Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Unfortunately houses are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, or in this case what the banks are prepared to lend to buy it. The banks have determined that this asset class is on the way down.

Factor in the way the economy has gone belly up with the mass lay-offs in the building trade reported this week - and the knock on effect this will have for the wider economy - and I'm afraid houses have a lot further to go downwards.. Not good for some, but good for others.

CB
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Originally Posted by Laights
If we don't sell the house we have 2 options, we can go and validate before the 26th October this year and come back, or put the house up for rent, cash everything in and go with what we can raise. Its a real pain, this house selling lark.

I agree, why does this site seem to attract so many trolls.

Lisa

funny........we have to of validated by 25th october .
we're going on the 4th october for just under 3 weeks.

havin problems with one of the schools, they say i have to write to the govenors to see if they'll grant the time off.............to bloody late i've booked it and we're going even if they say no.......my kids hardly have any time off normally, its not like we do this every year!

wouldnt mind but i sent in a letter of explanation with the holiday form, and they want me to write & ask again .....................it would be soooo much easier if we could just go!!!!

sorry....rant over , all will be well in a few minutes, think i'm going to have my first glass of wine

lisa
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

We had the same problem and had to write to the school and get permission, it is all to do with local authority rules and regulations. In Norfolk the children are allowed 20 days max and after that you could be liable for a fine.......

Lersley-ann
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

rosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nicerosebee is just really nice

Ohhh would you believe I forgot to write my news

We exchanged contracts on our house today, happy days for us, it has been a long time in coming but we got there in the end and before anyway asks we had to drop our price by 40k (ouch).

Lesley-ann
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rosebee
We had the same problem and had to write to the school and get permission, it is all to do with local authority rules and regulations. In Norfolk the children are allowed 20 days max and after that you could be liable for a fine.......

Lersley-ann
I think if you have a visa to live in another country, that all you have to say is that you will be living in another country in which you have right of residence. It is not a holiday.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud ofmOZzy has much to be proud of

We exchanged contracts on our house today, happy days for us, it has been a long time in coming but we got there in the end and before anyway asks we had to drop our price by 40k (ouch).

Lesley-ann
great news!!! i am so not jelous
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hereshoping
May not be putting this is the most sensitive way, but he does have a point.

If you can afford to, dropping the price is the best way to sell. Of course many people might not want to do that, or might get themselves into negative equity if they do. It's about sorting out your priorities.
Agreed, but calling people greedy isn't fair. Offer advice by all means but calling people greedy for daring to own a house is out of order.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Looking back through the post and reading some people's comments, I feel quite miffed. (For want of a better word or two.) Everyone who is using the forum is more than likely on it for a reason and in this case moving to Australia. We are all sharing a common goal and that is "wanting a better life"
for ourselves and our families and in order to achieve this and move on we have to sell/give away our positions and in this case sell our homes.

Whilst most of us have our homes up for sale and have been caught in the midst of the credit crunch, we have seen thousands of pounds lost from tour homes. I alone have lost 45k and trust me it is a bitter pill to swallow. So think how we all feel when you put your comments.

"People should perhaps drop their asking price to more realistic levels and then they might actually get a sale and not be in this predicament!"

Others are being realistic and doing what they can to achieve a sale, so think before you type as you have offended alot of people including me.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Enough said guys, I now feel alot better saying my piece.

Lesley-ann
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Lesley-ann

well done really pleased for you..........although a little jealous at the same time
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simon_avfc
I don't mean to upset anyone but I'm afraid I have little sympathy, in the same way house owners have little sympathy for those struggling to get on the ladder.

I am simply suggesting people should follow the laws of supply and demand like we all have do!

If you are struggling to sell then lowering the price is the fastest and most effective way of getting a buyer. Simple as that. Problem over.
Nothing wrong with this post.

To the rest of you, I hope you have looked into what is happening with the Australian property market. If part of your dream is coming here and buying or building a home, you may well find your dream will turn into a nightmare.

However, if you plan on renting, you may pick up your dream home for a dream price in a couple of years.

Last edited by Pommie Granite; Jul 13th 2008 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Looking back through the post and reading some people's comments, I feel quite miffed. (For want of a better word or two.) Everyone who is using the forum is more than likely on it for a reason and in this case moving to Australia. We are all sharing a common goal and that is "wanting a better life"
for ourselves and our families and in order to achieve this and move on we have to sell/give away our positions and in this case sell our homes.

Whilst most of us have our homes up for sale and have been caught in the midst of the credit crunch, we have seen thousands of pounds lost from tour homes. I alone have lost 45k and trust me it is a bitter pill to swallow. So think how we all feel when you put your comments.

"People should perhaps drop their asking price to more realistic levels and then they might actually get a sale and not be in this predicament!"

Others are being realistic and doing what they can to achieve a sale, so think before you type as you have offended alot of people including me.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Enough said guys, I now feel alot better saying my piece.

Lesley-ann
You can't loose money you never had! At some point your house may have been valued at £45k more, but you never actually had that money. Try to think of it like this and you might feel less bitter.

The propery market in Oz does seem to be starting to go the same way as the UK, so selling for a lower price may not end up meaning you have to settle for a worse property in Oz in the long run.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

The propery market in Oz does seem to be starting to go the same way as the UK, so selling for a lower price may not end up meaning you have to settle for a worse property in Oz in the long run.
[/I]

The property market has slowed here (Sydney), although I doubt we will see large reductions in price in more desirable areas.

I can only speak for the area we are renting in, and here properties are still in high demand, sell quickly (if private treaty), few get 'passed in' at auction, and prices seem comparable to this time last year (to me anyway), although some people are of the opinion they are dropping (I will remain hopeful about this, as its so bloody expensive!!).

Molly x
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

We are 'to and froms' so thankfully we don't have to validate (sorry for busting in on this thread though!) I just wanted to add my 2 pennies worth. All I know is that we have dropped our price by 50K and have been on the market since Oct 07. We have had viewers but no offers. House needs nothing (seriously!) doing to it as we have done the place up ourselves to (we think) a very high standard and added an extension.
In a market like this how do you know what is market value anymore? Why do people (renters and subscribers to housepricecrash no doubt) seemingly now feel its time to spit on the seller with such wisdom as ' a house is only worth what someone is prepared to pay' and "People should perhaps drop their asking price to more realistic levels and then they might actually get a sale and not be in this predicament!"
Everyone is in a different situation regarding mortgages etc and I would love to be one of the ones who could 'give their house away' and still have plenty for Oz. Credit crunch will affect everone in some way so for gawd sake please leave us sellers alone as its hard enough as it is!!!
Thankyou and goodnight.
Dtp
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Just an update really.

We moved into our rental last week and apart form being without broadband, everything is going OK. We brought our first house 4 years ago (2 bed terrace) for £120k. We originally advertised for £140k but with no offers and prices falling we dropped to £130k after 2 months and we sold. I'm glad we did as the misses looked in the paper yesterday and a house identical to ours but in the opposite street is up for £114k now!

Really hope you guys get a break soon. I felt bad enough after 2 months and without a visa so I can only imagine how hard it must be after a year with your visa in hand.

Good luck all!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:51 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's only 6 days left until we validate our 175 visas!!!!!
Validating in Brisbane, Melbourne and Tasmania.
Taken house off the market now as it still hadn't sold after 15 months.
Will pay off our credit card from validating then get it back on the market early next year hopefully
Beth x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.