Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wheres best to live in Australia?

wheres best to live in Australia?

Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all
Default wheres best to live in Australia?

Hi,
We have just been granted visas for permanent residency in Australia but we are really undecided on wheres best for us to move to.
We are a family of 9 so there is alot of us to please. We have 7 children, they are aged 20, 19, 17, 16, 9, 9 and 3.
As a family we are all wanting better weather, (sun), to live not far from a beach but also not far from amenities i.e. shopping centres, anything really to keep teenagers occupied.
Which city would you reccommend for us sydney, melbourne, brisbane or adalaide etc? It has to suit all our needs so that means been appealing to teenagers, adults and young children.
If anyone has any opinions on where they think we would fit in best it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jemma
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

It sounds like Brisbane or the Gold Coast might suit you.

Definitely Queensland

Mikey
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all1jemma1 is a name known to all

what makes you think queensland would suit us best? what does it have to offer that the other cities do not?

jemma
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:48 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1jemma1
Hi,
We have just been granted visas for permanent residency in Australia but we are really undecided on wheres best for us to move to.
We are a family of 9 so there is alot of us to please. We have 7 children, they are aged 20, 19, 17, 16, 9, 9 and 3.
As a family we are all wanting better weather, (sun), to live not far from a beach but also not far from amenities i.e. shopping centres, anything really to keep teenagers occupied.
Which city would you reccommend for us sydney, melbourne, brisbane or adalaide etc? It has to suit all our needs so that means been appealing to teenagers, adults and young children.
If anyone has any opinions on where they think we would fit in best it would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jemma
I'd start where your employment prospects are best and go from there...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

what makes you think queensland would suit us best? what does it have to offer that the other cities do not?

jemma
Hi Jemma,
To be honest, anywhere will suit you and your family, Perth is lovely too, as is Hobart.
All have the things you desire to keep your family happy and occupied.
Good luck with wherever you decide, you will not regret it.
Dennis
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

How would Melbourne suit our family bearing in mind everyones ages? Do you think it would have something for everyone? We've heard Melbourne is great if you like city life - festivals etc, but that its not a very clean city. Is this true? Also are there any suburbs just outside Melbourne close to the beach which would be suitable for us, since ideally we would love to live close to the beach. We've heard of St Kilda, does anyone know anything about this place?

Looking at Brisbane i think the Goldcoast would suit us best if we were to move here since it seems to be able to offer the beach life style but also has the shops etc for teenagers. Does anyone have any opinions on this place, is it ideal for families and teenagers to live in?

Also we've already been to Perth and feel its not the place for us - too quiet. All the shops shut at 5pm. Is this the case for the rest of Australia or are they like the UK where shops and shopping cnts etc are open till late?

If anyone can help answer these questions or give me more of an insight to Australia i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jemma
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

How would Melbourne suit our family bearing in mind everyones ages? Do you think it would have something for everyone? We've heard Melbourne is great if you like city life - festivals etc, but that its not a very clean city. Is this true? Also are there any suburbs just outside Melbourne close to the beach which would be suitable for us, since ideally we would love to live close to the beach. We've heard of St Kilda, does anyone know anything about this place?

Looking at Brisbane i think the Goldcoast would suit us best if we were to move here since it seems to be able to offer the beach life style but also has the shops etc for teenagers. Does anyone have any opinions on this place, is it ideal for families and teenagers to live in?

Also we've already been to Perth and feel its not the place for us - too quiet. All the shops shut at 5pm. Is this the case for the rest of Australia or are they like the UK where shops and shopping cnts etc are open till late?

If anyone can help answer these questions or give me more of an insight to Australia i would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jemma
Defintely not Brisbane if you want beaches - it's a long way to a decent beach from almost everywhere.

We live in Melbourne, it is one of the cleanest cities I have ever seen so not sure what you mean by your last statement.

We live 30 mins drive from the CBD and 15 mins walk from a stunning beach, if you want a big city with great beaches, Melbourne should be considered.

St Kilda is an inner-city suburb, I would recommend it for younger people without children.

Buzzy
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Also, what size of house are you looking at and what's your budget. That will govern how far you will be out of Melbourne city. Not a problem if your work will be elsewhere. You can still get reasonably priced property around one hour out of the city near the beach. However, for all I know you may be millionaires!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Thanks

Jemma
was that a typo? which city does ANY shops open past 5 in the UK???
LOL
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Jemma
I find it hard to accept how you've applied for a visa to somewhere you know nothing about? Seems a tad odd.
Where to live is a very personal thing, like Perth some love it some hate it. We're off to Melbourne, but in an ideal world would live at top end of NSW, but not much in the way of employment choices there! But beaches wtc are stunning.
Think you need to do very belated research on potential areas and decide what is best for you and your family.
Final point will you be ok with no family to support with a large family?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

The reason I say Queensland, specifically the Gold Coast is because:
You want sun and heat – which you will get most year round, even in the wet season it’s very very warm.

You want Beaches – you have the best beaches in Queensland (tropical north) but the Gold Coast beaches are nice too.

You want things for your kids to do – Gold Coast and Queensland are the holiday capitals for Australians, there is something for everyone.

Work – You can easily commute from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, so have more offers with both cities.

Other cities are good, but by the sounds of it you’d be better in Queensland.

Sydney – an amazing city and great, but beaches not as nice as Queensland also we do have a winter here and it does get cold and windy.

Melbourne – It’s a gray city, personally I found it filthy, weather is not the best, and you have to drive a long while out to get a decent beach, and even then it’s just like swimming in the ocean back home and no matter what anyone says, I wouldnt call "St Kilda" a beach, it's a pile of sand riddled with Syringes.

Perth – Boring, you said you wanted entertainment, you won’t get it there, shops all close at 5pm and it's illegal for most shops to open on a Sunday. You’re also too far away from the rest of Australia.

Adelaide – Nice place, you’ll fit in well if you’re a serial killer or church freak, but it’s a tad on the quiet side.

Canberra – Most people call it boring (I actually like the place for some odd reason) but you would be too far from a beach.

Darwin – actually really nice, great weather, but you can’t swim at the beaches (crocs)

Hobart – Cold.

(they are MY opinions)

As they say, Where else but Queensland?

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jul 15th 2008 at 3:40 am.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Melbourne – It’s a gray city, personally I found it filthy, weather is not the best, and you have to drive a long while out to get a decent beach, and even then it’s just like swimming in the ocean back home and no matter what anyone says, I wouldnt call "St Kilda" a beach, it's a pile of sand riddled with Syringes.
Another person who has really never been to Melbourne.

You certainly don't have to drive as far from Melbourne to get a decent beach as you do from most other Australian cities.

Brighton Beach is lovely and is 10 minutes drive from the CBD. But then I guess you never went there.....

We live 30 mins drive from the CBD. In between us and the CBD are the following stunning beaches - Mordialloc, Parkdale, Mentone, Black Rock, Sandringham, Hampton, Brighton, Elwood.

We swim in the sea several months of the year and the water is very clear, you can always see the bottom clearly from the ends of the piers etc.

To the OP - if you want to know about Melbourne, ask someone who lives there, rather than someone who spent 1 weekend there years ago.

Buzzy
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

None of us can answer that question for you, we all like and prefer different things.
I haven't been all over OZ, but have visited Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney. We live in Perth and we are leaving as there isn't much to do. You are a family of 9 so i would def head over East somewhere. Good luck.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

ANYWHERE!! Australia is fantastic!
We wake up every morning and think how damn lucky we are to be living in such a fantastic country!
Good Luck and hope you enjoy wherever you end up as much as we do.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

To the OP - if you want to know about Melbourne, ask someone who lives there, rather than someone who spent 1 weekend there years ago.

Buzzy
Oh god, another person who cannot handle the fact that someone else actually has a different opinion of the city they live in. Build bridge and get over it!

Read my post again, slowly if you have to, it says MY opinion, and MY opinion is that I found it filthy, I found the beaches filthy, and I found the water looked like it does back in Ireland. We don't all have to agree with you!

As for me going there 1 weekend years ago? I’d love to know how you know my travels? I’ve been there a few times, most recent was last month. Nice city, but I wouldn’t want to live there - and least be honest, Melbourne doesnt exactally have "beach weather" for most of the year!

Mikey

Last edited by Mikeyc; Jul 15th 2008 at 4:22 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.