Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to find an I.T job ? online, on phone or walkin

How to find an I.T job ? online, on phone or walkin

Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post How to find an I.T job ? online, on phone or walkin

Hello to all of you guys n girls,

I am basically SAP certified (with project management experience for more than 5 years)

so i have been applying 5-8 jobs everyday .. since one month, but not a single reply message or call .. any suggestion in this regard is welcome,

i normally apply through www.seek.com.au , www.career.com.au

i also made a profile with my resume on www.linkme.com.au

i have also mailed the recruiters mentioned on each jobs. but still its no good.

so what do you guys sugges, should i change the tactic by calling them ?

i have still got few months to actually move to sydney, so trying my luck to get a job before that, although i have mentioned i hve the work visa and is immediately available to work.

regards,

naufil
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find an I.T job ? online, on phone or walkin

You are going to be hard pressed to find a job when you are not in the country. Employers want to be able to interview you and have you start work in a relatively short period of time, so if you are still living in Pakistan you are not able to do that.

Many of us come here without jobs and do what we have to do to get by until we manage to find work in our fields.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:12 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by naufil

I am basically SAP certified (with project management experience for more than 5 years)

so i have been applying 5-8 jobs everyday .. since one month, but not a single reply message or call .. any suggestion in this regard is welcome,

i have also mailed the recruiters mentioned on each jobs. but still its no good.

i have still got few months to actually move to sydney, so trying my luck to get a job before that, although i have mentioned i hve the work visa and is immediately available to work.

regards,

naufil
If you're not in Australia then employers , quite rightly IMO, will not consider you. Put yourself in their shoes. How do they know you're even going to arrive in Australia. If there is someone in Australia who they can interview then why should they risk offering the job to someone they've never met. Its a no brainer
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

regards,

naufil
To be honest Naufil, you are wasting your time sending out your CV etc now. A week before you arrive perhaps - then send it out to agencies etc making it very clear you have a shiny new work visa and will be available for interview in 7 days or less. Then you will have a chance.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

SAS_Analyst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
To be honest Naufil, you are wasting your time sending out your CV etc now. A week before you arrive perhaps - then send it out to agencies etc making it very clear you have a shiny new work visa and will be available for interview in 7 days or less. Then you will have a chance.
Guys, the topicstarter said : "although i have mentioned i have the work visa and is immediately available to work". And I assume that he even has no any invitation. I guess something is wrong with the resume or the applicant didn't spend enough time searching. Sometimes it takes months to find a good position.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Naufil,
My sincere advice is to get into the plane, as you will only get any response once you arrive in Australia. Call few agencies and they will tell you about the job market in SAP. I am Senior Java Developer based in UK and really trying hard but not had much response. I talked to few agencies and they told me that situation is not that bad over there as it is here in UK. Couple of them agreed to forward my cv but no feedback as yet. Job market is generally quite over Christmas but will pick in Jan.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SAS_Analyst
Guys, the topicstarter said : "although i have mentioned i have the work visa and is immediately available to work". And I assume that he even has no any invitation. I guess something is wrong with the resume or the applicant didn't spend enough time searching. Sometimes it takes months to find a good position.
Most agents have to meet prospective candidates before they put the CV forward to the employer. As the applicant is not living locally he's not really likely to be able to nip in for an hours chat with the agent so won't be their priority to call back if they have potential local candidates. Available for work and available to come in tomorrow lunchtime for an interview are very different.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

eurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to alleurosyl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SAS_Analyst
Just to add to that:

I am applying for a job from Oz. I however apply only on jobs that I deem interesting, so thusfar only expressed my interest for 3 job openings.

Lessons learnt:
- Most recruiters will not reply to the application
- You need to call before sending your CV, make yourself 'known' with recruiters, and check they have received the CV/cover letter after upload
- After a day or two, check suitability, ask for feedback even if you are deemed unsuitable for the job, adjust CV and such if needed.
- Personalize cover letters. Make sure they fit the job you are applying for, explain why you are interested in the job.
- From friends here I learnt that directly applying at companies is most successful, however larger businesses will always use a recruiter.

I kept following up with the recruiters, and although my initial applications did not result in anything positive, one of them called me with a similar job description. I said, that is exactly what I am looking for, and 2 days later I had my interview. Not sure yet if I have the job, but at least one hurdle was taken.

P.S. I did not meet the recruiter before the interview, I did stop by their office afterwards tho

Cheers,
Sylvia
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

SAS_Analyst is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spottydog
Most agents have to meet prospective candidates before they put the CV forward to the employer. As the applicant is not living locally he's not really likely to be able to nip in for an hours chat with the agent so won't be their priority to call back if they have potential local candidates. Available for work and available to come in tomorrow lunchtime for an interview are very different.
Thank you spottydog! That's very helpful advice! I suppose that's the main reason why an immigrants should not apply for a job until they've landed onshore!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

regards,

naufil
Sorry, but if you're still in Pakistan, you're not "immediately available to work".

Cheers

Steve
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice

Originally Posted by eurosyl
Just to add to that:

I am applying for a job from Oz. I however apply only on jobs that I deem interesting, so thusfar only expressed my interest for 3 job openings.

Lessons learnt:
- Most recruiters will not reply to the application
- You need to call before sending your CV, make yourself 'known' with recruiters, and check they have received the CV/cover letter after upload
- After a day or two, check suitability, ask for feedback even if you are deemed unsuitable for the job, adjust CV and such if needed.
- Personalize cover letters. Make sure they fit the job you are applying for, explain why you are interested in the job.
- From friends here I learnt that directly applying at companies is most successful, however larger businesses will always use a recruiter.

I kept following up with the recruiters, and although my initial applications did not result in anything positive, one of them called me with a similar job description. I said, that is exactly what I am looking for, and 2 days later I had my interview. Not sure yet if I have the job, but at least one hurdle was taken.

P.S. I did not meet the recruiter before the interview, I did stop by their office afterwards tho

Cheers,
Sylvia
Dear Sylvia,
How long did it take from the time u first sent ur application to getting this 2nd interview? I'm planning to validate in the next few months and relocate next winter.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

naufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to allnaufil is a name known to all
Post Re: How to find an I.T job ? online, on phone or walkin

hello to all of you..

i want to thank all of you , in participating and giving your views. i think being present in australia will make a difference then sending my resume from pakistan.

and yes may be i can start by calling few of the recruiters . does any body knows any potiential recruiters who are welcoming and are not bothered by novice immigrants like me.

thanks and best regards,

hope this thread will continue to grow to help and assist many others like me in relevant or any other profession.

naufil
Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

The best approach what I did is to find a suitable job, apply and back it up by calling the agency. They are generally friendly.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

hello to all of you..

i want to thank all of you , in participating and giving your views. i think being present in australia will make a difference then sending my resume from pakistan.

and yes may be i can start by calling few of the recruiters . does any body knows any potiential recruiters who are welcoming and are not bothered by novice immigrants like me.

thanks and best regards,

hope this thread will continue to grow to help and assist many others like me in relevant or any other profession.

naufil
Honestly - don't call them UNTIL a week MAXIMUM before you arrive or even less. Email them also. Otherwise I can guarantee you they will ignore you since your are not available - remember available means HERE.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 8:18 am
Just Joined

anto4be is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to all,

Could anyone say how much does it cost in an average for a single person to stay there for a month and search Job. I'm working in the skillset of Unix/Perl in an I.T company in India and awaiting for PR visa.

How about transportation? Will it be frequent and accessible to all places at affordable price for searching the job.

Your answer would be of great help to me in the future.

Regards
Anto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.