Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Uk to aus military

Uk to aus military

Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:58 am
Just Joined

caresbears2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk to aus military

Hey I'm new to this but would really like to hear from people who have moved from uk to aus military. My husband left raf here in the uk but really misses it so he's considering joining the airforce or army done under. Has anyone else done this and if so what was your experience like? Etc.. To be honest I miss the military life just as much as him any advice or help would be great. We have always wanted a move down under. It's something we both want for us and our 2 daughters.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk to aus military

Transfering into the Oz military requires particular skill sets. There are a number of threads that have appeared on here if you do a search. It depends on what he did in the air force. If a pilot, then a fairly good chance. If just a regular joe, then little chance
Old Sep 7th 2013, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If he's already left the services I'm not sure whether he can join a foreign country's services - most of the folks doing lateral transfers seem to have continuity of service I thought (but happy to be wrong there). Even then it will depend on your husband's skill set and whether it is in demand or not. Could he not sign up for the RAF/Army again?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

You don't actually 'transfer' your job from UK to Australan Defence, its your skills that transfer. You actually have to sign off in one country before signing on in the other so the answer is yes, your hubby can look at possibly joining.

Have a look here to start to see if he has the skills and experience the ADF need x http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...ants/army.aspx

We came over by this route in 2009, as have many others. For us it has been worthwhile but like everything, everyone's experience is different x
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
You don't actually 'transfer' your job from UK to Australan Defence, its your skills that transfer. You actually have to sign off in one country before signing on in the other so the answer is yes, your hubby can look at possibly joining.

Have a look here to start to see if he has the skills and experience the ADF need x http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...ants/army.aspx

We came over by this route in 2009, as have many others. For us it has been worthwhile but like everything, everyone's experience is different x
That's good to know! Not that I can see my son wanting a lateral transfer!
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies he is within the timescale to rejoin and just waiting to hear back from the army and airforce. He would rejoin here but would have to stay here so many years before he could go to aus so seems logical to just join aus straight away. It's something we both want and with our girls the age they are it's a perfect time now to start the ball rolling. Is it much the same as uk forces like housing, deployment etc?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caresbears2010
Hey I'm new to this but would really like to hear from people who have moved from uk to aus military. My husband left raf here in the uk but really misses it so he's considering joining the airforce or army done under. Has anyone else done this and if so what was your experience like? Etc.. To be honest I miss the military life just as much as him any advice or help would be great. We have always wanted a move down under. It's something we both want for us and our 2 daughters.

Caresbears2010, I am currently going through the OLTS from the UK military to the ADF.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you and your husband have concerning my experiences of the process. There have been some changes to the process in the 9 months since I submitted my Expression of Interest.

Last edited by Gaz_F; Sep 7th 2013 at 10:12 am.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much gaz that would be a great help my husband is at work at the moment so when he gets in il mention it to him and find out what he wants to know. x
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:42 am
Just Joined

wiganlancs1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I came over as a Lateral Transfer over 5 years ago now if you need any help or advice with the process please ask also the fact that your husband has had a break of service is fine I did nt but many who are here have had a good friend of mine here was out of the British Army for over 2 years so don't worry also in regards to trades they are still recruiting most trades good luck