Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in the World?

Where in the World?

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Travel4life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in the World?

I've just joined this forum and I couldn't find a general work related section so I'm posting in here to attract more readers.

As a UK based Chartered Civil Engineer with 10 years experience under my belt, I think I've reached that point where I can consider applying for and be realistically considered for some of these roles I've always dreamt of since I graduated from uni.

I feel like I've missed the boat on more than one occasion as a Civil Engineer, to not only earn some good money, but moreso live and experience life somewhere, namely the Dubai boom, the Australia Mining boom, and now the Qatar boom which seems to be receding following the oil price cutback. All this as opposed to rainy Britain.

Up to now, I can confidently say that I've been heavily underpaid / shafted during my career, because I've worked in the UK during economic downturns, and have been through 4/5 payfreezes and a pay drop since graduating. Meanwhile on the other side of the world, there was a time when Dubai was taking any engineer with less than 2 yrs exp with the £50k tax free salary + all benefits covered.

Now it seems, the UK market is picking up and will be booming due to HS2 Crossrail 2, whilst other parts of the world are struggling due to their economies, but still the UK salaries cant compare with tax free Middle East incomes. But it comes at a time when I've done my UK "graft" and ready to just get out of here and work abroad, but it's now bad timing! Or is it?

I suppose what I'm wanting to ask from those who are well acquainted with global markets and economies, where in the world is the economy thriving for Engineers? Where should I be keeping an eye out now and in the near future for opportunities where my chances are higher due to the number of opportunities?

I cant see the oil price rising for a year or two at least (I've just left the oil and gas industry myself by the way), but not all countries' economies are so dependent on the oil price.

Anyway, just some thoughts to get across, and where to go with my career as I feel I've built a fairly strong foundation to now start opening my wings and fly, but where to?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in the World?

No disrespect intended, but it sounds as though you've been dithering excessively for all of the past ten years. My advice is, don't wait till the time is right - just go! You've left it a bit too late already. The ideal age to "just go" is early twenties, so you'd better get moving without any further dithering. It doesn't matter where, either.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 1:13 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
No disrespect intended, but it sounds as though you've been dithering excessively for all of the past ten years. My advice is, don't wait till the time is right - just go! You've left it a bit too late already. The ideal age to "just go" is early twenties, so you'd better get moving without any further dithering. It doesn't matter where, either.
Seriously? In your early twenties? I'm in my mid 50's and having a serious think about just going.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of infrastructure going on in New South Wales. Go nuts.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Never too late to jack it in and hit the road. Go for the experience if nothing else. Not sure if UK isn't a better place to be at the moment if money is the goal. It may prove a shame if you miss this round of a UK boom after missing the Oz and Middle East ones.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 11:37 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You can probably deduce where the next boom is by looking at international recruitment sites and salaries. They reflect demand. If UK salaries compare favourably, you'll have to make a decision between maximising earnings and maximising adventure.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response. It may be a valid point if it were true, and I think it's probably partially true, only because I was very determined to get a job abroad in my first 5-6 years esp, but didnt have the experience and I was never given an opportunity. Last 3-4 years I've lost that motivation, but I'm resurrecting it once again.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Lots of infrastructure going on in New South Wales. Go nuts.
heard recently there was billions of dollars of infrastructure going on there
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Seriously? In your early twenties? I'm in my mid 50's and having a serious think about just going.
I had just qualified as an accountant at the age of 23. There were and still are plenty of jobs for accountants all around the world, if you're flexible. I took jobs in London and Toronto with references from my Australian employers, then switched careers and found jobs on my own as a Trust Officer in Nassau, Vila and Cayman, where I (we) have stayed. Maybe things were easier back then than they are now - although I still see plenty of twenty-year-olds flitting around from place to place. Maybe it's different for engineers; but in any profession I think it's a mistake to limit one's options to places where there's a boom on, especially if you're below the age of thirty. That's why I wondered if the OP hadn't perhaps left it too late to leave the comfort of home. First-time expats around forty... meh... not so attractive to employers.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Well, I'm 31 and have worked on a few projects in the Middle East from the UK offices. I have worked in Saudi for around a month for business trips but that's about it. Some of it may work in my favour.

I totally agree that when you're in your early/mid 20s, you should just take that plunge and take every opportunity if it's good, and don't let things convince you otherwise. Or join a large company that works in various countries around the world and find a placement abroad through there.

That's my next move in the UK and I'm hoping it opens some doors for me.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Travel4life
Thanks for your response. It may be a valid point if it were true, and I think it's probably partially true, only because I was very determined to get a job abroad in my first 5-6 years esp, but didnt have the experience and I was never given an opportunity. Last 3-4 years I've lost that motivation, but I'm resurrecting it once again.
Well, you always need to have some luck. And, you need to work on getting that luck! As the old joke has it, you have to buy a ticket! My son and I have for thirty years pretended to believe in Loki the Old Norse god of luck and caprice. Loki is always ready to help, but he doesn't like having to do all the work. For professional jobs overseas, it helps if you register with an employment agency that handles overseas jobs. You probably know that already, having taken some overseas postings, but I mention it anyway. That's how I got my job in Cayman, in my late 30s and living in Bath in temporary retirement. (It's a long story, not to be told here.) Loki came up trumps for me, so he must have reckoned I'd done enough to warrant a tad of divine intervention.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 12:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

First-time expats around forty... meh... not so attractive to employers.
Sometimes you are so out of touch it's unreal.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sometimes you are so out of touch it's unreal.
Unnecessarily discourteous, Dorothy. That may not be your natural self, of course; you may be just having a bad day. But don't take it out on me. You can have no idea whether I'm out of touch or not. Back off, lady.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Travel4life
Well, I'm 31 and have worked on a few projects in the Middle East from the UK offices. I have worked in Saudi for around a month for business trips but that's about it. Some of it may work in my favour.

I totally agree that when you're in your early/mid 20s, you should just take that plunge and take every opportunity if it's good, and don't let things convince you otherwise. Or join a large company that works in various countries around the world and find a placement abroad through there.

That's my next move in the UK and I'm hoping it opens some doors for me.
We took a guy on a 457 a few years back in his early 50's because we couldn't find anyone in Oz with his skills.

To be fair, could have done with someone younger but he's a lot of fun, more energy then most 30 year olds.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 5:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
We took a guy on a 457 a few years back in his early 50's because we couldn't find anyone in Oz with his skills.

To be fair, could have done with someone younger but he's a lot of fun, more energy then most 30 year olds.
What you're saying is, we prefer to age discriminate. Illegal in the UK, hopefully Oz will catch up soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.