Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who do you finalise your UK tax with?

Who do you finalise your UK tax with?

Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who do you finalise your UK tax with?

Just (eventually) got my UK tax refund after leaving in September and sending the form off.

Someone who has gone through it: who do I deal with for the 2004-2005 final tax return? Is it my old tax office, or the people at Bootle to whom apparently the Fitzroy House people sent my form?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who do you finalise your UK tax with?

Hi Rog Williams,
I leave for sydney in may, finish work mid april, will i be able to claim a tax rebate? will only have worked a couple of weeks in new tax year, so can i apply. also, where and how do the tax office send u you rmoney?
cheers

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Just (eventually) got my UK tax refund after leaving in September and sending the form off.

Someone who has gone through it: who do I deal with for the 2004-2005 final tax return? Is it my old tax office, or the people at Bootle to whom apparently the Fitzroy House people sent my form?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 11:44 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say in your case because presumably you are working and stop being paid when you leave. In my case, I'm on a pension which is still paid now that I'm in Australia, so the tax which was deducted from the date of leaving was refunded. I now have the privilege of paying it - and more - to the Federal tax people here.

I still have to finalise the current year UK wise, and I don't know who I am dealing with!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 6:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Rog,

It should be clear from the address shown on the front of the Tax Return.

Best regards.

Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quite.

Problem is, I won't GET a tax return unless I tell them where I'm living - which is the reason for asking!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

I'm self-employed and was told to contact my old tax office and they have said that they would be happy to send the tax return to Oz. Lucky me!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:11 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Rog,

Am I right in recalling that you are receiving a UK source pension? If so, I would contact the IR district that oversees the PAYE Scheme for that pension scheme - if you need contact details (including a fax number) once you have the district name let me know ...

Best regards.

Quite.

Problem is, I won't GET a tax return unless I tell them where I'm living - which is the reason for asking!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Alan, but I have the numbers etc. I was just trying to save myself dialling around the UK to find who was interested!