Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wheres best to live in Western Australia

wheres best to live in Western Australia

Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

engineer wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wheres best to live in Western Australia

Can anyone tell me where would be best to bring my family to Western Australia, I have two boys aged 2 and 9. I have finally got my 176 visa last week and ready to move once Ive found work but just no idea where to go in WA, I know my job might decide for me but there must be places even in WA that people like to avoid due to crime and drugs etc.
Anyone got any IDEAS????
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wheres best to live in Western Australia

Do you know that WA is the size of what used to be known as Western Europe? Perhaps you could give us a few more details, such as:
  • Do you intend to rent, then buy in the same area?
  • If so, what is your budget for (a) renting, (b) buying?
  • What sort of lifestyle do you want, near to beach, river, bush area, inner-city vibe, older housing or a new build?
  • What about transport?
  • Do you know where you will be working, or the area where you are likely to find work, eg CBD or FIFO?

We love talking about Perth suburbs and schools on here, there have been several threads on this subject.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My street
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:51 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by engineer wayne
and ready to move once Ive found work
You will most likely find it nigh on impossible to find work before you get here.
It is possible but difficult most say.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

azakir is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by EvannTel
You will most likely find it nigh on impossible to find work before you get here.
Where can I initially stay after arriving at perth airport? hotels, motels etc. for single person . Can anyone give me idea?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Do you know that WA is the size of what used to be known as Western Europe? Perhaps you could give us a few more details, such as:
  • Do you intend to rent, then buy in the same area?
  • If so, what is your budget for (a) renting, (b) buying?
  • What sort of lifestyle do you want, near to beach, river, bush area, inner-city vibe, older housing or a new build?
  • What about transport?
  • Do you know where you will be working, or the area where you are likely to find work, eg CBD or FIFO?

We love talking about Perth suburbs and schools on here, there have been several threads on this subject.
We intend to rent for possibly 6 months depends on if we like the place we first find, then buy, we would like to be about a 20 min drive to the beach as I believe you can get more for your money the futher inland you go.?? not to bothered about the house itself with regards to old or new, I do like the finish on the new builds though, No Idea where I will be working as of yet, somewhere where its industrialised?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EvannTel
why do say that are you talking from experience???
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

why do say that are you talking from experience???
Well known fact that gets mentioned often on here. Employers usually want someone quickly, they look at resumes with offshore addresses and know that if they pick that person they could be in for a long wait.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well known fact that gets mentioned often on here. Employers usually want someone quickly, they look at resumes with offshore addresses and know that if they pick that person they could be in for a long wait.
Probably right there, I was hoping to have job ready so I didnt have to break into my savings whilst looking, might not have any choice, thanks for the input anyway!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

You could always come out on your own, stay at a backpackers, while you search for work. Much cheaper living costs for one, rather than temporary furnished accommodation for a family. Perhaps it will be possible for you to stay with your friends in Morley if you come on your own a couple of weeks/few weeks ahead of your family (single person as a house guest is perhaps more possible rather than a family of 4 as guests). Still worthwhile applying for jobs now, though, as you only have to give short notice in the UK, and could get here relatively quickly, either for an interview (if one couldn't be done via Skype or phone), or to actually start a job.

Last edited by HelenTD; Aug 18th 2011 at 3:19 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Cottesloe, Peppermint Grove, Claremont. Whether you can afford them is another thing
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HelenTD
You could always come out on your own, stay at a backpackers, while you search for work. Much cheaper living costs for one, rather than temporary furnished accommodation for a family. Perhaps it will be possible for you to stay with your friends in Morley if you come on your own a couple of weeks/few weeks ahead of your family (single person as a house guest is perhaps more possible rather than a family of 4 as guests). Still worthwhile applying for jobs now, though, as you only have to give short notice in the UK, and could get here relatively quickly, either for an interview (if one couldn't be done via Skype or phone), or to actually start a job.
Thanks again Helen, think you have me mixed up with someone else with regards to friends in morley, how far is the industrialised area from those links you sent me from the airport, is it a train away or a flight away, I am now considering coming over alone and sorting out jobs etc, just dont know where to start now with regards to accommodation??? I need your help once again Helen!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:16 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again Helen, think you have me mixed up with someone else with regards to friends in morley, how far is the industrialised area from those links you sent me from the airport, is it a train away or a flight away, I am now considering coming over alone and sorting out jobs etc, just dont know where to start now with regards to accommodation??? I need your help once again Helen!
Have a look at Google maps. You can search for everything you need.
To get you started.....
Kwinana is 30 mins south of Perth central. A lot of employees on that "strip" live in Rockingham.
Kemerton is about 1.5 hours south of Perth central. Its located 20kms north Bunbury. Most people live in Australind.
Collie is 45 minutes out of Bunbury, not many workers live there (although there is a town) and live in Bunbury and commute.
realestate.com.au lists rentals in suburbs you choose.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:21 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

i'm quite liking the margaret river, bussleton and bunbury area at the moment, i reckon thats the best of everything there, not too much of a rat race like the city but busy enought with plenty to do.... if you dont mind being in a town and abit of a drive from other towns i'd say esperance is an amazing place, lived there for a few months just recently, am currently in margaret river and have travelled most of wa south of exmouth, hmmmmm geraldton is pretty good as well btw
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:21 pm
Banned

RossCountyLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear that Rottnest Island is a great place to live, everyone has a whale of a time. Or is it the sharks ? Or is it the dolphins ?