Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Originally Posted by campervanfan
to think my hands would be warm all year round would be heaven.....
where are you hoping to go then.

It gets bloody cold here in the winter (Brisbane) and worse further south.

I feel colder here at night than I ever did in Derbyshire
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose they could try Cairns or Darwin, not my idea of somewhere to live but plenty seem to like it. Certainly here in Brisbane it isnt even close to being warm all year.
It is bloody cold in the house this morning, it's nice outside though. Because the older houses are made with string and cardboard keeping heat out or getting them warm isnt a strongpoint.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

'Going south to Bega in southern NSW - not much there either - nothing you wouldn't see anywhere in the world -- some grass, some cows, some old farmhouses.'

Unquote

This line from an earlier post grated at me, had to think for a while. It's an insult not just to NEW South Wales but OLD South Wales because, as anyone who has ever driven along the M4 marvelling at the rolling hills on one side and the sea on the other, will understand just why Captain James Cook named the place!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
When I get old the last place I want to be is somewhere cold. the UK can be freezing - literally. You want about 20 degrees all yr round and sydney's around that most of the year. Yes some days are 35 and some 10 but not that often.

Uk's gone to pot anyway - check out the riots. The British look at people rioting in Lebanon, Africa, Afghanistan and call them 3rd world countries. Is the UK any better? Its up to the eyeballs in scum.

Yes you guys are right Aussies do see things through rose tinted spectacles and its a rip off but if you have young kids its a no brainer where to bring them up. People won't like it but the UK doesn't have much going for it right now.
It's good to hear that some of the trash has left tho
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saveme

'Going south to Bega in southern NSW - not much there either - nothing you wouldn't see anywhere in the world -- some grass, some cows, some old farmhouses.'

Unquote

This line from an earlier post grated at me, had to think for a while. It's an insult not just to NEW South Wales but OLD South Wales because, as anyone who has ever driven along the M4 marvelling at the rolling hills on one side and the sea on the other, will understand just why Captain James Cook named the place!
You might see it as an insult, but as somebody who actually lives in Southern NSW it's not that far off the mark... that's not to say it's a bad thing, just that's how it is. It is VERY quiet once you get South of Nowra.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:44 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme

Unquote

Because it looks like Port Talbot?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:47 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You might see it as an insult, but as somebody who actually lives in Southern NSW it's not that far off the mark... that's not to say it's a bad thing, just that's how it is. It is VERY quiet once you get South of Nowra.
When I first arrived I was driving up the coast there. I can remember seeing cows gathering under a palm tree to get out of the sun and thought "that's something I've not see before".
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rambi
When I first arrived I was driving up the coast there. I can remember seeing cows gathering under a palm tree to get out of the sun and thought "that's something I've not see before".
It's certainly different. It's funny that you should mention the trees as it was one of the things really stood out as making the countryside look a little 'odd' when I first got here. It really does look like South Wales down here... but there was always something not quite right, and it was the gum trees and 'lollipop palms'.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It really does look like South Wales down here... but there was always something not quite right, and it was the gum trees and 'lollipop palms'.
and Mancunians.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by papilon
It's good to hear that some of the trash has left tho
You've got a lot worse than people like me to worry about. Did you watch the news last week?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:28 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

It's certainly different. It's funny that you should mention the trees as it was one of the things really stood out as making the countryside look a little 'odd' when I first got here. It really does look like South Wales down here... but there was always something not quite right, and it was the gum trees and 'lollipop palms'.
Talking of trees. When I first arrived I thought the gum trees all looked the same (and well ugly compared to European trees). Now I notice the differences much more (and they're not all ugly).

They still look very tall.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
where are you hoping to go then.

It gets bloody cold here in the winter (Brisbane) and worse further south.

I feel colder here at night than I ever did in Derbyshire
wherever my daughter's based by the time I can get it all together to make the move- currently Sydney (well she's actually in Hawaii this week - that would do!!) she does report monsoon -like rainfall at times but certainly not cold like we've suffered here recently- I'm not a fan of ice & snow so not too fussed about leaving that all behind me!! then again you dont miss anything til it's gone....
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Aren't there 'flame trees' once you get down Berry way?

I don't mind that it's quiet either, just the implication that it's flat scrub with the odd farmhouse and tree.

I seem to recall rolling green hills, again around Berry?, thick forest right down south and more rolling hills, wonderful seaside towns like Batemans Bay, Merimbula and Eden.

I drove from Sydney to Port Pirie in SA before turning east thru Broken Hill, Wilcannia, Cobar, Bourke, Cunnamulla, Goondiwindi. Ity was a wonderful trip and the first time I'd really been into outback Australia.