Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who follows Rugby League?

Who follows Rugby League?

Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Have you been to any Melbourne Storm games yet, Badgersmount?
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:37 am
Badge

no (hangs head in shame.) I've attended trg.

One fixture I had planned to go to - with the boys from my club - coincided with me starting a new job. Now my Missus is here I plan to go.

She's got in to the old rah rah - she likes Jase Robinson, and I reckon she will like it.

BM

Old Apr 29th 2004, 5:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who follows Rugby League?

Originally posted by jib
Fair enough. The trick, as you say, is to avoid watching the news to hear the results.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by badgersmount
no (hangs head in shame.) I've attended trg.

One fixture I had planned to go to - with the boys from my club - coincided with me starting a new job. Now my Missus is here I plan to go.

She's got in to the old rah rah - she likes Jase Robinson, and I reckon she will like it.

BM
You should definately come along to a game at Olympic Park, badgersmount.

The attendances aren't massive, and the running track between the stands and the pitch doesn't help, but the crowd still manages to create a decent atmosphere.

If you get a membership, even just a three game membership, this entitles you to entry into the Storm social club (in the Vodafone Arena) before and after the game. The players come into the social club after each game, so you get a chance to have a chat with them. The club can be quite quiet before the game (which I still don't really understand), but gets very busy afterwards.

The Storm tend to play either Saturday night, or Sunday afternoon, and they are going pretty well at the moment, with back to back wins in recent weeks. They are away in NZ to play the Warriors this weekend, but they are back at Olympic Park next Saturday to face the Sharks. Should be a good one with Stuart Raper's Sharks struggling a bit at the moment.

Why not bring your missus along to a game. You can explain to her that it was Rugby League that made Jason Robinson into the player that he is - or does she just like looking at his legs?

Anyway, joking aside, it always helps to get new people along to the games, so it would be great if you could make it to some games. If you need any more info feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:09 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I take a passing interest in RL.

Follow the Giants in England as I went to Uni in Huddersfield.
Saw them at the weekend taking a real tonking at the hands of the Saints.

Over in Oz I follow the Brisbane Broncos as thats where the other halfs family are from. But strangely alot of them dont follow the Broncs her mother follows anyone but the Broncs and the other half the West Tigers. Alsop try to get to a state of origin match as I have heard they are something special.

TT

Originally posted by Lathlain
As a passionate RL supporter in the UK, and about to live in Perth (AFL land) Id just like to chat with any other League fans in here and find out which teams they follow and general discussion.

Im a thick skinned pommie who likes Salford Reds in the UK Rugby Super League, sadly its been 8 defeats in a row lately and I need cheering up! hehe
Some sympathy would be welcome lol
Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:39 pm
Badge

Originally posted by WhiteRose

If you get a membership, even just a three game membership, this entitles you to entry into the Storm social club (in the Vodafone Arena) before and after the game. The players come into the social club after each game, so you get a chance to have a chat with them. The club can be quite quiet before the game (which I still don't really understand), but gets very busy afterwards.

Why not bring your missus along to a game. You can explain to her that it was Rugby League that made Jason Robinson into the player that he is - or does she just like looking at his legs?
I know friends of one of the players. As for MrsB, one of the things that got us together was her looking at my legs!!!!

defo PM you soon. Might try to get there next Sat.

BM

Old Apr 29th 2004, 6:19 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by brisnick
i'm anything but a fan of RL (the worst football code in oz imho), but i recently went to a broncos game (played the melbourne storm i think) and i have to say i was very surprised with the lack of people there. nobody really in the pubs before the game, nobody milling around the streets outside, even just before kick-off, and i'd be surprised if the stadium was more than a third full. actually just checked, and there was just less than 20000
So whats the best football code in Aus then? Go on say AF bloody L? A load of boring overrated tosh IMO!
If you have nothing good to say about League then why post on this thread?
Please dont compare RL to AFL or union!

Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Warrington to Wollongong to Victoria Point (soon)
Thomaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I took my family to see Dragons V Panthers at the WIN stadium (Wollongong - 80Km south of Sydney) a couple of weeks ago.

Ground was full with just over 19,000 and there was a great atmosphere.

Really enjoyed it and that's coming from a big English Football fan (Tranmere Rovers) and I had never been to a RL game before.

I am now well and truley converted... and at $50 for the whole family (4 of us), you can't beat it for value.

Going to have to go see Warrington Wolves now on my next trip home. Wonder if it will be the same?
Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, Union is great, RL & AFL are crap.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

So whats the best football code in Aus then? Go on say AF bloody L? A load of boring overrated tosh IMO!
If you have nothing good to say about League then why post on this thread?
Well said Lathlain.

I'm sick of people hijacking threads with posts that have no relevance to the original post. You asked about RL, not AFL or kick and clap.

How are you getting on with your application?
Old May 3rd 2004, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Lathlain,

I just wondered whether you'd been to the Hull v Salford game at the KC Stadium on Sunday?

What was the score again?
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I'll give you the run down as I see it:

NRL in NSW and QLD is covered as follows

Friday - 8.30pm Friday Night Football - whole game 1 hr delay. This is a traditional timeslot

Sunday - 4.00pm Whole game from this afternoons schedule. Again on 1 hour delay. QLD generally show a Broncos game in this slot.

Thursday - 9.30pm Footy Show. 90 minutes of footie based stuff that either entertains or annoys (think RL crossed with a poor mans Tiswas)

Now AFL has a Friday night footy and a footis show. In NSW the AFL version and game come on after the RL. In Vic (and I presume WA) this is reversed - hope thats not too confusing.

All the above on C9. C10 and C7 and ABC have nothing.

Foxtel show 3 games live or delayed back to back every Saturday from 17:30 NSW time. Prior to this they show the complete Friday night game.

Foxtel then show 2 or 3 games on the Sunday live or delayed.

Foxtel have a 1 hour round up show on Mondays and a preview show on Wednesdays.

In Sydney and Brisbane RL is king.

Across Australia RL is quite easily THE ratings king, hence the investment by Foxtel. In Vic they are rampant with paranoia ansd try to pretend the game doesn;t exist except when there's a point to be scored against them (eg the Bulldogs saga).
In NSW and QLD the AFL and RL seem to exist quite harmoniously , though it would seem that a compulsory check is made to ensure you possess a 4WD and tartan rug prior to being sold a ticket for either AFL or RU in Sydney.

Admittance to a game in Sydney is basically $15-$18 with kids under 12 free.
AFL costs min $23 up to about $80 in Sydney. hence the demographic of the crowds.

Salford just signed McGuinness - how I chuckled. He couldn;t even make the useless Manly bench!
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Rugby League seems to be recovering from the battle of the 2 leagues and the mergers which turned a lot of fans off the game. In 97 some of the attendances appeared paltry but now the game is on the rebound despite the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Vic does seem paranoid about other codes despite the state government drawing down some big Union Games. There was even talk of the Union world cup nicking fans and that AFL should have played whilst some union games were on in Melbourne. All very petty.

I believe the Melbourne Storm is a new team hence the lower attendances down there.

Next thing is to make the game interesting to watch. I admire the professionalism, the moves etc but it can be like watching Italian Football with less dives.
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:06 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by WhiteRose
Lathlain,

I just wondered whether you'd been to the Hull v Salford game at the KC Stadium on Sunday?

What was the score again?
No WR i didnt go and glad i didnt either! Please dont remind me the score, a disgrace for a Super League club!

Old May 3rd 2004, 2:10 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by RichS
Salford just signed McGuinness - how I chuckled. He couldn;t even make the useless Manly bench!
I think we'll just see if he settles in first before we pronounce judgement eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.