Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHV Accepted and now going to live the dream in Auz!!! But need a bit of help

WHV Accepted and now going to live the dream in Auz!!! But need a bit of help

Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

travelbugkimmie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHV Accepted and now going to live the dream in Auz!!! But need a bit of help

Ok so I am a little bit old really to be starting a whole new life in Auz but hey what the hell...... I am 31 and currently work in the travel industry and have done for 12 years all tolled. I have had my working visa accepted and will have to be in Australia by June 2014. Having been in the travel industry for so long I was hopeing to work in the same line of work when getting to Auz. I am not sure wether to apply before getting there or just wait until I get there. I am hopeing to head for the Sydney area and to be really honest I am not a backpacker and have enough money to start renting a place of my own or sharing with someone but definately dont want to do hostels really. Is there perhaps anyone else heading to Auz at a similar time or anyone there already that can give me some hints and tips on the next steps.

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHV Accepted and now going to live the dream in Auz!!! But need a bit of help

Originally Posted by travelbugkimmie
Ok so I am a little bit old really to be starting a whole new life in Auz but hey what the hell...... I am 31 and currently work in the travel industry and have done for 12 years all tolled. I have had my working visa accepted and will have to be in Australia by June 2014. Having been in the travel industry for so long I was hopeing to work in the same line of work when getting to Auz. I am not sure wether to apply before getting there or just wait until I get there. I am hopeing to head for the Sydney area and to be really honest I am not a backpacker and have enough money to start renting a place of my own or sharing with someone but definately dont want to do hostels really. Is there perhaps anyone else heading to Auz at a similar time or anyone there already that can give me some hints and tips on the next steps.

Thanks very much in advance.
Hi travelbugkimmie,

Not sure about the whole new life - your WHV will allow you to live and work in Australia for 12 months only, and for any 1 employer for a max 6 months. Because of your age you wont be able to get a second visa, so plan on having a good holiday and seeing some of Australia. As for jobs, it's probably not worth applying until you get here.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: WHV Accepted and now going to live the dream in Auz!!! But need a bit of help

Hi many thanks for your post and information.

So during my 12 months in Australia is there no way at all that I would not be able to stay longer. What about applying for residency or is there not enough time in the one year to do this.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHV Accepted and now going to live the dream in Auz!!! But need a bit of help

So during my 12 months in Australia is there no way at all that I would not be able to stay longer. What about applying for residency or is there not enough time in the one year to do this.
If you do 3 months fruit picking then you will probably get a year's extension but unless you have skills that Aus wants then you will be going home after your holiday. If you can apply for PR why are you not doing that now? Much more secure
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:04 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

To be able to apply for residency, you would need a job on the CSOL to start - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...n/pdf/csol.pdf - if your occupation is there, you would need to be able to score enough points for a visa application based on age, qualifications, experience, etc.

First thing though would be to check the list for your occupation
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by quoll
If you do 3 months fruit picking then you will probably get a year's extension but unless you have skills that Aus wants then you will be going home after your holiday. If you can apply for PR why are you not doing that now? Much more secure
I don't think that's possible here as OP is already 31
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You are not emigrating, you are going on a long holiday. There is no such thing as "applying for residency". In Australia you have to apply for visas, so you need to work out if you qualify for a visa, like the skilled migrant visa.

Based on what you have said about working in the travel industry, I suspect you are unlikely to qualify. If my suspicions are right, then your chances of staying could be down to whether you meet a nice Aussie whilst you are here, but you should definitely be assuming you will leave at the end of the year and if anything does pop up it is a bonus.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I don't think that's possible here as OP is already 31
True! I missed that! Very lucky to get a WHV at all then!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Great information from you bermuda shorts thanks.

However I just checked the list and Travel Agency Manager is on the list so thats great.

Otherwise like you say I will just go for a year and live and work how I can. I have never been to Auz so lots of places to see and I love travelling
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
True! I missed that! Very lucky to get a WHV at all then!
:goodpost

I knew they wouldnt accept you if you were over 31 thats why I applied before my 31st birthday.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Great information from you bermuda shorts thanks.

However I just checked the list and Travel Agency Manager is on the list so thats great.

Otherwise like you say I will just go for a year and live and work how I can. I have never been to Auz so lots of places to see and I love travelling
Well if you want to move permanently and it is on the list, why don't you apply for a permanent visa?

Are you actually a manager first of all? You would need to pass a skills assessment and a points test for skilled migration. I note that the occupation is only on the CSOL, which means you would require sponsorship, I have checked all the sponsorship lists but NSW as I could not get access and found that ACT is sponsoring this occupation code. It seems to me that if sponsorship is on offer you should grab it, because I expect this one will not come up on the sponsored lists very often.

If you don't want to go down this path, then you can come on your WHV and if you find an employer that likes you you might get sponsorship, I am just wondering if you really would get an offer as the manager whilst you are on a WHV? Who knows. In any case this would in all probability be a temporary visa binding you to the employer, so not as good an option as the one above.