Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Old Aug 10th 2011, 9:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Originally Posted by sssss
Really undecided as to whether to go for the job I have been offered in OZ.
I read on here about ping pongers, people who dont settle there and wish they could come home, people who have the curse of the ex pat and dont settle when they come home and obviously people who love it!

Just so undecided! I dont go along with the whole sun thing and want real answers!

- Spiders - whats the reality of life down under with them, even with a house sprayed.
Yes there are spiders, lots of them depending on where you live. Most are harmless, many are big and some are very big.

- crime - standard of living - what is it really like? Better than the uk? (in south australia)
There is crime here, in places there is lots of crime and it isnt safe to walk the streets at night. Much like the UK and apparently overall crime rates are very similar with murder, gun crime etc higher here. I dont generally feel safer or less safe here, it depends where you live in each country. There is all the same crimes here.

- kids - we dont have them yet but is it really 'better to bring them up here'
No Australia isn't a 'better' place to bring up kids, it is different. We live in Brisbane and our kids and their mates seem to spend much more time inside than out so don't go thinking that sunshine just automatically means kids are outside all the time. Our boys don't play sport or like beaches so there is no benefit for them but kids are all different.

- lifestyle - lots of people moaning that oz is boring which is worrying!
Australia isn't necessarily 'boring' but for us it isn't stimulating enough BUT again we are all different. We are moving back to the UK because what we are into is there and not here.

I know its how long is a peice of string but real/honest answers would be great.

I am unsure whether to simply go and live in the countryside instead of the city and stay in the uk.
I personally wouldn't live in a city anywhere and to be honest Brisbane is the only city I can even tolerate for short periods of time but we live 30k's out.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Yes. When my scalectrix was getting packed away and I was told to go to my room and read a book! I associate it with bad things

Scalectrix!! I was poor, I had to play on the road with the real cars
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:48 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Scalectrix!! I was poor, I had to play on the road with the real cars
you had a road?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
you had a road?
Well I say road, but it was more of a dirt track
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

sssss will become famous soon enoughsssss will become famous soon enough

Thanks. To be honest my main reason to move is for children. I dont think i want to move for me but for my future kids. Just unsure whether oz is much safer than uk i suppose if not then i would rather stay put. Hate to be unsettled all my life and the posts on here from ping pongers etc really worry me! Not what i would want for me, i just want to be settled
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. To be honest my main reason to move is for children. I dont think i want to move for me but for my future kids. Just unsure whether oz is much safer than uk i suppose if not then i would rather stay put. Hate to be unsettled all my life and the posts on here from ping pongers etc really worry me! Not what i would want for me, i just want to be settled
Dont move for the kids. Australia isnt anything magical which is going to guarantee them a better life. If you are going to move, do it because you have an opportunity not to be missed or an itch for adventure.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

In that case you should stay put.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what happens if you move then for some reason you don't have kids!?

I don't think anybody really does it JUST for the kids. It may be a factor, but it's never the only reason. You have got to really want it, mostly because it's really isn't an easy thing to do. Even those of us who really love our life here, and like me wanted it for as long as they can remember, find it tough in the first 6 to 12 months.

So yeah, YOU have to want it.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

why dont you consult with them when they a) exist and b) are a bit older?
many people had and continue to have awesome upbringings in the UK.
I did. My niece and nephews (5 and 7) love it.

Again, its the person who brings up the kids, not the country.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

If it is not your wish to relocate then my advice is don't do it.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:52 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
LOL. sorry, but what a generalised point!

Just because the sun shines in australia you think people arent sat at home watching crap on the TV! Wide open spaces available in both places, fresh air available in both places.
Going to nightclubs: Maybe get with the times a little, that happens all over the world. Or have you not experienced any major global city on Thursday Friday and Satrudays? Thats related to demographics not geographical location thing.

You should also probably mention the "football hooligans" and the "beer louts" in the UK too, just to drive your point home.
You missed the point, or possibly I didn't state it clearly enough. What I meant was that Australia offers a lot more for the outdoor enthusiast with plenty of open countryside and spectacular scenery (try finding somewhere in the UK where you can drive for 500km and not see another vehicle), but if your lifestyle is clubs and TV then there is nothing over here that you can't get in the UK so lifestyle is not a reason to emigrate.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You missed the point, or possibly I didn't state it clearly enough. What I meant was that Australia offers a lot more for the outdoor enthusiast with plenty of open countryside and spectacular scenery (try finding somewhere in the UK where you can drive for 500km and not see another vehicle), but if your lifestyle is clubs and TV then there is nothing over here that you can't get in the UK so lifestyle is not a reason to emigrate.
But the point is that you can drive 500km in UK (even 50km) and see such a fabulous variety of scenery whereas in Aus you can drive 500km and see exactly the same scenery and have no idea where the hell you are (just dandy when you break down on the Hume and try directing the NRMA to your location!)

I find the UK outdoors so much more friendly and accessible - but each to their own!

This outdoor lifestyle thingie is another furphy really - if you arent outdoorsy people in UK then you probably wont be in Aus either when you are needing to slather every sq inch with sunscreen and insect repellent, sweat like a pig whenever you venture outside and watch your skin turning to tanned leather in front of your very eyes.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:49 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
But the point is that you can drive 500km in UK (even 50km) and see such a fabulous variety of scenery whereas in Aus you can drive 500km and see exactly the same scenery and have no idea where the hell you are (just dandy when you break down on the Hume and try directing the NRMA to your location!)

I find the UK outdoors so much more friendly and accessible - but each to their own!

This outdoor lifestyle thingie is another furphy really - if you arent outdoorsy people in UK then you probably wont be in Aus either when you are needing to slather every sq inch with sunscreen and insect repellent, sweat like a pig whenever you venture outside and watch your skin turning to tanned leather in front of your very eyes.
You've missed the point again! Sure there is great scenery in Britain - I've recently returned from a holiday which included a week in the Lake District - but in Australia you can find scenery that you will never see in Britain (or Europe) but the city lifestyle is the same anywhere in the English speaking world.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:53 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Given the current economic conditions and the housing market you are more likely to be an outdoorsy person in Oz.

Or at least living in a tent.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

As always, I'm in agreement with Quoll, who has repeat personal experience to back her comments, considering she's lived in Oz for years and at the same time revisits the UK frequently. Of all the comments to be found in this forum, Quoll's are best to be relied upon for the pure, unvarnished truth, imo

When we were kids (brought to Oz by parents seeking 'adventure and better life for themselves and family) our intrepid adventurer parents insisted we have a 'better quality of life' and experience first hand ' Oz's great outdoors and superior climate' lol

We camped, biked, drove, motelled and caravaned and walked. And it was an ordeal, most of the time. Only thing which made it bearable were the kids we met and formed temporary friendships with

Nowadays, I watch the superb production ' Coast ' -- only to see what TRULY superior 'great outdoors' and 'quality of life' is all about ! It's in Britain !. And it doesn't take dozens of hours stuck in the back of a car, passing hundreds of miles of monotonous Aussie scenery consisting of washed-out scrub interspersed with more washed out scrub !

Take the journey to Queensland's Far North. We imagined it would be tropical - Hawaiian looking - with tall tuffed palms and lower down the sort of rich, tropical greenery you find in expensive garden nurseries. No. It was more washed-out scrub and still more -- even up to Port Douglas and around Trinity Beach

Going south to Bega in southern NSW - not much there either - nothing you wouldn't see anywhere in the world -- some grass, some cows, some old farmhouses

Go west, to Kingaroy, Biloela, Proston, Gayandah --- yep, more washed out scrub and miles of empty, lonely road with a farmhouse off in the distance. And those farmhouses are nothing spectacular - nothing heritage listed - nothing scenic - nothing you'd remember

Head to Toowoomba. Yes, you're getting the picture -- more washed out scrub and lonely, lonely roads. And when you get there, what do you find ? A mock English structure, the university (surrounded by not much at all)

So what's all this we keep hearing about re: 'quality of life' and 'magnificent climate and scenery' in Oz ? It rains here. It gets very cold and also very hot and very dry and very wet here. Rare to find double-glazing. People with their heads to the ground, weighed down by worry, unemployment, mortgage pressures, rising costs, racial tensions, massive immigration, ever rising energy prices, expensive across the board, jobs being shipped overseas, crippling welfare existences for young and old unable to find work

Better quality of life ? Great outdoors ? Great climate ? They've been telling porkies about Australia since they decided to utilize it as a penal colony

And despite well over a decade of repeated requests by academics and public alike, the Oz government continues to refuse to make public the number of Aussies who leave Oz permanently each year. Oh -- and let's not forget the official number of Aussies who travelled OUT of Australia last year in preference to holidaying in Oz's supposed 'superior climate, great outdoors and scenery'. The official number of Aussies who'd had enough of Oz and wanted to go somewhere nice for a change -- numbered over 6 million ! A quarter of Oz's entire population ! Even in these difficult financial times. So ponder that ...

Then you look at Britain, that treasure trove of unspoiled scenery - with its astonishing variety - with its abundant means of transport - with its history, its charm, its uniqueness - with its innumberable islands, each with history, mystery, and so within reach. Its coves, bays, harbours, inlets - all with their unique charm. Its beaches, its marshes, its lakes and rivers, tumbling streams, waterfalls, magical pasts

Sure, come to Australia, by all means. The Aussie government will paint a rich tapestry of supposed delights for those stricken with 'grass is greener' syndrome. But here's a hint: put the money for your return fare in a very safe place -- for when you accept you've been unable to find much in Oz that you didn't have a better version of, right under your nose in the UK

Last edited by folic; Aug 11th 2011 at 6:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.