Should we come?

Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

gedward is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Should we come?

My CP/Husband is an aus citizen. There is the possibility that his employer can offer him a position in Perth.
The wage seemed pretty good (approx $65k-$70k) Tho on reading the forum that is only about an average wage!
I would have to come out once our home in UK sold (probably for less than we paid for it, but with some equity)
I will have to apply for a visa at a cost of £1,800 + police check & medical. The visa can take up to 9 months tho I can come out on a tourist visa and the just leave Aus for the weekend to come back in & validate my visa.

I would come out tomorrow, if I could. The biggest drawback is that both sets of parents are not in the best of health and my dad has just finished chemotherapy. How would I feel on the other side of the world when I couldnt just drop everything and just help?

This has been ongoing since early December & we still don't know what is happening. I've been watching a lot of the BBC "wanted down under" TV show. We both spend most evenings browsing the net at homes for rent/sale. Australian lifestlye websites getting any info about moving over.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my first post.

Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we come?

We did a pros and cons list, then we rated everything on list according to how important a pro or con it was. Why not try something like this, because really only you can answer questions like how would you feel if you we're not able to help your family.

Financially, no this is not a good salary. It is average like you say, if you can happily live on a UK average salary (~£28k) then you an probably manage on this.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:36 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Should we come?

Originally Posted by gedward
My CP/Husband is an aus citizen. There is the possibility that his employer can offer him a position in Perth.
The wage seemed pretty good (approx $65k-$70k) Tho on reading the forum that is only about an average wage!
I would have to come out once our home in UK sold (probably for less than we paid for it, but with some equity)
I will have to apply for a visa at a cost of £1,800 + police check & medical. The visa can take up to 9 months tho I can come out on a tourist visa and the just leave Aus for the weekend to come back in & validate my visa.

I would come out tomorrow, if I could. The biggest drawback is that both sets of parents are not in the best of health and my dad has just finished chemotherapy. How would I feel on the other side of the world when I couldnt just drop everything and just help?

This has been ongoing since early December & we still don't know what is happening. I've been watching a lot of the BBC "wanted down under" TV show. We both spend most evenings browsing the net at homes for rent/sale. Australian lifestlye websites getting any info about moving over.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you for reading my first post.

$65000 buys about the same as 26000 pounds.

It's a very average wage. If you were earning the same as your husband you should be OK.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a better offer than you currently have? If it isnt then dont bother. I wouldn't be moving for that salary, it wouldn't be a life of luxury, more like a marking time at best.

As for sick elderly parents - if you have siblings who can shoulder the load then you are in better shape than if you are an only child. Whichever, you are going to have to be hard hearted to leave them (not pejorative, just survival strategy) because on that salary you are going to struggle to afford regular trips back.

It might be better not to sell your home if you are upside down with it at the moment and try not to burn too many bridges - take career breaks for example. If you are going on a tourist visa, be sure to have your partner visa application in before you leave because if you just rock up on a tourist visa you might get booted out before you arrive if they believe you aren't a bone fide tourist. Also remember that as a tourist you can't work for the duration.

Oh, and stop watching WDU - it's almost on a par with Home and Away!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

I've been watching a lot of the BBC "wanted down under" TV show.
Take these shows with a pinch of salt. You need to be more rational for such an upheaval particularly with family health issues.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

gedward is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies.

I've been looking on various sites incl "a piece of perth" and found on there the costs of some basic grocery items (appeared to be very expensive but then I have to stop just swapping the £sign for the $sign)

I would have to work. I have a lot of retail experience So I might try that route. Tho tbh I'd like straight shifts as I am tired of working different shifts and starting/finishing at different times.

Anyhow we have to wait to see what the hubbys work are saying & how much they will help to re-locate. Unfortunately as he is an Aus citizen there is no automatic relocation package.

Any helpful sites would help.

Thanks again G x
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies.

I've been looking on various sites incl "a piece of perth" and found on there the costs of some basic grocery items (appeared to be very expensive but then I have to stop just swapping the £sign for the $sign)

I would have to work. I have a lot of retail experience So I might try that route. Tho tbh I'd like straight shifts as I am tired of working different shifts and starting/finishing at different times.

Anyhow we have to wait to see what the hubbys work are saying & how much they will help to re-locate. Unfortunately as he is an Aus citizen there is no automatic relocation package.

Any helpful sites would help.

Thanks again G x
Assume your monthly spend in pounds will be doubled in dollars and start from there.

65k may be enough for a below average house in a below average area, but is that why you're moving around the world?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Take wanted down under with a whole bucket of salt, it's a terrible (but strangely addictive) programme.

As others have said, it's just an average salary. Mind you, me and OH used to earn about that each as basic, with bonuses on top - sometimes substantial, sometimes really not. We also had various sidelines over the years that brought in a little more cash, now I think about it. We lived in Melbourne but I can't say we ever felt hard done by although we never did a lot of clothes shopping in Aus, used to wait until we were back in the UK for that. We've managed to move back to the UK with a decent six figure sum, helped in part by the exchange rate.

Do be aware though that flights back to the UK are expensive - it looks like that would be a major consideration for you. We went for the adventure, in our early 20s, rather than for financial reasons but feel that Australia gave us a big financial boost. Times are different now and while I would normally tell anyone to give it a go, it might be very hard for you emotionally and if things aren't amazing financially you might start wondering why you left.