British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Who's going to Perth??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/whos-going-perth-311915/)

lynnbrooks Oct 18th 2005 9:05 am

Re: Who's going to Perth???

I'm coming for a reccie 2nd nov to perth,staying in the northern burbs,any meetups at Hillary's or anywhere else?
Lynn

The Johnstons Oct 18th 2005 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
I'm coming for a reccie 2nd nov to perth,staying in the northern burbs,any meetups at Hillary's or anywhere else?
Lynn

How long are you staying for? We'll be out for a week at the end of Nov.

lynnbrooks Oct 19th 2005 9:26 am

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
How long are you staying for? We'll be out for a week at the end of Nov.

I'll be there from 2nd-20th nov so i'll miss you unfortunatly,where are you staying?
Lynn

The Johnstons Oct 20th 2005 12:49 am

I'll be there from 2nd-20th nov so i'll miss you unfortunatly,where are you staying?
Lynn

No idea yet :D . Hubby's work sorting all that so it's out of my hands :eek: . Have a great trip though, hope to hear about it when you get back :) .

Tiawamutu Oct 23rd 2005 10:00 am

Lynn

Enjoy your reccie Lynn :)

Can't wait to hear more about the northern burbs :)

tracey.d Oct 23rd 2005 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Enjoy your reccie Lynn :)

Can't wait to hear more about the northern burbs :)

Just checking you're not drumming up more support :p :D

Tiawamutu Oct 23rd 2005 10:05 am

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Just checking you're not drumming up more support :p :D

Cheeky :D :p

Tiawamutu Jan 4th 2006 11:13 am

There seems to have been a lot more people lately saying thay are off to Perth, so where are you all going?

Kheldar Jan 4th 2006 10:24 pm

We're coming out to Oz at the end of Jan for about 9 weeks :D

starting Perth with 2 lots of relatives / friends then moving across to Sydney.

cant wait :D

Tiawamutu Jan 5th 2006 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Kheldar
We're coming out to Oz at the end of Jan for about 9 weeks :D

starting Perth with 2 lots of relatives / friends then moving across to Sydney.

cant wait :D

Is that where you eventually want to live?

warbs4 Jan 5th 2006 5:24 am

We're off to Perth next Sat, staying in Connolly for a couple of weeks 'til we find a rental. Still undecided where we want to finish up, but there was an interesting thread a while ago giving the % of poms/suburb.....all adds to the debate. It's always nice to bump into fellow poms, but not sure if I want to live in a street where 1 in 4 is an expat :)

Perthforme Jan 5th 2006 5:30 am

We go this week end , i will bump the thread on the aus day meet :D

Tiawamutu Jan 5th 2006 7:08 am

Originally Posted by warbs4
We're off to Perth next Sat, staying in Connolly for a couple of weeks 'til we find a rental. Still undecided where we want to finish up, but there was an interesting thread a while ago giving the % of poms/suburb.....all adds to the debate. It's always nice to bump into fellow poms, but not sure if I want to live in a street where 1 in 4 is an expat :)

do you know the link for that thread?

Tiawamutu Jan 5th 2006 7:14 am

Think I found it, was this the one, warbs4 ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...th+poms+suburb

warbs4 Jan 5th 2006 7:22 am

Think I found it, was this the one, warbs4 ?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...th+poms+suburb

Yeah think so, although I actually thought someone had come up with some hard stats. My head's in a spin at the moment with the move, I'm lucky to remember anything.. :confused:

Kheldar Jan 5th 2006 10:20 pm

Is that where you eventually want to live?

Yes thats the plan to live in / around Perth.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Jan 5th 2006 10:34 pm

We're heading for Rockingham at the beginning of July 06!
Anyone else going around this time?

Anne4Terry Jan 5th 2006 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Hope to be there before then. Looks like we will end up the same kind of distance apart again as we are heading Rockingham/Mandurah direction.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Jan 5th 2006 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Hope to be there before then. Looks like we will end up the same kind of distance apart again as we are heading Rockingham/Mandurah direction.

Thats great Anne!

We are actually looking at anywhere in between Rockingham and Mandurah. Quite like the look of Port Kennedy/ Warnbro/ Secret Harbour and Golden Bay areas...............

What has prompted you to head for there?

nomayaja Jan 5th 2006 10:59 pm

We're going to Rockingham around the same time or hopefully a bit sooner (fingers crossed that we get our visas!). My inlaws live in Rockingham and we'll be staying with them till we get sorted :eek: During that time we want to explore other suburbs closer to Perth to see where we want to buy a house. My sister inlaw is moving to Applecross but thats way over our budget.

Good luck!
Marina

Kheldar Jan 6th 2006 12:03 am

we're hoping to have a damn good look around all perth suburbrs - north and south etc to see where we might fancy living.

sounds like Applecross is an expensive area then !

Steve

ohippy Jan 6th 2006 6:26 am

We hope to be going July time - maybe we'll be on the same flight !

nicanjoe Jan 6th 2006 9:43 am

We are planning to go at the end of June/beginning of July as well. We are looking at Rockinham or thereabouts, we have family in Willetton, but I think that will be a little too close to the city for us. The plan is to be settled for the school third term, July 25 I think it begins.

Nicanjoe

Pauline Jan 6th 2006 11:55 am

Sorry not been on for a while we arrived in Perth on the 2nd Jan. Have bought a car, and are looking around at house have decieded we want a new one or a house and package one. Do not know where we want to live to many nice places to choose from. We are staying with my parents in Singleton, they are building in Lakelands. But we have looked Port Kennedy, Madora bay, golden Bay etc. So i chose is endless.. Do not know what school for kids so will find the house 1st. Have fun everyone.. we are..
xxx

ohippy Jan 7th 2006 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Pauline
Sorry not been on for a while we arrived in Perth on the 2nd Jan. Have bought a car, and are looking around at house have decieded we want a new one or a house and package one. Do not know where we want to live to many nice places to choose from. We are staying with my parents in Singleton, they are building in Lakelands. But we have looked Port Kennedy, Madora bay, golden Bay etc. So i chose is endless.. Do not know what school for kids so will find the house 1st. Have fun everyone.. we are..
xxx

Let us know how you get on - the areas you stated are the ones we're looking at so will be interested in how you find the schools as that's a priority for us too.

Heather

Amazulu Jan 7th 2006 2:38 am

Man, it was hot in Perth today! I like the heat & thought I would have no trouble acclimatising (grew up in Africa) but I think it's going to be a while till I get used to it. Looks like it's going to be cooler tomorrow though.

Bella Donna Jan 7th 2006 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Man, it was hot in Perth today! I like the heat & thought I would have no trouble acclimatising (grew up in Africa) but I think it's going to be a while till I get used to it. Looks like it's going to be cooler tomorrow though.

It was a belter today but I think yesterday was even hotter. I was also surprised at how humid it was too. Around 38°C here in Port Kennedy, only 35°C today. And much cooler since the rain and thunder this evening.....:D ....ah, bliss.....:)

Sue

ohippy Jan 7th 2006 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
It was a belter today but I think yesterday was even hotter. I was also surprised at how humid it was too. Around 38°C here in Port Kennedy, only 35°C today. And much cooler since the rain and thunder this evening.....:D ....ah, bliss.....:)

Sue

Ohhhhh I wish I was there - we're due snow again tonight and tomorrow - my electricity/gas bill is now nearly as high as my mortgage !!!

nick72 Jan 8th 2006 10:19 pm

We are another new lot on the way (hopefully) to Perth.

Not sure where to go Manudurah or Rockingham or Safety Bay..

Anyone living in those places for advice please ???

We have a 7 and a 9 year old !!

Thanks

Nick

Stephen Jan 8th 2006 11:07 pm

I was reading the other day that Perth is heading for MAJOR water shortages in the next decade. Anyone else hear about this? Is it a big issue on the ground?

ohippy Jan 9th 2006 12:40 am

Originally Posted by nick72

Thanks

Nick

Spooky - those are the areas we're looking at AND we have a 7 and 9 year old !

Amazulu Jan 9th 2006 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Stephen
I was reading the other day that Perth is heading for MAJOR water shortages in the next decade. Anyone else hear about this? Is it a big issue on the ground?

I think water will be a big issue in the near future, but the government is building a desalination plant. I think they are looking at recycling waste water too like they do on the east coast & in the UK. whether this will be enough is yet to be seen.

Chef69 Jan 9th 2006 1:46 am

Hi Everybody,
Our time has finally come. We leave Ireland for Perth next week. Hope to meet some of you.

nicanjoe Jan 9th 2006 2:47 am

Originally Posted by ohippy
Spooky - those are the areas we're looking at AND we have a 7 and 9 year old !

Hey, can we join your club, we have a 10 year old (just turned) 7 year old, and we have an extra (5 year old). We are also looking in those areas as well as settlers.....creek (I think) in Baldivis. Houses look pretty good, 300 to 375K will get you something nice I believe. Anyone checked out the schools yet?

Nicanjoe

don544 Jan 9th 2006 3:56 am

hi
we also have a 7 yr old, and a 11 yr old (girls), we hope to be over in may, and are looking at rockingham/canning vale area.
dom

squeezzii Jan 9th 2006 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by nick72

Thanks

Nick

hi there nick I am in port kennedy which is in the middle of all those areas I hve a 10yr old daughter and my son will be 9 in march.If Ican help you or anyone with any questions feel free..... :)

nicanjoe Jan 9th 2006 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by squeezzii
hi there nick I am in port kennedy which is in the middle of all those areas I hve a 10yr old daughter and my son will be 9 in march.If Ican help you or anyone with any questions feel free..... :)

Hi there, I'm not Nick, but I have some questions. I've been looking for dance studios for my 10 year old daughter, jazz, tap, Irish that sort of thing. I've looked under everything I can think of on the net, around the Rockingham or Baldivis areas I can find nothing..... well I did find poledancing lessons which I'm sure my husband would love for ME to join, but that's another thread teehee. Since she is so upset about moving and she dances competitively here, I would love to have a place to tell her about. Also, how are the housing prices in Rockingham, safety bay, Port Kennedy? Are there alot of newer homes? Do they build any two story homes? Are the beaches safe for little ones? Sorry so many questions, any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Nicanjoe

cedar cottage Jan 9th 2006 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by nicanjoe
Hi there, I'm not Nick, but I have some questions. I've been looking for dance studios for my 10 year old daughter, jazz, tap, Irish that sort of thing. I've looked under everything I can think of on the net, around the Rockingham or Baldivis areas I can find nothing..... well I did find poledancing lessons which I'm sure my husband would love for ME to join, but that's another thread teehee. Since she is so upset about moving and she dances competitively here, I would love to have a place to tell her about. Also, how are the housing prices in Rockingham, safety bay, Port Kennedy? Are there alot of newer homes? Do they build any two story homes? Are the beaches safe for little ones? Sorry so many questions, any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Nicanjoe

Hi, house prices in all the areas you have mentioned are going thru the roof. The train is coming and they have gone up at least 10%. There are thousands of new houses being built in the anchorage just behind us and this is probably the only place in Aus where the building industry is not in a slump (Perth) In Rockingham/Port Kennedy there are that many new homes, and some are being sold upon completion, so none of the hassles of building. There is dance studio's in the area, but I dont know where, but I will try to find one.Only the Star Ballroom comes to mind, but I dont know what else they may do. If you are going to look at moving to this area, have a look at our web page and you can go to a ling called Annabella's, she has all info on most things in Rocky, while you are on our site have a look at our furnished accommodation,if we can help, let us know.http://members.westnet.com.au/cedarcottage/ Suzette and Will.

Bella Donna Jan 10th 2006 2:54 am

Originally Posted by nicanjoe

Nicanjoe

Hi,

I had some fun recently trying to find dance schools. Dh and I did medal ballroom and latin american dancing in the UK and wanted to find a new teacher here in WA. Took me ages to track down the dance schools. I had a bunch of links but can't find them right now - but do have a look at http://www.dtol.ndirect.co.uk/oz/westaus.htm - you may have some success here. I found several ballroom/latin teachers after a couple of nights of googling and following links all round WA and I came across several teaching tap/jazz. Try also DanceSport if you can google their site - lots of excellent links. I think I started by googling Ballroom dancing, Perth.

We were up in Fremantle last week, and I noticed a studio over in North Fremantle. Was interested for us initially, but then noticed it was jazz/tap/ballet. :o Don't remember the name but can get dh to check it out for you...?

We're in Port Kennedy, btw. I think we'll be taking our lessons at the studio in the Star Ballroom in Rockingham. If I ever get round to ringing the principal!!

HTH.

Sue

nicanjoe Jan 10th 2006 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Hi,

I had some fun recently trying to find dance schools. Dh and I did medal ballroom and latin american dancing in the UK and wanted to find a new teacher here in WA. Took me ages to track down the dance schools. I had a bunch of links but can't find them right now - but do have a look at http://www.dtol.ndirect.co.uk/oz/westaus.htm - you may have some success here. I found several ballroom/latin teachers after a couple of nights of googling and following links all round WA and I came across several teaching tap/jazz. Try also DanceSport if you can google their site - lots of excellent links. I think I started by googling Ballroom dancing, Perth.

We were up in Fremantle last week, and I noticed a studio over in North Fremantle. Was interested for us initially, but then noticed it was jazz/tap/ballet. :o Don't remember the name but can get dh to check it out for you...?

We're in Port Kennedy, btw. I think we'll be taking our lessons at the studio in the Star Ballroom in Rockingham. If I ever get round to ringing the principal!!

HTH.

Sue

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I checked the website and there might be a studio for her. If you have a chance to find the name of the studio in Fremantle, that would be great as well. I'm surprised at how difficult this is, in my area, there's a dance studio on almost every corner. This has really helped, thanks again!

Nicanjoe