Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wheres best to live in Australia?

wheres best to live in Australia?

Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

Originally Posted by ChocCake
was that a typo? which city does ANY shops open past 5 in the UK???
LOL
Shops are open past 5pm in most UK cities actually
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Coast - esp Surfers area - beaches are tourist traps, and magnets for teenagers, school leaving party-goers, and the like.
Brisbane is growing too fast for its infrastructure and is becoming more souless by the day.
Melbourne reminds me of Brighton (Sussex) in that it is rather like a sedate old lady, a bit seedy at the edges but still interesting.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:02 pm
G'day!

FlyingAussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Inteesting comparisons there Polly...

I was in Brisbane and Gold Coast in Nov 2005 and loved the place, but I can see where you are coming from with regards to it's growth rate and infrastructures available, it will be interesting to see how govt will react.

Regards,
JP

PS - Busy streets of Brisbane:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...citycenter.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Picture033.jpg

Last edited by FlyingAussie; Jul 15th 2008 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
Hi,
We have just been granted visas for permanent residency in Australia but we are really undecided on wheres best for us to move to.
We are a family of 9 so there is alot of us to please. We have 7 children, they are aged 20, 19, 17, 16, 9, 9 and 3.
As a family we are all wanting better weather, (sun), to live not far from a beach but also not far from amenities i.e. shopping centres, anything really to keep teenagers occupied.
Which city would you reccommend for us sydney, melbourne, brisbane or adalaide etc? It has to suit all our needs so that means been appealing to teenagers, adults and young children.
If anyone has any opinions on where they think we would fit in best it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jemma
hello jemma....

congratulations on your visa approval. your family must be very excited.

as you have a large family with a variety of ages...i do believe you have a multitude of areas that would suit you. As some have already said it is a personal choice. and people can only speak from their own experiences.

it also depends on what type of employment and education requirements you all have. your assets and your lifestyle.

i was raised north of Sydney and later moved to the northen nsw coast. lots of beautiful beaches all up the coast. and lots of lovely places to live.

Sydney has great beaches. lots to do and good employment and education opportunties.

you can check out this gallery

http://www.davidbailey.com.au/single...otoid=SB%20107

also you have the advantage of being close to the blue mountains, central coast areas.

of all the places i lived i loved!! the north coast. however it is expensive to live there, but i love the hippy culture.

when i return to australia ..it will be with a family. we are looking at the central coast of NSW to begin and then maybe Cronulla. beautiful beach and great little life culture there. lots of employment opportunites for my husband and myself and we want to be on the coast so our son can learn to surf and experience that before he gets much older.

and Sydney Harbour is fantastic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...om_the_air.JPG

always something to do . take a ferry ride for the heck of it. go to the zoo. buy your own boat and enjoy it! ~~~~~~~~etc etc~~~

good luck with your decision and whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Jul 15th 2008 at 9:02 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:57 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
rather like a sedate old lady, a bit seedy at the edges
But enough about you......

Buzzy
Old Jul 15th 2008, 10:09 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

was that a typo? which city does ANY shops open past 5 in the UK???
LOL
The 7/11
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Shops are open past 5pm in most UK cities actually
hmmmmm....... maybe 1 day a week!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

so what do you all reckon is the best time of the year to visit all the different places then... to see where we would like to stay.. our current choice is Perth.. but i'm undecided until i see for myself.. so would also visit melbourne, sydney & brisbane....

have family of 4, kids are 3 & 5.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

so what do you all reckon is the best time of the year to visit all the different places then... to see where we would like to stay.. our current choice is Perth.. but i'm undecided until i see for myself.. so would also visit melbourne, sydney & brisbane....

have family of 4, kids are 3 & 5.
I like November and March for Perth. Warm but not too hot.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

November and March are great months to visit Sydney also.

All the jacarandas are out in November which is my favourite month. Blue skies and sunny days but not steaming hot.

March is lovely too. It has a mellow feel. Can still be quite warm but cools down nicely in the evenings.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:04 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

I think that anywhere near a city in Australia will give you what you want for your kids, in terms of facilities and things to do and even beaches (perhaps with the exception of Canberra!)
But as you have already said, Perth doesn't 'feel' right to you... therefore it's really about finding somewhere that fits in with your personal 'vibes', and that's completely individual.

I think someone mentioned being able to find work as being important. With all those teens about to hit the labour market, I think that has to be your main priority. After all we'd be living on the Sunshine coast if we didn't need to earn a decent crust! Beautiful beaches fantastic atmosphere, great restaurants, fab views, but..... no decent paying jobs for our line of work!!

I love the place but I simply couldn't afford to live there in the manner to which I've become accustomed ifkwim....
So you really have to weigh up what each place has to offer and balance that with the job market, and your personal need to earn a living.

Not very helpful I know, but making a recommendation about where to live is very difficult esp when you don't know much about them.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Another person who has really never been to Melbourne.

You certainly don't have to drive as far from Melbourne to get a decent beach as you do from most other Australian cities.

Brighton Beach is lovely and is 10 minutes drive from the CBD. But then I guess you never went there.....

We live 30 mins drive from the CBD. In between us and the CBD are the following stunning beaches - Mordialloc, Parkdale, Mentone, Black Rock, Sandringham, Hampton, Brighton, Elwood.

We swim in the sea several months of the year and the water is very clear, you can always see the bottom clearly from the ends of the piers etc.

To the OP - if you want to know about Melbourne, ask someone who lives there, rather than someone who spent 1 weekend there years ago.

Buzzy
Here Here!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Really confused by this whole 'Perth has nothing to do/no entertainment' thing.

What do the other Australian cities offer then that is so varied and wonderful that Perth doesn't offer. Just curious.

Last edited by The_Wookie; Jul 16th 2008 at 11:53 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
What do the other Australian cities offer then that is so varied and wonderful that Perth doesn't offer. Just curious.
Life!

Mikey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Well come on explain what you mean.

It's a serious question. What does Perth lack that the others have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.