Default WHV

Can anyone advise on working holiday visa i.e

Money needed
travel insurance
jobs/money earned
accomadition
health insurance/dentist
travel/getting around

bearing in mind i want to leave in a couple of months cause ive had enough of england.

any advise or personnel experence would help

thanks for reading look forward to hearing from you
Old Mar 19th 2013, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHV

Money needed - AUD$5,000 minimum (but AUD$10,000 would be ideal)
travel insurance - Definitely, though basic treatments will be covered through the Medicare reciprocal programme
jobs/money earned - Lots of jobs around so bring your resume'. Be sure and do your 3 months rural work placement to ensure a further 12 month WHV entitlement.
accomadition - Lots of backpackers but not as cheap as in the UK. A house share or room rent would be a lot better and more secure.
health insurance/dentist - Have it included in your health insurance.
travel/getting around - Second hand cars are not as cheap here as in the UK and public transport is dependent on where you live. Cycle paths are very good though so get a bike to begin with - will save you a lot of money as well.

Gumtree.com.au is a good place to start looking for shared accommodation and casual work. Distances are great here so Google Map is your friend.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:23 am
Just Joined

mlloyd83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was only thinking about taking £2000 with me do you think that would be enough or is £5000 better
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

If you were able to secure a job quickly, you may be alright with just £2,000. The trouble is, the exchange rate is pretty lousy just now and you will only get about $3,500 for your £2,000, which is not going to go very far in Australia. If you have access to £5,000, you should bring it.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Do you know any good and cheap insurance company's cause I found one and it's just over £300 for the best cover. And also about banking do I take all my money out and open a bank account when I get there. And will I need a security number to do that and info would help move things forward
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:22 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

For best prices for gap-year insurance have a look at;

http://www.money.co.uk/travel-insura...-insurance.htm

You can either bring your money as cash and deposit it here when you open a bank account (easy to do with a passport as id and even a backpacker hostel address) - however, I wouldn't want to carry that amount of cash just in case I lost it! I would bring your bank atm card and just do one withdrawal here (only one fee) or use a transfer service like tranzfers.com or HiFx.

Once you arrive you will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) which you can do online - but only once you are in Australia.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
The trouble is, the exchange rate is pretty lousy just now and you will only get about $3,500 for your £2,000
Nope. $2900.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James516
Nope. $2900.
Even more dismal than I thought!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

First time I came over on my WHV I only had 500 quid...had to get a job straight away but survived easy enough. Not necessarily recommended but where there's a will there's a way....
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:09 am
Just Joined

How long have you been out there for and what job did you get and how long did you do it for. Cause I'm not fussed about what I do