Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

springonion will become famous soon enoughspringonion will become famous soon enough
Default Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Hi,

I am planning to go on a reccie to Oz in April and my original thoughts have been to migrate to Perth. The thing is, as I'm over there, I am now considering looking at either Melbourne or Brisbane as well. Trouble is I only have time to visit 1 of those places.

A lot of people seem to head to Melbourne and so there must be a reason why its so popular. I've also heard Brisbane is really great for laid back, beach lifestyle.

The down sides I've heard (and are probabley wrong) is that Melbourne has weather very similar to the UK and Brisbane is quite small and quiet. I'm looking for great weather, chilled out lifestyle and beaches if I can get them.

Has anyone else been to these places and what were your thoughts? Which should I visit out of the 2 in the time I've got out there? I'm drawn to Melbourne but if its true about the weather being like the UK then that would put me off.

Help !! I'm so confused now.

Thanks

Nick
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

You appear to be labouring under a couple of misapprehensions here .

Weather in Melbourne is NOTHING like the UK. Where in the UK do you get weeks of summer temperatures over 35 degrees?

There are NO beaches in Brisbane (unless you count the man-made one in the city). It's located slightly inland on a river. You have to travel quite a way north or south of Brisbane to get to a decent beach for that laid-back lifestyle. Melbourne has better beaches than Brisbane (but no surf).

Alternatively, come to Sydney, which has the lot; great weather AND fantastic surf beaches.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

springonion will become famous soon enoughspringonion will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NickyC

Weather in Melbourne is NOTHING like the UK. Where in the UK do you get weeks of summer temperatures over 35 degrees?

There are NO beaches in Brisbane (unless you count the man-made one in the city). It's located slightly inland on a river. You have to travel quite a way north or south of Brisbane to get to a decent beach for that laid-back lifestyle. Melbourne has better beaches than Brisbane (but no surf).

Alternatively, come to Sydney, which has the lot; great weather AND fantastic surf beaches.
Cheers Nicky,

I'm quite open to the fact I've got it completely wrong. I normally do according to the missus

From that, it sounds like Melbourne is defo the place to look at out of the 2
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:06 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Buzzy's already done the work for you. Have a look at these.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412993

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springonion
Cheers Nicky,

I'm quite open to the fact I've got it completely wrong. I normally do according to the missus

From that, it sounds like Melbourne is defo the place to look at out of the 2
Good pick - Melbourne is nice. If I wasn't lucky enough to live here, I'd be down there like a shot.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Hi MartinLuther,

Fantastic - cheers for that - read through them and it really helps out. Melbourne it is then (Sorry Brisbane - nothing personal).

I'll leave Buzzy some karma - great reviews.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

I'll leave Buzzy some karma - great reviews.
Where's the bloody karma then? Did it get lost in the post?

Buzzy
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:39 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I am planning to go on a reccie to Oz in April and my original thoughts have been to migrate to Perth. The thing is, as I'm over there, I am now considering looking at either Melbourne or Brisbane as well. Trouble is I only have time to visit 1 of those places.

A lot of people seem to head to Melbourne and so there must be a reason why its so popular. I've also heard Brisbane is really great for laid back, beach lifestyle.

The down sides I've heard (and are probabley wrong) is that Melbourne has weather very similar to the UK and Brisbane is quite small and quiet. I'm looking for great weather, chilled out lifestyle and beaches if I can get them.

Has anyone else been to these places and what were your thoughts? Which should I visit out of the 2 in the time I've got out there? I'm drawn to Melbourne but if its true about the weather being like the UK then that would put me off.

Thanks

Nick

The recent 46c degrees heatwave in Melbourne, l would'nt say its similar to UK weather, but it does get cold and wet in winter. Melbournes about twice the size of Brisbane.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
The recent 46c degrees heatwave in Melbourne, l would'nt say its similar to UK weather, but it does get cold and wet in winter.
We're hoping - haven't seen much WET since I've been here (3 years!).
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Thanks

Nick
Do a load of reading on the areas and see if you get a gut feeling about the areas as to which will suit your situation best, ie, house prices, lifestyle etc.

We only went for a little over 2 weeks and spent about 10 days in WA and then split the remainder between Brisbane and Melbourne, we literally flew into Melbourne for 48 hours and stayed with Ozzies we knew who showed us round.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC

I agree. Brisbane has a few great islands off shore which means there are no real beaches. You have to travel 45mins to get to the awesome beaches.

But, I think you should really know about the weather. Brisbane has warm, dry winters (usual max of 21c) and stormy hot summers. Melbourne has cold winters and hot dry summers. On average you will be a lot warmer year round in Brisbane.

If you are after warmth and year round beach life then Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast would probably be your better choice.

If you are after large city life then Melbourne would be better.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Melbourne has cold winters and hot dry summers.
Cold in relation to Brisbane, but not in relation to the UK. Coldest month last year was 14oC average daytime temp.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Go to both and make sure you pack jumpers and coats for Melbourne and t shirts for Brisbane.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Go to both and make sure you pack jumpers and coats for Melbourne and t shirts for Brisbane.
Oh yes, cause an average temp of 21oC in April is freezing - definitely need your coat
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

But on the not so average days it can go a lot colder than the average 21 degrees so like I said, pack some warmer clothes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.