Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Tasmania

Moving to Tasmania

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:08 am
Just Joined

coxsp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Tasmania

This thread is an extension of...Feel like an imposter. Apologies to those who have read both, but after some good advice, the new title is more appropriate.

I'm about to make the jump back to Australia. I've moved to London about 13 years ago from Adelaide/Darwin/Canberra/Mackay/Brisbane/Sydney. My family moved around a lot.

I will be moving my family to Geeveston from London. My wife is a Chiropodist and I am a crude oil trader. My wife shouldn't have a problem with work, but I'll probably need to re-tool to be of any use.

I have a few questions that I hope fellow members might be able to assist with:
- What were the biggest shocks when moving to Tassie? I've have visited so I understand it's isolated, but visiting is very different to living.
- Was there anything you regret not bringing? Some members have already mentioned bringing everything as anything is hard and costly to get in Tassie...from power tools to books. I guess this includes electrical appliances, cookware, linen?
- Any advice on recruitment agenices? I've yet to start this process, but guess that I should get a wiggle on.
- Any personal experiences moving from such a sprawling metropolis to the sprawling wilderness.

Appreciate all the comments so far. Very useful.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:12 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Tasmania

Wow, that's a big call, London to Geeveston! No specific advice for Tassie I'm afraid but just wanted to agree with what other have said re bringing everything - if you're shipping a container bring it all! Shop 'till you drop in Boots!! Toiletries (soaps, deodorants, aftershave, make-up, vitamins - all of it) books, bedding - all very expensive compared to UK prices. Buy a big pack of adaptors on ebay (I think we got 10 for about £4!!) and bring all of your small electrical goods (make sure you clean your Hoover well though!). I'd also be tempted to stock up on smart work-wear, you can get good stuff here but it's more costly.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice

Just moved from Oxford to Cygnet near Geeveston. PM me if you like. Geeveston is not isolated by Oz standards and you will enjoy it I am sure. A lot happens in the area- Franklin Festival this weekend, forestry protests, boat festivals etc. Hobart (1hour- no traffic no parking problems) has a good cultural life with the incomparable Tasmanian Symphony orchestra as well as the Theatre Royal and great restaurants and bars etc. You are on the edge of a beautiful wilderness area with great mountains walks tarn lakes etc.

Bring what you can including plenty of money or maintain the potential to bring it across from the UK or whenever when the pound improves or the AUD drops. UK/OzForex account needed to do this quickly and efficiently on line. Ensure your accommodation in Geeveston has broadband- you can use satellite or 3G but it is not as good. I believe there is a microwave link near Geeveston too for direct connection.

You will travel the Geeveston to Hobart road a lot (about 1 hour) so a decent economical car is essential as soon as you arrive (so shipping one is out).

Best local supermarkets are Kingston Woolworths or Kingston Coles (45 mins) though there are the basic supermarket in Geeveston and reasonable one in Huonville. You will need to find Bunnings and K & D in Hobart quickly things like 3 pin plugs. Geeveston or Huonville purchases will be 10-40% more than the bigger shops in Hobart. Bring half a dozen UK powerboards & fit with Oz plugs as an interim solution. Bring all you can down even to garden stuff (treat & mark that it was treated with dilute bleach & it will get past AQAS). Lots of fleeces and unless renting when you get here you will need a new bed as your stuff will take 6 weeks to come. Send your UK bed as a spare though- you will have many visitors from UK & the mainland next summer.

ANZ or Commonwealth or the local Bendigo Banks are the ones of choice as they have local branches.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:06 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I am now dying to visit Tasmania afetr watching http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/gourmetf...ge/i/1/h/Home/

Hope it gives you some inspiration!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

the economy is absolutely shot in tasmania - not sure how this impacts your jobs... however in saying that, because the economy is extremely limited, the biggest living expense being housing is drastically lower than the mainland.

good luck
Old May 20th 2011, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Bjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really nice

Originally Posted by phat-dave
the economy is absolutely shot in tasmania - not sure how this impacts your jobs... however in saying that, because the economy is extremely limited, the biggest living expense being housing is drastically lower than the mainland.

good luck
I am looking at moving to TAS as well, don't really see the remoteness as a downside, but slightly concerned about the ease of picking up quality food. Can't just pop to wait rose like in the uk.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bjarmitage
I am looking at moving to TAS as well, don't really see the remoteness as a downside, but slightly concerned about the ease of picking up quality food. Can't just pop to wait rose like in the uk.
You will be able to get some quality ingredients, though, and you can learn how to use them. If you want quality ready-made meals, don't move to Australia.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Bjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really niceBjarmitage is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
You will be able to get some quality ingredients, though, and you can learn how to use them. If you want quality ready-made meals, don't move to Australia.
Yeah thanks, I enjoy cooking and find so much better with high quality ingredients, something I really struggled with when strapped for cash as a student
Old May 20th 2011, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bjarmitage
Yeah thanks, I enjoy cooking and find so much better with high quality ingredients, something I really struggled with when strapped for cash as a student
It would be great to have the British supermarkets here, but that's something you can really enjoy on trips back (or at least, I do). Here in Perth there are not many options for ready-made meals and they are often nasty and/or expensive. Lots of people end up cooking things they never had to before, such as Indian curries, simply because it can be hard to find good Indian food here in restaurants. I resent paying $15 for dahl in a restaurant when it costs a tiny amount to make. Some people also get into fruit & veg growing. It's a very different lifestyle.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:00 am
Just Joined

The quality of food is one thing that I'm greatly looking forward to as part of the move to Tasmania. The temperate climate should be great for growing a huge variety of produce and if you find a place with a reasonable amount of land, then owning chickens and possibly sheep/pigs can be real possibility.

While I'm likely to be underestimating the time required to maintain a fully productive small holding, I believe it is still probable even if it takes a little while to establish.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

A couple of links for you:
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...EN-4VH8AN?open
From the page above: http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...UN-5L36UY?open
For hobby farmers and smallholders http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...AS-73U766?open

I saw a few episodes of this TV show, Gourmet Farmer http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/gourmetf...e/i/1/h/About/ - might be interesting for you to watch if you can get hold of it - SBS probably sell DVDs if you can't find it online somewhere. Series 2 on its way this year.

Tasman food and wine http://www.discovertasmania.com/acti...ood__and__wine
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Tassiebird,

Thanks for the offer.

We are now 3 weeks away from leaving London so things are getting a little frantic.

We're moving to Geeveston and I was there a few weeks ago scoping the place out and finalising the house and school. Inspite of the recent economic hardship and government issues, I think Tasmania has huge appeal. Once the greens get out of power, govt policy will probably return to more sensible decisions that will help the state grow and develop.

Trying to get some wheels organised in Hobart is proving to be a challenge. I'm looking to try and pick up a 4WD (Subaru preferably) as soon as I touchdown as the drive a car is an essential. Any tips here would be helpful.

At the moment, I don't really have any specific questions, but any advice you'd like to share about your experiences would be useful.

Thanks again
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

The Bus goes from Geeveston to Hobart and it's quite a peaceful commute!

The IGA in Huonville has lovely organic and natural foods, D's cafe in Huonville is great as is the Grand Hotel - Huonville for a meal, Also the Lady Franklin and the Kermandie Pub have great meals.

The Red Velvet Lounge in Cygnet is run by friends of ours and the owner was 'Country Style Chef of the Year" last year (Steve Cumper)

Franklin Primary School is fantastic if you settle in that area.

Anyone looking for a house? We had to leave our beautiful property to come back to the mainland

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...+bay-107145373

Has tenants in there for another 3-4 months