Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wheres best to live in Australia?

wheres best to live in Australia?

Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Brighton Beach is lovely and is 10 minutes drive from the CBD. But then I guess you never went there.....
PS

Oh, and as for your Brighton Beach you rave about (see here - http://www.terraxtreme.de/australia/...hton_beach.jpg )
It’s not my cup of tea, I wouldn’t even call that a “beach”.

Now, here is a Gold Coast beach - http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1391...Gold_Coast.gif

I know where I’d rather swim.

Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
PS

Oh, and as for your Brighton Beach you rave about (see here - http://www.terraxtreme.de/australia/...hton_beach.jpg )

Now, here is a Gold Coast beach - http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1391...Gold_Coast.gif

Mikey
Love your signature Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Oh god, another person who cannot handle the fact that someone else actually has a different opinion of the city they live in. Build bridge and get over it!

Read my post again, slowly if you have to, it says MY opinion, and MY opinion is that I found it filthy, I found the beaches filthy, and I found the water looked like it does back in Ireland. We don't all have to agree with you!

As for me going there 1 weekend years ago? I’d love to know how you know my travels? I’ve been there a few times, most recent was last month. Nice city, but I wouldn’t want to live there - and least be honest, Melbourne doesnt exactally have "beach weather" for most of the year!

Mikey
To OP - as Buzzy says - listen to people who actually LIVE there
Melbourne is superb
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:10 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

PS

Not trying to wind you up honest... but that is the perfect example of why I prefer Perth. Call me someone stuck in the dark ages or whatever you want but all those massive buildings lined up down the beach is my idea of hell.

Imagine the the over crowding when the photographer hasn't organised to get everyone off the beach for that nice brochure shot

As for original question all I can offer is that Brisbane or Sydney would likely be your best option. Whatever you do for a living though would be my highest priority when deciding on a location.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Whatever you do for a living though would be my highest priority when deciding on a location.
Correct.

Because everything else is just a pipedream without an income. That's why we originally chose Melbourne, we didn't really know about the stunning beaches and countryside when we first chose Melbourne.

We are so glad we didn't listen to all the rubbish spouted by people who had spent the occasional weekend in Melbourne, about how it was cold and grey and like Manchester! It was all just stereotypical bullshit!

I absolutely love it here!

Buzzy
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Not trying to wind you up honest... but that is the perfect example of why I prefer Perth. Call me someone stuck in the dark ages or whatever you want but all those massive buildings lined up down the beach is my idea of hell.
Queensland has nice non-built up beaches - http://www.queensland-australia.com/...aven-beach.jpg . I just showing the Gold Coast as that has a beach and other things to do, right on the door step.

As much as I hate Perth (with a passion) the beaches are still nice over there, lovely infact – definitely nicer than Melbourne, I used to go to Scarborough and Yanchep Lagoon. Perth also has the beach weather; the reason why Brisbane/Gold coast would be better for the OP is because they requested that the city have entertainment, which Perth doesn’t

Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine the the over crowding when the photographer hasn't organised to get everyone off the beach for that nice brochure shot
For all its crassness, once thing Gold Coast beaches never are is crowded.

What is scary though it why lies behind that awesome coastal strip. I stayed down at Broadbeach for the night 2 weekends ago and had to go down to pick up someone from GC airport on the Friday night. Driving down the Gold Coast highway to Coolangatta was a thoroughly miserable experience. Beat up old buildings, hookers thumbing a lift and packs of hoodies milling around in the dark just like the UK! It was grim!!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:31 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Now that's a stunning beach
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:16 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: wheres best to live in Australia?

As much as I hate Perth (with a passion) the beaches are still nice over there, lovely infact – definitely nicer than Melbourne,
Seems to be a few places in Australia you don't like, maybe that's why you are headed back to Europe for good.....

Buzzy
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Seems to be a few places in Australia you don't like, maybe that's why you are headed back to Europe for good.....

Buzzy
No, just Perth. I never said I did'nt like Melbourne, just said I would'nt live there. You really need to get over this.

Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Out of interest, why are you heading back to Europe MikeyC?
Old Jul 15th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Out of interest, why are you heading back to Europe MikeyC?
Miss it. Simple as that.

It’s home for me and Australian aint. I’ve lived in Australia on and off since I was 11 – hopped back and forth about 9 times. lol. Home is where the heart is, it’s time to call Europe home.

Lets not go off topic, eh.

Mikey
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne – It’s a gray city, personally I found it filthy, weather is not the best, and you have to drive a long while out to get a decent beach, and even then it’s just like swimming in the ocean back home and no matter what anyone says, I wouldnt call "St Kilda" a beach, it's a pile of sand riddled with Syringes.

Mikey
Can't say that Melbourne is literally dirtier than other cities. It might seem ''dirty'' if the weather was gray, or if you visited some suburbs which are more cluttered and grainy than others like Footscray etc but then the beauty of Malvern, Hawthorn is the opposite. The harsh Australian sun does seem to clean things, I can tell you. I found the UK looked alot dirtier than Melbourne, and Melbourne seemed very clean when we got back. My first day in Melbourne was on a 40 degree Nov day and it sparkled....the next week it rained and then it did go down in my opinion as a *visitor*. The biggest mistake you can make with Melbourne is not to see life in Melbourne as a resident. I've been there done that too.

St Kilda in my opinion is Australia's most overrated beach so I kind of agree on that one. It is more of a area on the bay targetted at young professionals and a particular demographic and scene than a beach.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

PS

Mikey
It really is about opinion then, because that GC beach looks like a crass Vegas Next To Sea. Brighton looks like a beach in the south of France or Med.
Where locals go to dip.

FWIW, I prefer remote Tropical beaches like those found much further N of SE Qld and not necessarily in Australia(!) like Mexico or the Caribbean.

cheers
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
FWIW, I prefer remote Tropical beaches like those found much further N of SE Qld and not necessarily in Australia(!) like Mexico or the Caribbean.

cheers
Don’t we all.... Unfortunately remote tropical beaches don’t usually come with jobs close by. lol

Mikey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.