Reload this Page >

Where to start?!

Where to start?!

Old Aug 24th 2003, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start?!

Hi there

Some of you may know that we leave for NZ in two weeks. All sold up and just dealing with the odds and sods. Me on a WHV and partner on visitor visa. Our intention is to get work and apply for work visa when there.
Have some interviews lined up and have had my qualification assessed in advance.

Was excellent news - been awarded 10 points for immigration for my Dental Nurse qualification even though not officially on shortage list. This now means we have the points for immigration! Have been in touch with an immigration company in NZ who have been real helpful but would now have to pay $4000 for further assistance. They have advised that as soon as have job offer over there get the application going because of the changes.

Wasn't really expecting to get such good news from NZQA so havent looked into the immigration process especially with all the new changes!

So can anyone kind of point us in the right direction?! Is it easy to do on your own or should we use a company to help us?
Thanks all!
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to start?!

Originally posted by millertime
So can anyone kind of point us in the right direction?! Is it easy to do on your own or should we use a company to help us?
Thanks all!
You really don't need an agent, it is purely a case of filling out the application forms. You can have your medicals done over there & send off for your police checks when ready.

Just read through the forms a few times, & the guide to residency off the NZIS site. If you get stuck on anything NZIS will help. I personally think that an agent is only necessary if your english is not up to scratch....and yours seems Ok.

Gra..
Old Aug 24th 2003, 4:53 pm
NZ In Jan (Please!)

sandypandy is an unknown quantity at this point

We decided to use an agent because we wanted to make sure we got everything right first time. However all they have done (apart from asking for £2000) is

a) tell us to get employment references from every company hubby has worked for to prove he has not been inside etc.

b) tell us to get 4 photos each for medicals and application forms

c) Ask us for £175 to certify all original documents - we went to local solicitor and they charged us £20

e) ask us lots of questions so they could fill in the application form.

With hindsight we could have done it ourselves-all the info you need you can find here. If you have any questions just PM me

Sandra
Old Aug 25th 2003, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to start?!

Hi Jo!

Don't waste your money. If you need any help filling the forms in when you're in NZ give me a call. My fees are a cup of coffee & an Anzac biscuit!!

Nicola.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done it myself, and most people I know have, I think as long as you have the points required it is fairly straight forward especially that you have had your qualifications assessed - good luck and I hope all goes well!