Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Asians and british themselves russing towards Australia

Why Asians and british themselves russing towards Australia

Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:31 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why Asians and british themselves russing towards Australia

yep koh is till in uk - working on airbus bits....
he has civil and military aerospace clearance here and has his own 'stamp'
he has been contacted independantly about working in oz - specifically on military projects so were hoping that it will mean he can work for this kind of company without having citizenship...
if not he will just have to look for regular toolmaker/cnc work, seems to be a fair bit of it in adelaide so fingers crossed...

otherwise hes going to send me out to work!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:39 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Asians and british themselves russing towards Australia

Originally Posted by Hutch
There's a certain clique on this site that see themselves as the official Rose-Tinted Spec Removers. They're the ones that spit out the stock responses about crime, red tape, property costs etc. They believe they're doing naive potential migrants a favour. However, as you yourself have said - it often confuses the issue rather than providing any sort of illumnination on the subject.
I haven't been posting here long, I came to BE looking for info on a particular visa situation and happened to read through a few other posts, made a few comments and now I guess I'm probably one of those people you talk about above as I've 'spat out' the odd stat here and there.

To set the record straight...i like Australia, I have a good life in Australia....i work less hours...get paid the same...the money goes further and I have a great house I could never get in the UK. At the same time I don't have any real attachment to the place...I feel it lacks something (*prepares to be flamed and get the usual barrage of 'go home then' comments*).

I dont mind anyone criticising the UK vs Australia if there is some basis in fact (e.g. my car gets broken into more in the UK) or if we're talking about something where individual opinion is most important (e.g. Australian TV is better , sorry that was a ridiculous example) - but if someone is giving a reason for migrating of something that is actually worse in Australia why shouldn't you point that out to them - maybe that person is making a mistake!?
Old Jun 29th 2007, 3:08 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I haven't been posting here long, I came to BE looking for info on a particular visa situation and happened to read through a few other posts, made a few comments and now I guess I'm probably one of those people you talk about above as I've 'spat out' the odd stat here and there.
Nope. Wasn't referring to you.

To set the record straight...i like Australia, I have a good life in Australia....i work less hours...get paid the same...the money goes further and I have a great house I could never get in the UK. At the same time I don't have any real attachment to the place...I feel it lacks something (*prepares to be flamed and get the usual barrage of 'go home then' comments*).
Don't know why you'd get flamed for saying that. Everyone's different, has different expectations, different attitudes ... different everything. To get flamed for saying you think Oz 'lacks something' would be like me slagging you off because you like the colour orange, but think that blue rocks.

If someone is giving a reason for migrating of something that is actually worse in Australia why shouldn't you point that out to them - maybe that person is making a mistake!?
No problem with it per se, it's the macros that some people on this site spit out any time a comparison is drawn between the UK and Oz. The problem is that most things are arbitrary. You think the TV sucks, but others (CSI fanatics, for instance) might think it's great. Others talk about crime - the biggest crime in this town last month was the theft of two outboard motors. Others talk about hoons doing doughnuts in V8s - I have yet to witness this in a year living here and many visits prior to that. Others say there's no choice in the supermarkets, I scratch my head and stare at the 50 different varieties of loaves in my local Coles. Others say they find Australians unwelcoming - I've found the exact opposite. The bottom line is that there are very few things that you can categorically state about living in this country ... and that's my problem with the whole, "If you think it's bad in the UK ... " style of post. [Edited to add:] Of course, the "UK's over-run with immigrants and I can't wait to get to Oz ..." style posts are no better.

Last edited by Hutch; Jun 29th 2007 at 3:11 am.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:59 am
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Think you'll find he's still in the UK.
Maybe. But I found out anyway on the internet and by contacting a mate back home.
Parts are made in 40 different countries around the world including Oz.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark213
The OP is right. The number of higher paid and available job opportunites in the IT sector vaastly outnumber the quantity in Australia.

Australia is more about lifestyle for most... Thats why I came here. It wasnt for the money and not for the career.
Hi Mark,

If you recall we spoke (wrote ?) a wee while ago as we're in similar fields.

How are things going in Perth ? We've just validated on a recce trip to brisbane. It was awesome !
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Katsmajics other half !!!;4977843]i personally feel the UK is going nowhere........i am a toolmaker and the impression i get from manufacturing is that it is dying on its feet.........the company i work for has started sending work into China as its soo much cheaper to make it over there.
QUOTE]

Oh my god, wait til you get to Australia ... everything is made in China!!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:57 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
yep koh is till in uk - working on airbus bits....
he has civil and military aerospace clearance here and has his own 'stamp'
he has been contacted independantly about working in oz - specifically on military projects so were hoping that it will mean he can work for this kind of company without having citizenship...
You had better make sure that you are able to get security clearance before you make too many plans if you are planning to rely on defence work.

Other people on this site have found that citizenship is required.

Security clearance in the UK will count for very little in Australia.....be careful.

G
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

tequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nice

Oh my god, wait til you get to Australia ... everything is made in China!!!
Believe me.... the World and it's mother are all manufacturing in China. As someone who has to visit the country every month or so, I can tell you everyone is there. Footwear manufacturers, electronics, metalwork, car parts even cars.... everything and every huge name..... they may still say made in the UK, USA, Aus or wherever, but guarenteed at least 40/50% of the parts are made in China if not all!
They have made China a complete S***hole! The place is smog heaven.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tequila
Believe me.... the World and it's mother are all manufacturing in China. As someone who has to visit the country every month or so, I can tell you everyone is there. Footwear manufacturers, electronics, metalwork, car parts even cars.... everything and every huge name..... they may still say made in the UK, USA, Aus or wherever, but guarenteed at least 40/50% of the parts are made in China if not all!

"They" have also made it, the country which will very soon overtake the US as the worlds most influential and dominant country.

Back to thread, Another reason that Brits in particular move here, is the feeling of real "Freedom" as to how one lives, Australia possibly gives one more lifestyle choices, either Urban, or Rural, Self Sufficient, or consumerist, all without the social stigma of social class. Not many people mention this, personally it seems to be a valid point.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tequila
China has one major problem.
The cities are rich , the country side is poor roll on the revolution.......mm
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by back to ruin
Thanks for the advice Hutch
It's just that every time I read on here when someone mentions crime stats or cost of living etc the replies are something like 'just as bad here', 'worse than uk', and so on. I think to myself what's the point in emigrating. I am just very confused.
Like Hutch says, most of the rose-tinted remover types are probably a tad miffed about what Australia has personally dealt them. Others are so scared of appearing unbalanced (!) that they will queue up to say much the same.

If you follow Hutch's Rules, and I could have written half of them, you might find what you are looking for. Especially the First and the Last.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
things in favour of migration to Australia
*Less crime
*Less Rain
*Less People
*Less Litter
*Less Cars
*Less Red tape
*Less Spongers
*Less Dark Nights
*Less Gordon Brown
*Less Class System
*Less Petrol Prices
*Less quavers
and the list goes on

Here in SE Melbourne, that list is bang on.

See what I mean, I give you Hutch's No 1 rule....

It's all relative.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NickyC
Yes and it's also only a tiny part of Redfern - literally 2-3 streets only. And it's not a no-go area because there are roaming gangs - it's a no-go area because it's full of aboriginal housing and just not the best place to park your car on a dark night.

I can't think of any other part of Sydney that's no-go, at all.
Likewise Melbourne, frankly. Most of the inner cities are being bought up slowly by yuppies and those that do will balance out those that don't. It issome of the new estates that will breed crime, if anything.

As for gangland slayings and shootouts - they are still rare.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by back to ruin
Thanks for the advice Hutch
It's just that every time I read on here when someone mentions crime stats or cost of living etc the replies are something like 'just as bad here', 'worse than uk', and so on. I think to myself what's the point in emigrating. I am just very confused.
There are a lot of people on here (particularly in the MBTUK forum) who are unhappy in Australia for a variety of reasons, a lot of it is to do with missing family and friends, feeling like an outsider, career hasnt gone to plan etc. Some people just don't connect or feel an affinity with Australian culture, people and way of life. Emigrating takes a lot of work and effort and an exceptionally positive attitude and not everyone will succeed. Sometimes people are just "British" to their core and there is nothing wrong with that. As a result of their unhappiness and a certain pride and defensivness people feel towards their homeland, they develop an "agenda." That is to promote the positives of the UK and exaggerate the negatives of Australia or convince themselves of certain things. For one thing there is no way near the amount of violent crime in Australia as there is the UK. I don't hear of teenagers being stabbed and shot in Perth homes and streets. Some people have suggested that it is almost as crowded in Australia as it is in the UK. How can this be? perth for example has a similar land area to Greater London and yet has only 20 per cent of the population. The UK is renowned for its no-go zones. Same as the US. There is not a single no-go zone area in Perth for me. There is a lot of space and less crime here - that is a fact in my opinion. There is great weather and an outdoor lifestyle - this suits me and my family. The UK has other facets to it that are positive that Oz doesnt, like promixity to Europe. I have seen Europe and to be honest I find Asia more interesting, and better for a two week break each year, but that's me. Other people are different.

Australia is a great country and you may well love it. You can always go home and have had a great adventure in the meantime - after all a very small percentage of people ever get the chance to live abroad.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
There's a certain clique on this site that see themselves as the official Rose-Tinted Spec Removers. They're the ones that spit out the stock responses about crime, red tape, property costs etc. They believe they're doing naive potential migrants a favour. However, as you yourself have said - it often confuses the issue rather than providing any sort of illumnination on the subject.

Admittedly some people do think they'll find paradise on earth in Oz, but most people are fully aware of the ups and downs that await them - and it's those people that get most discouraged by such automatic responses. I was a fully-fledged member of the rose-tinted spec brigade before moving here. I endured all sorts of crap from certain members of this site, trotting out the stock response "Wait until you live here..." Well, I've lived here a year now and, guess what, my rose tints are still on. My life here is good - measurably better for me and for my family. It doesn't work out for everyone - but the odds are overwhelmingly in your favour. It isn't England in the sun, it's not perfect, it has a lot of growing up to do, but it suits me and mine just fine.
Just wondering how Australia has to grow up?? become more politically correct maybe (heaven forbid??)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.