British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Who's going to Perth??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whos-going-perth-311915/)

Tiawamutu Jul 3rd 2005 10:34 pm

Who's going to Perth???

Just wondering out of everyone who has received/in the process of applying for their visas, how many of you are planning to go to Perth....and which suburb? and why? :)

JayJay 88 Jul 3rd 2005 10:57 pm

Re: Who's going to Perth???

Hi there

We're planning to go to Perth - I have to say mainly because hubby has cousins there so we will have a ready made social circle. We visited in January this year and enjoyed the city - just the right size for us as we're not big city people. I really liked the open spaces and the good set up in the suburbs, and of course the beautiful beaches all around. We're not sure about suburb but Rockingham/Mandurah keeps drawing us - the lifestyle is just what we are looking for, and hopefully the new train line will enable us to work in Perth CBD if necessary, although ideally would want to work either part time, or with less of a commute. I'm in HR and hubby has his own business importing/selling Jap sports cars, which hopefully he could still do in Oz.

Jayne :)

Tiawamutu Jul 3rd 2005 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by JayJay 88
Hi there

We're planning to go to Perth - I have to say mainly because hubby has cousins there so we will have a ready made social circle. We visited in January this year and enjoyed the city - just the right size for us as we're not big city people. I really liked the open spaces and the good set up in the suburbs, and of course the beautiful beaches all around. We're not sure about suburb but Rockingham/Mandurah keeps drawing us - the lifestyle is just what we are looking for, and hopefully the new train line will enable us to work in Perth CBD if necessary, although ideally would want to work either part time, or with less of a commute. I'm in HR and hubby has his own business importing/selling Jap sports cars, which hopefully he could still do in Oz.

Jayne :)

Sounds good....We would like to live nearish to the beach/coast. North of Perth, but not too far away 1/2 hour at the most. Is a great place you are right, we went there in April. Have got friends there already... :)

gobbyjock Jul 4th 2005 6:48 am

Hi there - we are hopefully heading to Perth in 07, not sure where we want to settle just yet (suppose it will all come down to where we can afford in the end). Trouble is I keep looking at the real estate sites and thinking ooh that looks nice (unbtil I see something else 5 minutes later). The other big factor will be where we can get work - I suppose it`s too early and with too many variables for us to pin it down at the mo :rolleyes:

Pauline Jul 4th 2005 7:14 am

We have our visas are going to Validate on the 14th August. Have not sold house yet so will be back. Mandurah sounds good to us has always drawn me in went on hoilday a few times and I know I would love to live there.
But when we come over will be staying with my Mum she is in Rockingham at the moment. Hubbie and kids have never been to oz before, but I used to live in Beckingham,Perth went to school in Cannington when I was a tenager. We are really looking forward to going even though I know we will not want to come back. It has took forever to get this far. Now house is taking forever been on since Oct. Have dropped 50k do not want to drop anymore, so will make another decision when we get back from Oz. Back on the 1st Sept.

bridiej Jul 4th 2005 8:00 am

We're not going to "Perth" as such, Western Australia definitely although like the look of Bunbury but will depend on where Malc gets work.

Like the look of Mandurah also... :)

boom_meringue Jul 4th 2005 8:41 am

we will be in Perth from the 22nd August. We are starting in Rockingham but our end destination will depend on getting a job

bridiej Jul 4th 2005 8:53 am

You may have all seen it but I've got a forum specifically for WA if you're interested: www.expatsinwa.tk

:)

Garland Jul 4th 2005 9:14 am

Hi We are heading to Perth September(unless the nerves completely get the better of us!!) Ideally we'd like to live Floreat/Wembley Downs area but house prices are continually rising it seems in that area. Its a case really of once there looking and being in a position to make an offer.
Would really like to hear what Coolbinia is like? as I haven't been able to find any info. on it?

worzel Jul 4th 2005 9:21 am

We should be in Perth by early October. We ended up with Perth by a process of elimination really as other places were too expensive, too muggy or too weird (you know where I mean!).

We will probably end up in the Nothern Suburbs somewhere but as Perth is the one place we didn't visit two years ago that is only because that seems the norm.

chilliman Jul 4th 2005 9:29 am

Always planned on Perth as my folks live out there, no idea of which suburb as yet. May have a look at Melborne when I get out there - it seems there are alot more jobs in my area there!?

michellemac Jul 4th 2005 9:44 am

Hi there,

we are going to Perth too; I am a Perth Girl originally so know the areas quite well - we are looking to live as close to Freo as possible - probably going to end up in Beaconsfield/Palmyra although ideally I'd like somewhere like East Fremantle.

We're going to live there because my hubby is British and we feel that going into the depths of suburbia is too much of a culture shock for us (him especially) moving from Bristol. We both love Fremantle, the access to pubs/cafes/restaurants and the beach too is what does it for us. My parents live south of Mandurah, so access to Stock Road/ Rockingham road/Freeway is important to us and it knocks out the Northern suburbs (although once you live in Perth you'll realise that having lived in the Southern Suburbs as a child I would find it nigh on impossible to go North of the River.... ;) )

I work in advertising (part time at the moment as I am pregnant and have a 16 month old!) and my hubby works in IT sales so we will probably need good access to the city (although we are planning for me to be a full-time stay at home mum for a few years when we get there) for work - so we might also look at the suburbs along Canning Highway as well.

Michelle

Oakie Jul 4th 2005 10:08 am

Yep, me too - my girlfriend's sister is based in Duncraig, so we'll go reasonably close to there to start, but I fancy some of the areas closer to the city (soooooooo-bi!!) but definitely north of the river.

Its funny, I always planned to go to NZ from my teens onwards and never really fancied Auz, but ended up going to a wedding there last year. I went very open minded about the place and had no preconceptions about living there. It took about a week for me to say, er, yes this'll do.

We hope to be there in October, just the for the start of the Freo doctor season. Party on...

sel Jul 4th 2005 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Just wondering out of everyone who has received/in the process of applying for their visas, how many of you are planning to go to Perth....and which suburb? and why? :)

We are also heading to Perth (hopefully). Not dead set on anywhere yet but like the look of the hills area's ... or anywhere not too far from Perth CBD for other halfs job.

timk Jul 4th 2005 10:48 am

Heading to the Northern suburbs of Perth, I have a sister there who emigrated 15 years ago.

Hope to be out there for late September, this all dependant on house sale completing, this is the single most frustrating and anxious part of the whole move. Selling the house, makes the visa process look easy.

I think Perth has the right balance of size, facilities and ambience that will suit our needs. I am tired of the rat race and look forward to a more layed back life.

Tim

Three Legs Jul 4th 2005 11:02 am

Three Legs and family are going...

Later this year subject to house sale.

It's Iluka for us "at the moment"...

;)

ohippy Jul 4th 2005 11:05 am

We want to go to WA - SOR. Looking at between Rockingham and Mandurah - will depend on schools and house prices when we get there (better be sometime next year or someone is going to die !!) :D

task Jul 4th 2005 2:21 pm

hI looking to go in 2006 just passed the skills assessment with anmc currently working through 47SK mine field never mind we,ll get there as previous threads schools and house prices will dictate our final location good luck and have a nice day TASK.. :)

Australia Bound Jul 4th 2005 2:42 pm

We hope to go to Perth November 06. Looking at Rockingham, but all depends on jobs. May even end up moving another area of Oz depending on the job situation. Wife is Psych nurse and i work in IT support.

ub40fan Jul 4th 2005 3:02 pm

Hi

We are hoping to move to Perth in about a years time, me, hubby, 2 boys (15 and 12) and one girl (9). Got to wait till then as oldest boy has GCSE's next year and we think it's better for him to do his exams here.

Sister in Law lives in Hillarys so we would like to be round there somewhere, depending on how much we can afford at the time, and work.

We have been twice and it only took me 2 days to say I want to live here, it took hubby till the second trip but that really did it. He wants a boat! :)

Tiawamutu Jul 4th 2005 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by ohippy
We want to go to WA - SOR. Looking at between Rockingham and Mandurah - will depend on schools and house prices when we get there (better be sometime next year or someone is going to die !!) :D

I might be being a bit thick here but what is SOR please? :confused:

michellemac Jul 4th 2005 6:12 pm

I might be being a bit thick here but what is SOR please? :confused:

SOR = South of River

NOR = North of River

It may as well be the Berlin Wall - people tend to live in one or the other and rarely change from North to south or vice versa ever, so make your decision carefully LOL!

And then the two other "main names" are the "Western Suburbs" which are between river and ocean

"The Hills" is pretty self explanatory.

Perthforme Jul 4th 2005 6:21 pm

No suprises where we want to go :p
Hope for early 06 move
1st Quinns rocks area
But may end up in hills or mandurah way will make mind up when there :D

Anne4Terry Jul 4th 2005 6:22 pm

We put our application in beginning of June and are hoping to go out to Rockingham/Mandurah direction by the beginning of the new school year feb 06 although we will go as soon as we get visa and sell the house :D

I have a sister in Kwinana who's youngest boy is the same age as mine, same school year as well although they would have been different school year in UK.

Hubby is a plumber so he should be ok for work with all the new building going on.

Can't wait to see you all out there :D :D

The Vallies Jul 4th 2005 7:26 pm

Hi, we are planning Perth area too! :)

Not sure on area, although hubby lived NOR as a child, and thats where we stayed in Nov last year for our rekkie, we loved it.

Especially, Hillarys, Sorrento, Mindarie, Ocean Reef, although we have heard great things about Secret Harbour and Mandurah too! Due to come out end Nov/beg Dec on business visa - all being well :D

Looking at websites, you seem to get more for your money SOR, than NOr, anyone any comments on that?

:)

caroledouglas Jul 4th 2005 7:40 pm

We are heading out to Perth in 6 weeks time. 16 August at 2pm. We fancy the Rockingham area as we have family in nearby Kwinana. Cant wait to get there.
Carole

ohippy Jul 4th 2005 7:41 pm

Looks like loads of us are heading to Rockingham/Mandurah way - even more work for my brickie hubby - bring it on !!!! :D :D :D

peppi Jul 4th 2005 7:44 pm

Me Me Me...! Im going....21st September...Cant wait...!...

sme Jul 4th 2005 9:19 pm

Us too - NOR for us . Poss. Edgewater or Joondalup.
Going for a reccie and validation in Sept. Then of we go as soon as we sell our house :D
See you all soon :) ;)
Gillian + 4 entering behind me :)

claire33 Jul 4th 2005 10:04 pm

We are off to Perth March 06 (house sale pending), we are going on a student visa, I will be going to uni in Freo but fancy living near to my brother who is in Secret Harbour.

Claire

squeezzii Jul 4th 2005 10:24 pm

We are going-on sunday 17th july! :scared: -at times never thought we'd get this far but suddenly it all happens at once, we will be based in Bicton initally, I love Freo and would love to be near-ish there :)

Tiawamutu Jul 4th 2005 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by squeezzii
We are going-on sunday 17th july! :scared: -at times never thought we'd get this far but suddenly it all happens at once, we will be based in Bicton initally, I love Freo and would love to be near-ish there :)

Good luck!

Just under 2 weeks to go :eek:

squeezzii Jul 4th 2005 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by squeezzii

Sorry, forgot to say why. Freemantle was fab, so much going on,very friendly and we have family in Bicton,its an older more established burb with a nice feel to it

squeezzii Jul 4th 2005 10:34 pm

Good luck!

Just under 2 weeks to go :eek:

Yeah- absolutely terrified at the moment everything is in chaos, the removals are coming to pack whats left on weds then come back on thursday morning to load it all up and take everything we call home away! :( The house sale completes on friday morning (I hope!) and we leave as soon as get the call from solicitor. then we split up between my/his mums till 17th.the pressure is really starting to show! but I guess it'll all be worth it but at the moment stress factor 10.....

hutchy Jul 5th 2005 1:31 pm

Hi to everyone heading out here to Perth........Tiawamatu, you are from sunderland, i think i spoke to you briefly before as thats where i am from.........I have been in oz almost 2 yrs but live in rockingham which is where most of you seem to be heading........All i can say is it is a great place to live........Not far from the city 30 mins roughly although i dont go up there much but once the train line goes in it will be fantastic to just hop on the train up there.........We have a local shopping centre 2 mins by car then all the way along to Mandurah there is shopping centres and plenty of warehouse type stores which sell everything.......I am near Rocky beach which is gorgeous,and we have a pod of dolphins which u can pretty much see most days...........The foreshore itself is full of nice restaurants/coffee shops/icecream shops.....At the moment there is lots of construction work goin on down the foreshore,new apartment blocks /hotels etc which will see the house prices soar in the surrounding ares.........It will bring a lot more visitors to rocky and obviously all the business owners will benefit............I have found the local people to be very friendly and helpful ,,,,,,,,our neighbours are smashing and from the minute we arrived they made us welcome..........we often sit outside in the summer and gather for a few beers while the kids all play.........Best part of the street are expats and Rockingham is full of poms.....At the moment being winter the foreshore is a bit quiet but the summer is great, and there is always stuff goin on down there,for the kids and grown ups........plenty of parks,,,,,,bbq areas which are free...we have lots of bands playing there in the summer which are free.........New years eve is a must there......last yr was live music all nite till 12 with a fantastic firework display.there was around 20.000 people there,,,,,lots of food stalls fairground rides.etc.........My kids go to rocky high and have settled in well...........made lots of friends here,,,,,,,and dont want to live back in UK.......they are 15 and nearly 13......so 2 yrs ago was a hard time for them leaving but they have adapted to their new life great........I have some pics of the dolphins and the beach and house if anyone wants to see them pm me and i will send them onto you.......For any of you who would like to meet up once you get here i will gladly have you round to mine for a bbq once the summer is back or if you just want to meet for a chat.......You can
never have enough friends and since we are alreday here we may be able to help out with any questions you guys may have..........I must apologize to the folks already here as i have not got involved with any of you since my arrival and it all sounds like great fun, especially the perth ladies......1st reason, hubby takes the car to work and if i do have it im not confident goin to far from rocky, the other main reason is i was crook not long after i got here but recovering slowly........so hoping if anyone around the rocky area plans anything local i would like to join in and meet lots of people.........I dont work so have plenty of time to mingle and would happily have a coffee morn etc to meet the ones that are here already........well good luck to all those comin out you will love it........Speak soon hopefully........jan hutchinson.xxxxxxxx

nomayaja Jul 5th 2005 2:09 pm

We're heading for Perth too (hopefully). Our application was sent in in March so are now waiting for our visas. My inlaws live in Rockingham and sister in law lives in Kwinana although she's moving closer to the city because she says the schools are better there? I love Rockingham but just had the impression the high schools aren't that great there? Any info welcome! My kids are only 2 and 5 and we would like to settle somewhere where there are good schools. It seems alot of you live in Rockingham. What do you think of the schools there?

Good luck to any of you heading out soon. You'll love it :)

Marina

Scossie Jul 5th 2005 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by hutchy
Best part of the street are expats and Rockingham is full of poms.....

Each to their own I suppose Hutchy, but I'd hate to live in a suburb where most of my neighbours were from the UK.
We're the only non Aussies for streets around us. I can't think of anyone I know who lives near us who aren't about 5th or 6th generation Aussies.

That's exactly what we want though, & we get on really well with all our neighbours. (constant parties in the summer....:))......
It'd really piss me off if we moved away from Kensington & then discovered we weren't still in a 95% Aussie neighbourhood....

As I said though, each to their own....:)

hutchy Jul 5th 2005 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Scossie
Each to their own I suppose Hutchy, but I'd hate to live in a suburb where most of my neighbours were from the UK.
We're the only non Aussies for streets around us. I can't think of anyone I know who lives near us who aren't about 5th or 6th generation Aussies.

That's exactly what we want though, & we get on really well with all our neighbours. (constant parties in the summer....:))......
It'd really piss me off if we moved away from Kensington & then discovered we weren't still in a 95% Aussie neighbourhood....

As I said though, each to their own....:)

Yes scossie i get where ya comin from, we also have lots of aussie friends also but it just makes u feel a bit more at home knowing all the poms we have met have done the emmigration thing and so we have lots in common....before i moved to rocky i didnt know anything about it really, was through hubbys job..it just so happens that it is heavily populated with poms but i enjoy that along with meeting australian people..........it depends what people want like you said.........i think we have the best of both worlds.....jan hutchinson......xxxxxxxxxxx

Vegemite Kids Jul 5th 2005 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
We should be in Perth by early October. We ended up with Perth by a process of elimination really as other places were too expensive, too muggy or too weird (you know where I mean!).

We will probably end up in the Nothern Suburbs somewhere but as Perth is the one place we didn't visit two years ago that is only because that seems the norm.

Diont get too fixated on Northern suburbs !

We started off ion W.Perth moved to Kensington (South Perth) and have now bought in the Hills area.

PS. most jobs are either in CBD or South of the River (esp engineering type jobs)

South Of River (SOR), consider Applecross (v.expensive), Attadale, Kensington, Mt pleasant or if not so flush with UK house dollars, Bibra Lake.

hutchy Jul 5th 2005 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by nomayaja
We're heading for Perth too (hopefully). Our application was sent in in March so are now waiting for our visas. My inlaws live in Rockingham and sister in law lives in Kwinana although she's moving closer to the city because she says the schools are better there? I love Rockingham but just had the impression the high schools aren't that great there? Any info welcome! My kids are only 2 and 5 and we would like to settle somewhere where there are good schools. It seems alot of you live in Rockingham. What do you think of the schools there?

Good luck to any of you heading out soon. You'll love it :)

Marina

Hi Marina.........for me personally the school my kids go too didnt have a great reputation but we choose it because it was local.they walk and it is 2 mins away........I think a lot depends on the child and how much they enjoy school......if they like to learn they will do well anywhere they go..........so far our kids are doin great........Daughter loves school and is in top grades right across the board.........son not so keen on school but he is doin ok...better than he was in uk...sending him to another would not make a difference ...........The school they both went to in uk had a terrible reputation for drugs but daughter had fantastic results for the yr she spent there.........I have heard the star of the sea,catholic school has a very good reputation, it is in rocky but not sure about any others further afield............The only thing is too ask around and speak with the schools personally to find out what their policies are............good luck...jan hutchinson