WHV Crackdown

Old Nov 15th 2009, 3:01 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default WHV Crackdown

A government crackdown on fraudulent second-year working holiday visa applications has resulted in rising numbers of backpackers withdrawing their applications, according to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). DIAC director of working holiday section Deirdre Russack told delegates at the Adventure and Backpacker Industry Conference (ABiC) an Irish backpacker had his visa cancelled after he was found to have submitted a fraudulent application.

I am curious as to why Australia and media publicise to Australians every single flexing of the muscle regarding foreigners, etc.?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 9:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: WHV Crackdown

Originally Posted by balkanghost
A government crackdown on fraudulent second-year working holiday visa applications has resulted in rising numbers of backpackers withdrawing their applications, according to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). DIAC director of working holiday section Deirdre Russack told delegates at the Adventure and Backpacker Industry Conference (ABiC) an Irish backpacker had his visa cancelled after he was found to have submitted a fraudulent application.

I am curious as to why Australia and media publicise to Australians every single flexing of the muscle regarding foreigners, etc.?
Probably in the hope that the people getting the fraudulent visas read it and don't bother, or withdraw their applications.

That will leave more time for DIAC to process genuine applications of all types, instead of wasting valuable time on fraud.

Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:57 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanghost
I am curious as to why Australia and media publicise to Australians every single flexing of the muscle regarding foreigners, etc.?[/I]
Same reasons "Border security" exists to dissuade people from ending up on it.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 12:00 am

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

And before you shine to great a light on us Paddies

http://tumbrella.com.au/2009/10/25/a...0%99-to-leave/

British travellers have become the single largest group of people staying in Australia illegally after their visa has expired, according to the Aussie immigration minister.

The minister, Chris Evans, has told the Australian Parliament that the majority of visa over-stayers are English men under 25 who are simply having too good a time to go home.

“Visa overstayers are people who come on a valid visa, who then become unlawful overstayers,” said Evans.

He added: “They’re often young Englishmen who have gone to a party and are a few days late because they’re having such a good time in Sydney. Or they’ve met a young lady and having a good time.”
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
And before you shine to great a light on us Paddies

http://tumbrella.com.au/2009/10/25/a...0%99-to-leave/

British travellers have become the single largest group of people staying in Australia illegally after their visa has expired, according to the Aussie immigration minister.

The minister, Chris Evans, has told the Australian Parliament that the majority of visa over-stayers are English men under 25 who are simply having too good a time to go home.

“Visa overstayers are people who come on a valid visa, who then become unlawful overstayers,” said Evans.

He added: “They’re often young Englishmen who have gone to a party and are a few days late because they’re having such a good time in Sydney. Or they’ve met a young lady and having a good time.”
As if we would
Though quite why Chris Evans thinks the English are the only men who overstay their visas after meeting young ladies, I'm not quite sure!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As if we would
Though quite why Chris Evans thinks the English are the only men who overstay their visas after meeting young ladies, I'm not quite sure!
It's well documented that the Brits are often habitual overstayers. Generally they are easy to deal with though I should imagine.

Rapid exit to an airport and a ban on a Tourist Visa for 3 years. Actually fairly easy to adminster and lets DIMA (or whatever they are called now) fry larger fish.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:28 am

I agree as soon as the option of Villawood is mentioned its straight back on the plane to Blighty and home in time for tea and sandwhich's.

Cant blame them.

However overstaying a valid VISA in the hope of staying in Oz for life is a fools option.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

i overstayed 2 days on my WHV for all the reasons evans said

all the bloke at customs said on way out was hope you had a great year in oz
Old Nov 16th 2009, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
I agree as soon as the option of Villawood is mentioned its straight back on the plane to Blighty and home in time for tea and sandwhich's.
Exactly. I'm not sure if DIMA etc would even accompany them to the airport!!!

Some of these backpackers get picked up in some pretty remote areas - I found myself in regional WA when a group of DIMA inspectors turned up so unless there is organisation and transport arranged to get the people to an airport maybe they are allowed to re-patriate themselves in a given window or become a marked card...and then suffer the consequences down the road when they are found, or turn up elsewhere - even if it is to repatriate themselves.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Good! I personally think this 'crackdown' is long overdue. I've met loads of people on their 2nd WHVs and all of them were obtained fraudulently. Other than myself and my partner I don't know anyone who has obtained them legally.

Just my 2 cents

Lisa
Old Nov 16th 2009, 2:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's well documented that the Brits are often habitual overstayers. Generally they are easy to deal with though I should imagine.

Rapid exit to an airport and a ban on a Tourist Visa for 3 years. Actually fairly easy to adminster and lets DIMA (or whatever they are called now) fry larger fish.
Oh I know its well documented, I just found it funy that he named the ENglish guys as the main overstayers for that reason........does that mean they are the only nation led by that small part of their anatomy.....?

Originally Posted by LisaIan
Good! I personally think this 'crackdown' is long overdue. I've met loads of people on their 2nd WHVs and all of them were obtained fraudulently. Other than myself and my partner I don't know anyone who has obtained them legally.

Just my 2 cents

Lisa
I agree Lisa. Some of us jump through hoops to get here and to stay legally. Visa fraud is visa fraud, whether its a WHV or a skills visa or whatever.

(personal comment there, not as a Mod!)
Old Nov 16th 2009, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by oz miller man
i overstayed 2 days on my WHV for all the reasons evans said
2 Days is an easy one to over look.