

My brother has been in Sydney for 4 years now and is moving up to Brisbane to be near us when we arrive.
I moved up from Sydney to Brisbane 15 months ago:)

I prefer Brisbane, but that's just my personal taste, I prefer the peace and quiet :)

Grayling May 1st 2004 9:59 am

It seems that prices in some of the nicer areas of Brisbane have also increased.Certainly since I was last there 3 years ago.
Some of the Commutable areas around sydney may not be hugely more expensive.
I think I would be inclined to go where the better work prospects were rather than house prices although I understand we all hae different circumstances.

Good luck

G

ABCDiamond May 1st 2004 10:06 am

Originally posted by Grayling
It seems that prices in some of the nicer areas of Brisbane have also increased.Certainly since I was last there 3 years ago.
Some of the Commutable areas around sydney may not be hugely more expensive.
I think I would be inclined to go where the better work prospects were rather than house prices although I understand we all hae different circumstances.

Good luck

G
Oh Yes, I agree, they have !! Big time too !

Some recent Brisbane actual price examples:

4 bed House:
June 1999 $230k, April 2001 $255k, Dec 2002 $385k, now $500k

3 bed house: March 2003 $212k, now $300k

Grayling May 1st 2004 10:18 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Oh Yes, I agree, they have !! Big time too !

Some recent Brisbane actual price examples:

4 bed House:
June 1999 $230k, April 2001 $255k, Dec 2002 $385k, now $500k

3 bed house: March 2003 $212k, now $300k
ABCD
Are the prices rising faster in Brisbane than in sydney? For example.
Is here a theoretical point where prices will start to be comparable between cities/states.

I am talking about the major populated areas.

I know you can't predict but is there a trend?

This matters because many people are not in a position to move for maybe a year or two yet planning can only be done on today's prices.

G

ABCDiamond May 1st 2004 10:33 am

ABCD
Are the prices rising faster in Brisbane than in sydney? For example.
Is here a theoretical point where prices will start to be comparable between cities/states.

I am talking about the major populated areas.

I know you can't predict but is there a trend?

This matters because many people are not in a position to move for maybe a year or two yet planning can only be done on today's prices.

G
Remember this is all my personal opinion, so if you act on what I say and it goes wrong - dont blame me !!

I have property in both Sydney and Brisbane suburbs.

I want to sell my Sydney property, and re-invest in Brisbane.

My Sydney property was valued at $380k in Dec 03, I was told I could sell for $475k, but after putting it on the market, I am told I will need to come down to $435k.

One of my Brisbane properties cost $385 in Dec 03, it is now worth about $500k, based on actual sales of lesser properties very recently.

The market in Brisbane has slowed down, more houses staying for sale for a lot longer than they used to, (but then again that was measured in hours back in late 2003). In general prices are not being dropped, unless the seller has a reason to sell quickly.

The market in Sydney has stalled, and now has me concerned, especially with the new anti-investor taxes having been imposed in NSW. I should have sold before they were announced, but I procrastinated too much !

However, with the stamp duty amendements in NSW, no Stamp duty for 1st Home buyers under $500k, those properties may well pick up again.

New stamp duty rules are also coming into effect in QLD today I think.

In one years time ? Sydney up 5% - Brisbane up 10%

Thats my gut feeling. 99.9% sure there will be no repeat of recent rises for some time yet.

Advert: Crystal ball wanted - good price paid, contact me now ! :D

Grayling May 1st 2004 10:43 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Remember this is all my personal opinion, so if you act on what I say and it goes wrong - dont blame me !!

I have property in both Sydney and Brisbane suburbs.

I want to sell my Sydney property, and re-invest in Brisbane.

My Sydney property was valued at $380k in Dec 03, I was told I could sell for $475k, but after putting it on the market, I am told I will need to come down to $435k.

One of my Brisbane properties cost $385 in Dec 03, it is now worth about $500k, based on actual sales of lesser properties very recently.

The market in Brisbane has slowed down, more houses staying for sale for a lot longer than they used to, (but then again that was measured in hours back in late 2003). In general prices are not being dropped, unless the seller has a reason to sell quickly.

The market in Sydney has stalled, and now has me concerned, especially with the new anti-investor taxes having been imposed in NSW. I should have sold before they were announced, but I procrastinated too much !

However, with the stamp duty amendements in NSW, no Stamp duty for 1st Home buyers under $500k, those properties may well pick up again.

New stamp duty rules are also coming into effect in QLD today I think.

In one years time ? Sydney up 5% - Brisbane up 10%

Thats my gut feeling. 99.9% sure there will be no repeat of recent rises for some time yet.

Advert: Crystal ball wanted - good price paid, contact me now ! :D
Thanks ABCD

I was thinking the situation may be as you described.
If you could predict the market then you would be very rich and not tell the rest of us:D

This may confirm my earlier though that Brisbane and Sydney prices will get closer, at least in some parts.
If that is the case then other factors (rather than house prices) will determine the 'best' place to live.
IMO house prices should only be part of the equation and not the main reason to move anywhere.

G

MikeStanton May 1st 2004 3:09 pm

Thanks ABCD

If you could predict the market then you would be very rich and not tell the rest of us:D

This may confirm my earlier though that Brisbane and Sydney prices will get closer, at least in some parts.
If that is the case then other factors (rather than house prices) will determine the 'best' place to live.
IMO house prices should only be part of the equation and not the main reason to move anywhere.

G
Having just sold a house in Sydney recently, I think your general 5% rise is probably too optimistic, but, of course, suburbs vary. The comments I received from our estate agent (one of the few I would trust) were that house prices will remain pretty static for the next 1-2 years - perhaps increase in-line with inflation. There is an oversupply of flats/units - similar outlook, but with a much bigger risk of a price fall of ~10-15%.

ABCDiamond May 2nd 2004 1:44 am

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Having just sold a house in Sydney recently, I think your general 5% rise is probably too optimistic, but, of course, suburbs vary. The comments I received from our estate agent (one of the few I would trust) were that house prices will remain pretty static for the next 1-2 years - perhaps increase in-line with inflation. There is an oversupply of flats/units - similar outlook, but with a much bigger risk of a price fall of ~10-15%.
Yes, I suppose this is where all the area differences again come into play. And it needs highlighting for everyone.

Units and Apartments - I would even go as far as saying that it may even be greater than a 10-15% drop, in some areas. Even Units in Brisbane are not expected to grow much over the next few years.
eg info from Residex: "due to the unprecedented growth in the Brisbane market last year, most of the predictions for the next 5 years for units in Brisbane, even those in the top 50, are very low (0-4% range)"

Houses in Western Suburbs, which is where I was and still have property, could still rise. After all, you can still buy a 3 bed house for $289,000 out near Penrith, and with Stamp Duty being abolished for First Home buyers under $500k in NSW, it makes it look pretty attractive. And its only just over 1 hour to Sydney CBD.

I agree fully that the higher priced properties in Central Sydney, may have difficulties in increasing prices.

And of course, we have the simple question - 5% growth based on what? The value expectations that some had in say December 2003, or the current selling prices of today?

eg: My property in W Sydney, that could have easily sold in Dec 2002 for $380k, (a 35% rise since Dec 2002), was valued for sale in Feb 2004 at $479k, (an annual growth of 22%) based on previous growth. It never actually sold at that price, but could now sell for $435k. (an annual growth of 12%), or a drop of 9.2% since it was "valued" in Feb 2004, depending on what statistic figure you use.

ABCDiamond May 2nd 2004 1:59 am

Thanks ABCD

G
Grayling,
Something else for you to chew over :D
The properties that I used in my earlier post as examples, which were similar prices in Dec 2002, are in very different locations.
The Sydney one is in the Outer Western Suburbs, whilst the Brisbane one is East and just 2 minutes from the water, and is a much better house.

To compare locations, this property is 48km out from Sydney CBD $289,500 and this one 46kms from Brisbane CBD $220,000.
Actually I thought the price difference would be much greater !
I've not been concentrating on the West of Brisbane much recently.

If you want to invest about $125, there are Property Investment Reports available, that give pretty good advise on what "may" happen. But of course these things are never guaranteed :)