Whinge time!

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Whinge time!

Ok, bout time I had a whinge! ...lol.

Family/friends lack of support.

Well to briefly outline, me and family have wanted to emigrate to Oz for about 2 yrs. We tried with prev skills thru TRA and no good Now both myself and partner are gonna attempt the risky 'study to PR' as basically it's that or nothing!

Ok.

Well it's just the support, or lack of really. I'm REALLY fudged off with it all and feel I need to let rip!

I've got a few close friends who both have disappeared from Cyberland (one in Israel, other UK) since I told them Oz was back on, and we had a holiday booked so we could go out and check everything was what we imagined it would be. Normally it would be daily emails between us all with the usual silly stuff, but the odd serious email too now and then but since telling them about our plans ......... silence in cyberland!

The last comment from the UK friend after me telling them the latest was "don't do bankin on Oz!" ... which is just SOOOOOOO positive isn't it! The other friend has just disappeared!

Then there's the family!

"oh well EVERYONE thinks your mad, and doin the wrong thing!" was one of the last comments to come from my mums mouth. One of my brothers last comment's when I told him Oz was back on was "I'm not saying nothing!" ........ and my dad thinks I REALLY have lost the plot!

SOOOOOOO much support, I know your all jealous! ...lol, but it DOES get to me!

Why can't ppl just see this is what 'WE' want to do (and I mean ALL of us! ... kids and all!) and just wish us luck ???

My mum had a 60th party recently and I see loads of relatives from all over the UK (not seen most for over 5yrs!) and I wanted to spill the beans, but didn't after most ppl on BE (did a post about it!) said I should leave it. Anyway, I found out only a few days ago that one of my brothers had pulled my daughter to one side and asked her if she wanted to go to Oz? She replied "yes", and he then went on to question her as to if she REALLY wanted to go! ........ as if we're funkin twisting her bloody arm!!

BOTH our kids are as much up for this as we are, and some ppl around us know this, but it's just the ones that SHOULD be closest, just can't see it!

Oh I dunno, whinge over!

I had soooo much more to say, but this is prob too long a post already, and I'd like a lil support really so don't want to risk sending you to sleep ...

Someone please tell me this is usual, and all part of the package!

I KNOW many ppl have probs with teenagers not wanting to go with them to Oz (or wherever!) and all the rest, but ALL of us want it, but I just can't get my head round why pretty much all of our family think we're 'doin the wrong thing' moving to Oz!

HELP!!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:19 am
Badge

Default Re: Whinge time!

families eh.

When I first came here my family guessed I wouldn't come back - they knew I would ''fit in'' here in a way which would be obvious given my life choices, experiences and interests.

My Dad was very pleased for me - he wanted to come out here 30 years ago - he knows on which side my bread is buttered. It didn't surpise him.

I didn't tell my Mum - I made it out to be a long working visit - well my mother found out because my brother dobbed me in - and after a few emails she seemed to come around to it - She wants to come to Melbourne but is concerned about the heat ""You know I can't cope with heat"- I said Mum - it's Melbourne. "We get cold here too you know".

I've never had to worry about family - my mother lives in Wales, I have only seen her 3-5 times in 5 years. So unless we had a family in Wales we wouldn't get the support anyhow. My Dad lived on the other side of London and doesn't drive so he is out of the support thing too.

We actually know more families here than in the UK all of who have adopted us to a greater or lesser extent. So its win win.

Badge

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Badge
families eh.

When I first came here my family guessed I wouldn't come back - they knew I would ''fit in'' here in a way which would be obvious given my life choices, experiences and interests.

My Dad was very pleased for me - he wanted to come out here 30 years ago - he knows on which side my bread is buttered. It didn't surpise him.

I didn't tell my Mum - I made it out to be a long working visit - well my mother found out because my brother dobbed me in - and after a few emails she seemed to come around to it - She wants to come to Melbourne but is concerned about the heat ""You know I can't cope with heat"- I said Mum - it's Melbourne. "We get cold here too you know".

I've never had to worry about family - my mother lives in Wales, I have only seen her 3-5 times in 5 years. So unless we had a family in Wales we wouldn't get the support anyhow. My Dad lived on the other side of London and doesn't drive so he is out of the support thing too.

We actually know more families here than in the UK all of who have adopted us to a greater or lesser extent. So its win win.

Badge
Well that to me doesn't sound too bad, your dad was pleased, and your mother came round!

I just feel so far from that right now

ALTHO! ....... I have a sister who said she'd like someone in Oz to visit! ....... that's a start I spose!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:25 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jim2004

HELP!!
Reading your post makes me realise how long I have been on this forum, and the number of times I have read the very same thing, from other posters.

It does, unfortunately, seem pretty common.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:26 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

You have to live your dream or else live to regret that you didn't. Exactly what disastrous scenarios are these "well-meaning" friends and rellies worried about?

Plenty of people undertake life changes that don't involve immigration -- they return to school, change careers, or move house in the country of their birth. And still they are often questioned!

You have to think of life as possibilities and rewards rather than pitfalls and disasters. Life will deliver the disasters that are out of our control, but it's up to us to make our own joy.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Reading your post makes me realise how long I have been on this forum, and the number of times I have read the very same thing, from other posters.

It does, unfortunately, seem pretty common.
Hi ABC, ok well that does make me feel better

Shouldn't be so tho is it!

Why ?!

Someone said to me they are just jealous, and it's cos they don't have the bottle to do it, but I have family members who have said they'd love to live in Oz. They'd get thru the TRA easy, yet they don't go!

regardless really, all I want from them is "good luck", "hope you make it!", and a "let me know when we can come over and visit you!" ...... fine!!

It's just not like that
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You have to live your dream or else live to regret that you didn't. Exactly what disastrous scenarios are these "well-meaning" friends and rellies worried about?

Plenty of people undertake life changes that don't involve immigration -- they return to school, change careers, or move house in the country of their birth. And still they are often questioned!

You have to think of life as possibilities and rewards rather than pitfalls and disasters. Life will deliver the disasters that are out of our control, but it's up to us to make our own joy.
exactly!

I don't want to be 50 and saying "oh I wish we'd give it a try!"

If we fail to get PR, then that'd be terrible, but there IS every chance of that. We ALL know this, and STILL want to give it a shot. At the end of the day it will be 2 pretty comfy years in Oz, how bad is that!

But no!!!!!! ........ 'we ALL think your making the wrong decision!!'

oh booo booo booo to them all! ....... but still not happy
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Turn the logic round. If someone is trying for a promotion, tell them that the chances they'll get it are small and if they do get it the hours will be longer and the stress higher. Might even be hard on the family.

Maybe they'd get the hint.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:45 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by Badge
families eh.

Badge
" How to cope with the heat in Melbourne" ? What heat, its 12c degrees with showers today in Melbourne.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Turn the logic round. If someone is trying for a promotion, tell them that the chances they'll get it are small and if they do get it the hours will be longer and the stress higher. Might even be hard on the family.

Maybe they'd get the hint.
Big prob is 'logic' doesn't seem to come into it

I mean, we all want to go to Oz, it's logical to 'go to Oz!' ....... but they don't see it that way!

We after all are doing something that EVERYONE thinks is mad!

Good job we aint on our own as I heard there is the odd UK citizen who has done this b4!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:06 am
aussie73

Ok, bout time I had a whinge! ...lol.

Family/friends lack of support.

Well to briefly outline, me and family have wanted to emigrate to Oz for about 2 yrs. We tried with prev skills thru TRA and no good Now both myself and partner are gonna attempt the risky 'study to PR' as basically it's that or nothing!

Ok.

Well it's just the support, or lack of really. I'm REALLY fudged off with it all and feel I need to let rip!

I've got a few close friends who both have disappeared from Cyberland (one in Israel, other UK) since I told them Oz was back on, and we had a holiday booked so we could go out and check everything was what we imagined it would be. Normally it would be daily emails between us all with the usual silly stuff, but the odd serious email too now and then but since telling them about our plans ......... silence in cyberland!

The last comment from the UK friend after me telling them the latest was "don't do bankin on Oz!" ... which is just SOOOOOOO positive isn't it! The other friend has just disappeared!

Then there's the family!

"oh well EVERYONE thinks your mad, and doin the wrong thing!" was one of the last comments to come from my mums mouth. One of my brothers last comment's when I told him Oz was back on was "I'm not saying nothing!" ........ and my dad thinks I REALLY have lost the plot!

SOOOOOOO much support, I know your all jealous! ...lol, but it DOES get to me!

Why can't ppl just see this is what 'WE' want to do (and I mean ALL of us! ... kids and all!) and just wish us luck ???

My mum had a 60th party recently and I see loads of relatives from all over the UK (not seen most for over 5yrs!) and I wanted to spill the beans, but didn't after most ppl on BE (did a post about it!) said I should leave it. Anyway, I found out only a few days ago that one of my brothers had pulled my daughter to one side and asked her if she wanted to go to Oz? She replied "yes", and he then went on to question her as to if she REALLY wanted to go! ........ as if we're funkin twisting her bloody arm!!

BOTH our kids are as much up for this as we are, and some ppl around us know this, but it's just the ones that SHOULD be closest, just can't see it!

Oh I dunno, whinge over!

I had soooo much more to say, but this is prob too long a post already, and I'd like a lil support really so don't want to risk sending you to sleep ...

I KNOW many ppl have probs with teenagers not wanting to go with them to Oz (or wherever!) and all the rest, but ALL of us want it, but I just can't get my head round why pretty much all of our family think we're 'doin the wrong thing' moving to Oz!

HELP!!
Obviously none of your family have ever been to OZ before, if they had l doubt they would have such a negative perception of the place or think you are making a mistake immigrating.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 18th 2005 at 3:09 am.

Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aussie73
Obviously none of your family have ever been to OZ before, if they had they
would'nt have such a negative perception of the place.
Oh no, never!

Funny thing is, EVERY Aussie or person I come across tells me I'll/we'll love it!

Thing is, when we was looking into France a few year back, that was fine! When one of my brothers was looking into Portugal, that too was fine!

Oz tho, is a no go!

Ok, I'm answering my own question here, cos Oz after all is a little further away ...lol, but it's not that!

As for my mates, they're the same. France was fine, but Oz isn't!!

Can't work it out personally!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:29 am
Badge

Originally Posted by aussie73
" How to cope with the heat in Melbourne" ? What heat, its 12c degrees with showers today in Melbourne.
Exactly -

(Although - try 12 and glorious sun )

Badge

Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:09 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

exactly!

I don't want to be 50 and saying "oh I wish we'd give it a try!"

If we fail to get PR, then that'd be terrible, but there IS every chance of that. We ALL know this, and STILL want to give it a shot. At the end of the day it will be 2 pretty comfy years in Oz, how bad is that!

But no!!!!!! ........ 'we ALL think your making the wrong decision!!'

The point is that it is your decision, and no one else's and if it's a mistake then it will be you that has to deal with it. But if the decision is swayed by friends and family, then any regrets you may have about not going could be directed at others.

Only you know what is right for you at any given time, and while support would be great, it is not necessary for you to succeed in whatever you do. Follow your dreams to wherever they take you and have no regrets, about the experiences in your life. Whatever you decide, and wherever you end up, good luck and stay positive.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fireeater
The point is that it is your decision, and no one else's and if it's a mistake then it will be you that has to deal with it. But if the decision is swayed by friends and family, then any regrets you may have about not going could be directed at others.

Only you know what is right for you at any given time, and while support would be great, it is not necessary for you to succeed in whatever you do. Follow your dreams to wherever they take you and have no regrets, about the experiences in your life. Whatever you decide, and wherever you end up, good luck and stay positive.
That's all I'm asking for, exactly that!

Hey Fireeater, you don't wanna be my mum for 6 months do ya? ... lol

I know what I'm goin for is risky, we ALL know that, but even if we don't succeed, then we're gonna have a good time. I know an ole cliche, but we don't really know what is round the corner, and 2 years in Oz ISN'T gonna be a bad move in our overall life situation!

I know it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.