Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should we live?

Where should we live?

Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice
Default Where should we live?

Merry xmas everyone.

Hopefully this will be our last xmas in the UK, so im trying to work out which parts of Oz we should set our sights on.

Job wise I am in the medical world so my job is pretty much the same everywhere, and salary wise too.

We prefer the beach lifestyle, into scuba and water sports.

Im a biker so having easy access to good roads and interesting places to visit is a must.

We are in our thirties so like a bit of nightlife now and again, as well as good eating, cinema etc.

I do like the rural life but OH hates the bugs that come with it.

We arent really big city people but access to good shopping and entertainment would be nice.

I have always fancied Perth.... but We would really appreciate everyones thoughts on other places which would be suitable.

Cheers
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:16 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we live?

Originally Posted by Pozz
Merry xmas everyone.

Hopefully this will be our last xmas in the UK, so im trying to work out which parts of Oz we should set our sights on.

Job wise I am in the medical world so my job is pretty much the same everywhere, and salary wise too.

Im a biker so having easy access to good roads and interesting places to visit is a must.

We are in our thirties so like a bit of nightlife now and again, as well as good eating, cinema etc.

We arent really big city people but access to good shopping and entertainment would be nice.

I have always fancied Perth.... but We would really appreciate everyones thoughts on other places which would be suitable.

Cheers
How about somewhere down the Mornington Peninsular in Vic.

Not quite warm enough for 12 months a year scuba, but excellent beaches for surfing, kite surfing, some great roads for riding in all directions.

I know there are quite a few poms down the peninsular, with a number in the medical profession, so works not a worry (not that it would be anywhere else either)

Queensland/Surfers would probably be another option, but have no idea about where.

Have fun in your search.

Old Dec 27th 2009, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

LOL bugs are endemic to Australia no matter where you live so no escaping them!

Go where you can both get a job IMHO. The last thing you want is for you to be slaving away over a hot thermometer and the OH failing to find a job but enjoying the water sports day in, day out! The Eastern seaboard will offer you more variety and alternatives.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

South East Australia somewhere, got everything you mention.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 10:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Merry xmas everyone.

Cheers
diving its the best ( i`m a padi divemaster )
http://www.divingthegoldcoast.com.au...geID=divesites

jobs -
http://www.seek.com.au/

local info
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/
http://www.verygoldcoast.com.au/

have fun

regards steve
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

For me it would have to be Coffs Harbour, especially if you can easily secure work there.
Cal x
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Merry xmas everyone.

Cheers
Adelaide, has it all
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Merry xmas everyone.

Cheers
Stick with Perth - it has everything you need.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 8:29 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by calNgary
For me it would have to be Coffs Harbour, especially if you can easily secure work there.
Cal x
I agree - Coffs would seem to tick a lot of your boxes! There are more than 30 beaches with an easy drive of town. Lots of interesting places to visit on your bike too. Many places to eat (confess many I have yet to try but they get good reviews) and a cinema. Night life is NOT wild or big city in any way at all but there is a night life, you just have to adjust if you'e used to a bigger place! Population is about 70,000 but it still has the feel of a small town imo. You can be only 10 minutes out and have good shops within easy reach but still feel like you're in the country. Altho remember it depends what you're used to - we're used to a big rough city, so this is country for us, whereas the local paper has letters from locals bemoaning the traffic and lack of green spaces which I find bizarre. Things seem to move slower here too, but again, it's all relative I guess! There's certainly loads to do if you're into stuff like scuba, surfing, seakayaking, whitewater rafting etc. We've spent quite a bit of time here before between us, and couldn't wait to come back. Been here 5 weeks now and we hope for good now, early days but loving it more every day. We're in our 30s too fyi.

Oh and if you want a good dive shop here let me know, I have info - diving in the marine park here is great!

Last edited by PamE; Jan 3rd 2010 at 8:33 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

Thank you. Since I posted ive been looking at Coffs Harbour and its definately on my list.

I may well be in touch about the diving!

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Adelaide, has it all
I agree!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Sirbla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aussie30
I agree!
Couldnt agree more. Great beaches good community feeling, great weather, great festivals, close to everything, beautiful buildings, cheap housing, lots of bars (and churches). couldnt go wrong!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sirbla
Couldnt agree more. Great beaches good community feeling, great weather, great festivals, close to everything, beautiful buildings, cheap housing, lots of bars (and churches). couldnt go wrong!
Exactly! All very true!