Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Mar 13th 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by fraser

FWIW I never wear a coat here.
Don't be foolish young man
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

BarcaFan has a brilliant futureBarcaFan has a brilliant futureBarcaFan has a brilliant futureBarcaFan has a brilliant futureBarcaFan has a brilliant futureBarcaFan has a brilliant future

Hi all

We were thinking Melbourne but then shifted towards Brisbane when we drew up our Pro/Con list of what we were looking for "from" our big move

Laid back, easy going, less stress, that kind of thing - That's why we opted for Brisbane, but stay loose and if you rent when you get here there's no reason why you can't sample both.

Good luck

Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

ozfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

we're just atarting the emigration process, and decided to opt for melbourne~ never been though~ do you think a reccie is necessary? or should we just go for it!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by ozfish
we're just atarting the emigration process, and decided to opt for melbourne~ never been though~ do you think a reccie is necessary? or should we just go for it!
I would go for a reccie if you can afford it - but on your reccie, don't do holiday things except at weekends. During the week, look at areas you might want to live in, view a few open and display homes that are well within your budget, practice what might be your commute at the time you would be doing it, meet up with a few employment agents or potential employers, meet up with a few people from this site who have already done the move.

This research will pay off over and over when you move - we did all of these during our reccie and we now have a fantastic life here in Melbourne. However this is primarily due to the weather which is the best in the world. actually it's pretty bloody good weather here, but you won't find that out until you move here.....

Buzzy
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

we went last year and spent time in both. brisbane is the one for me i loved the river setting, the city cat, the south bank area, the shops and the rural areas near by. we didnt go to any beaches. i had the best veg lasagne at breakfast creek hotel too! i loved melbourne but i found it a bit too busy, a bit more pollution and too cold!! we were there last march it rained every day and was cold, we didnt have enough jumpers of thick pjs! and of course you have the trams to contend with on the roads which made driving very scary. i didnt have the best hot choc at a bar in federation sqaure. they both have good and bad points i just dont think you can compare until you see them both. we spend three days in each
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:47 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Don't be foolish young man
He meant a "work" coat
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
He meant a "work" coat
Has your missus got a work coat? Or is there a difference between her staying at home to look after the kids and me doing it?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:07 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Has your missus got a work coat? Or is there a difference between her staying at home to look after the kids and me doing it?
Yes

Yes

How long from your arrival until your wife started work did you have to fall back on that comment? Please dont embarrass your self on trying to defend being work shy.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:17 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Yes

Yes

How long from your arrival until your wife started work did you have to fall back on that comment? Please dont embarrass your self on trying to defend being work shy.
I worked before my wife got a job, so what are you talking about?

I also applied for at least 100 jobs in that time.

I worked my arse off unloading containers hard graft, putting up marquees etc. It's back breaking. My wife got offered a job which she loves so she took it and I stayed at home with the kids.

I'll tell you something else the next job I get wont be back breaking it will be something I enjoy, because I have the luxury of picking because we don't need the money.

Embarrass myself, why because I reply to a below belt dig from someone who is ill informed? Laughable.

Last edited by fraser; Mar 13th 2009 at 11:31 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Staying at home, looking after the kids is hard work, be you male or female! I know without a doubt my husband would rather go to work than do my job, it is by no means the easy option.

Having said that I love it

Lindsay x
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:05 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
Staying at home, looking after the kids is hard work, be you male or female! I know without a doubt my husband would rather go to work than do my job, it is by no means the easy option.

Having said that I love it

Lindsay x
Got to agree 100%. I have missed out on loads by stopping work to bring up my kids....social life, career, lunch breaks (lol) not to mention money. And, I can say wholeheartedly that it's been one of the hardest, loneliest and least recognised jobs I've ever done. However, I was there when my kids learned to walk and talk. It was me they came to when they were sick. Now they're at school, I am able to take them to and from school, help in their classes etc.

I wouldn't change a bit of the time I've had with my kids. One day, I'm going to turn around and they'll be grown up. But we will have memories that last a lifetime. I can't imagine picking my kids up from a childminder or sim. to discover they'd learned a new word, taken a step, lost a tooth etc.

I'm not knocking parents who work. It's their choice, as it is the choice to stay home. But no one should ever insinuate that staying home (whether Mother or Father) is taking the lazy route.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

Well said a lady after my own heart!

I don't dispute that working mothers (and fathers) have a tough time but I do find it (more than a little!) irritating that those of us who have taken the decision (be it through want or necessity) to stay at home and bring up our children can be viewed as lazy, anybody who thinks that is more than welcome to step into my shoes for a day!

Lindsay x
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

oh yeah, lunch breaks! I remember them, that was back in the days when I worked for a living!

Lindsay x
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:33 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
oh yeah, lunch breaks! I remember them, that was back in the days when I worked for a living!

Lindsay x

lol. I used to hate when my OH would come home after a long liquid lunch How jealous?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by herrchook
lol. I used to hate when my OH would come home after a long liquid lunch How jealous?
I know, the b*****s! unfortunatly now liquid lunches for me mainly involve pureed vegetables, sad but true!

Lindsay x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.