Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White Australia Policy - still present?

Wikiposts

White Australia Policy - still present?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:32 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: White Australia Policy - still present?

Originally Posted by Exile
Not the case with "Paki Cricket Team". A term with historical racist connotations is being used to refer directly to those who are most likely to be offended.
From the earlier Wiktionary link.

Noun
Paki (plural Pakis)
(UK, Canada, offensive, racial slur) A Pakistani, or, more generally and incorrectly used, a person who is perceived to be from South Asian or the Indian Subcontinent origin which is still considered offensive. See usage notes.
Translations
Russian: пак (pak) m
Adjective
Paki (not comparable)
Short for Pakistani.
(literally means in Urdu) Pure, Cleanliness
(UK, Canada, pejorative, offensive and racist when spoken by non-Pakistanis) Pakistani, or perceived to be Pakistani.
In the case of Paki Cricket Team see highlight above

I suspect that MartinLuther is just taking a stance here (moral relativism?) as a means of attacking perceived English cultural imperialism.
Or I could just be looking at a bigger picture.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
A long time ago......there was a thread started by a Pakistani poster looking for advice who used the term 'Paki' in the thread title. Needless to say some people were outraged and the thread title was changed.....however the poster had no idea that the term could have negative connatations.

Much as I never agree with anything he says, Ned Kelly did have a point here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=24

I'm not sure how you can go on about globalisation and lack of cultural isolation in one sentence and yet say that by and large the derogatory meaning of 'Spooks' is not widely known in the UK??

I must admit that link suprised me a little. It seems Pakistanis view Paki in the same way we do Pom. Interesting. Like most people I had always thought of it in the derogatory sense. Thanks for posting that.

Still wouldn't say it though
Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
A long time ago......there was a thread started by a Pakistani poster looking for advice who used the term 'Paki' in the thread title. Needless to say some people were outraged and the thread title was changed.....however the poster had no idea that the term could have negative connatations.

Much as I never agree with anything he says, Ned Kelly did have a point here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=24

I'm not sure how you can go on about globalisation and lack of cultural isolation in one sentence and yet say that by and large the derogatory meaning of 'Spooks' is not widely known in the UK??
Interesting link. Did you read the whole thread? (I'm not ex-exile, by the way)

Do you think the term should be used more widely then?

With Australia's recent historical connections to the UK and the massive migration, it seems unlikely that a considerable proportion of the population is not aware of the racist connotations of Paki. Not so with the UK and spooks. And the contexts of these examples were completely different.

There is also a major difference between Pakistanis using the term Paki and someone else using it. The first poster on the other thread obviously didn't grow up hearing it used with venom and hatred, probably because they grew up in Pakistan.

It raises the question, where do you draw the line between Australia being refreshingly un-PC and the last bastion for racist bigots?

(I'm not suggesting that anyone here is a racist bigot, by the way. But some things about Australia do seem to appeal to that type)

Last edited by Exile; Sep 17th 2008 at 1:57 am.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Just have a look on Wikipedia for 'Nigger' or 'Paki' - unambiguously racist - and as you say in the case of Paki not just in the UK.
Wikipedia gives the following on a page titled 'List of ethnic slurs'.

Paki / Pakki
(Primarily UK and Canada, sometimes US, NZ and India) a South Asian. Within the UK, the term originates in Northern England, where a large number of South-Asians arrived in the 1950s and 1960s, and where they and their descendants have settled in cities such as Bradford and Leeds. Because of the large number of Pakistanis living in Bradford, the city is sometimes referred to as 'Bradistan', mixing Bradford and Pakistan. It is also sometimes called 'Pakiford' It is usually considered offensive when used by a non-South Asian in the UK.
If you then click on the link Paki it takes you to the Wiktionary entry already given which states that Paki could mean:
  • (UK, Canada, offensive, racial slur) A Pakistani, or, more generally and incorrectly used, a person who is perceived to be from South Asian or the Indian Subcontinent origin which is still considered offensive. See usage notes.
  • Short for Pakistani.
  • (literally means in Urdu) Pure, Cleanliness
  • (UK, Canada, pejorative, offensive and racist when spoken by non-Pakistanis) Pakistani, or perceived to be Pakistani.

I guess you and I have different definitions for unambiguous.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Sep 17th 2008 at 2:04 am.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

I find it funny that a lot of people here are saying Australia is un-pc. You people are obviously not here or haven’t been here for very long. Australia is very very PC.

When going to Uni here we were not even allowed to use the terms BC (before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini ) when stating dates, we had to use the PC term which is BCE and CE...... for people who don’t know, that’s “Before Common Era” and “Common Era”

Chalkboards instead of Blackboards
Rainbow sheep instead of Black sheep
Personhole instead of Manhole
Mind-map instead of Brain storm
Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas

Australia is full of PC.

Mikey
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:09 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

I wish everyone would stop going to www.somewebsite.com and using it as some sort of argument either way.

"It says it on the Internet it must be true" is not a basis to determine if a word is offensive or not (common sense is).

I can go on wikipedia right now and put whatever I want on the page for "paki" as can the 4 billion other people on the planet.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but it also seems that a big part of Australia's appeal to migrants from the UK is the perceived absence of PC.

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
I find it funny that a lot of people here are saying Australia is un-pc. You people are obviously not here or haven’t been here for very long. Australia is very very PC.

When going to Uni here we were not even allowed to use the terms BC (before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini ) when stating dates, we had to use the PC term which is BCE and CE...... for people who don’t know, that’s “Before Common Era” and “Common Era”

Chalkboards instead of Blackboards
Rainbow sheep instead of Black sheep
Personhole instead of Manhole
Mind-map instead of Brain storm

Australia is full of PC.

Mikey
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

I agree, but it also seems that a big part of Australia's appeal to migrants from the UK is the perceived absence of PC.
But they are also probably the same migrants (sorry, I think the PC term is now "newcomer" not migrants, lol) who come here thinking they can buy a house with no mortgage, live in the beach in a perfect society, no crime, or bills or stress.

With the PC, what I don’t get is we can’t call it a Blackboard anymore, yet we are still allowed use the term “Whiteboard” for the whiteboard?

Mikey
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, so true. Then they find Australia is much more PC about everything except race issues. Half of the racy/sexy type ads in the UK would be banned in Australia.

Also I view Australia as some kind of Police state these days. Where else in the world are you asked to show the contents of your bag(s) to store staff when leaving without buying anything? In fact even when my wife was buying something at K-Mart they asked to look inside her hand-bag!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did.

No I don't & neither am I suggesting that it should.

With Australia's recent historical connections to the UK and the massive migration, it seems unlikely that a considerable proportion of the population is not aware of the racist connotations of Paki. Not so with the UK and spooks. And the contexts of these examples were completely different.

There is also a major difference between Pakistanis using the term Paki and someone else using it. The first poster on the other thread obviously didn't grow up hearing it used with venom and hatred, probably because they grew up in Pakistan.
I don't think your assumption that Aussies must be aware of the other use of the word 'Paki' holds. As a Scot, I use words & terms that people in London have never heard nor understand. In Australia, I find many occasions where I & British friends & colleagues use words & slang that are greeted with blank looks.

(I'm not suggesting that anyone here is a racist bigot, by the way. But some things about Australia do seem to appeal to that type)
That I do agree with - however I hope many of them are in for a surprise when they get here!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
Yep, so true. Then they find Australia is much more PC about everything except race issues. Half of the racy/sexy type ads in the UK would be banned in Australia.

Also I view Australia as some kind of Police state these days. Where else in the world are you asked to show the contents of your bag(s) to store staff when leaving without buying anything? In fact even when my wife was buying something at K-Mart they asked to look inside her hand-bag!!
Let's do a poll of the whole world...

I find that you just smile and walk past half the time Or just wave it in their general direction.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mikeyc

Australia is full of PC.

Mikey
Are you sure you're not in America?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
I wish everyone would stop going to www.somewebsite.com and using it as some sort of argument either way.

"It says it on the Internet it must be true" is not a basis to determine if a word is offensive or not (common sense is).

I can go on wikipedia right now and put whatever I want on the page for "paki" as can the 4 billion other people on the planet.
It wont last though. I remember someone changing the UK page to "It's a pile of poo lying off continental Europe...." but it only lasted a few moments before it was changed back.

Unfortunately common sense does not seem to be consistent from one person to the next so that is also not a good basis to determine whether a word is offensive or not.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Devlin
You're right: you'd never see a racy/sexy advert in Aus. It's like a puritanical state.

:tongue-most-definitely-firmly-in-cheek:
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It raises the question, where do you draw the line between Australia being refreshingly un-PC and the last bastion for racist bigots?

The Vast majority of Aussies are totally unaware that the abbreviation is viewed as a racial slur in the UK, there are even UK migrants that arrived pre 1968 that dont know this either. The other point is when they do find out they dont care that it's a racial slur in the UK... reason being its simply an abbreviation and this is Australia not the UK.

Litmus test would be... ask a person that has migrated directly from Pakistan (not via the UK) for yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.