Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
But on the not so average days it can go a lot colder than the average 21 degrees so like I said, pack some warmer clothes.
Not a lot colder in April. A fleece maybe, but not a coat. I wear a coat about 10 days in the year - rest of the time just a fleece gillet. Still, I only live here - what do I know
Old Mar 11th 2009, 12:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Go to both and make sure you pack jumpers and coats for Melbourne and t shirts for Brisbane.
Pack them for Brisbane as well....today was pretty cold compared to how it has been.

Don't underestimate how cold it can get here.

G
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:01 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Not a lot colder in April. A fleece maybe, but not a coat. I wear a coat about 10 days in the year - rest of the time just a fleece gillet. Still, I only live here - what do I know
c'mon girls, claws away

A big misconception with a lot of people is that Australia is always hot. Its not.

I live in the hills, and it can get bloody cold sometimes. Its more the house build than the actual temperature, but worth bearing in mind. Daytime, Vic is cooler than most states on average, but its definitely NOT the UK. Today, autumn was nightime 13 degrees, daytime 26 plus (in the hills)

Brissy (although I have not yet had the chance to visit) has the advantage of year round better temperatures, but also higher humidity, and in some cases more weather extremes i.e, floods, hurricanes, winds etc. Its personal choice at the end of the day.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Where should I go on my Reccie - Brisbane or Melbourne?

Originally Posted by furkew
Brissy (although I have not yet had the chance to visit) has the advantage of year round better temperatures, but also higher humidity, and in some cases more weather extremes i.e, floods, hurricanes, winds etc. Its personal choice at the end of the day.
The other thing about Brisbane is the difference between the daytime temperature and the nightime temperature can make you feel colder. If it is 23 degrees during the day and then 4 degrees at night (Brisbane winter) you feel a lot colder than if it is 14 degrees during the day and then 4 degrees at night (Melbourne winter).

Buzzy
Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

sm79 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have the time and funds I'd visit both.

We went on a reccie last summer to Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney (and surrounding areas of each). Our reading indicated Melbourne to be best suited to what we thought we were looking for - cafe culture, vibrant nightlife, good shopping, 4 seasons etc.

While our research was accurate and it's an excellent city, we found that we just couldn't settle for some reason - perhaps because it was mid-winter and it felt a bit too much like Glasgow, who knows (could be a plus for some).

Prior to our trip we also considered Brisbane to be bottom of the list, however as soon as we arrived it just felt right. Can't really explain why, but for some reason we just felt at home there and loved every minute of our visit.

While research is extremely useful it can't account for gut feelings, and since everyone will feel at home in different places I would strongly recommend taking time to visit all possibilities to see where you 'fit' best.

Cheers
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:22 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by furkew
c'mon girls, claws away

A big misconception with a lot of people is that Australia is always hot. Its not..
Totally right where l live in Victoria its cold 5 months of the year and often rains days on end, l have a log fire and heating on all that time and in summer l only get around 5 really hot days a year where l use air conditioning and it some times snows in the mountains an hour from where l live. l spend alot on heating and almost nothing on airconditioning, but l quess up in Queensland its the opposite.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 12th 2009 at 10:30 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Totally right where l live in Victoria its cold 5 months of the year and often rains days on end, l have a log fire and heating on all that time and in summer l only get around 5 really hot days a year where l use air conditioning and it some times snows in the mountains an hour from where l live. l spend alot on heating and almost nothing on airconditioning, but l quess up in Queensland its the opposite.
Do you live in the Alpine region then? If so, that's hardly representative of the rest of Victoria. As I always say, use www.bom.gov.au and this will give you the facts
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Why are people some people from Melbourne so defensive about their weather...?????

I have days in South East Queensland when I hate the weather, it can get so hot and humid I daydream about a cooler climate but generally I prefer it which is my personal preference. All people have different preferences and good luck to them all.

The question at the start of the thread was Melbourne or Brisbane and I answered both but take clothing for 2 different climates which was in my opinion a good answer.

I find Melbourne to have so much more charachter than Brisbane, loads of different things to do, different times of the year bringing different sports and recreational pursuits. I find Brisbane to be a bit of a sprawl without a real centre and not enough heritage but these are only my opinions and different people see different cities on their own merits.

So back to my original answer without a defensive Melbourne resident trying to defend the weather look at both and make your own mind up, you could almost be in a different country and may like one more than the other.

Which ever you decide good luck to you and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for, there is something for everyone here.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:59 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Not read any of the above, more seasonal in Melbourne, more hours of daylight in summer.

Humidity can drive couples to kill in Bris..... If you're used to humidity then enjoy the heat of Bris, if u like long summer days Melbourne
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Why are people some people from Melbourne so defensive about their weather...?????

Not just the weather, its anything to do with melbourne. Last year there was an argument about coats I mean for gawd sake anyone whos been to melbourne in winter knows darn well it can be grey and murky at times. IMO part of the charm, love to get grey and murky now and again

OP. I have lived in both. Whats your job? I would imagine right now, where you could find work might be the answer.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:06 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springonion
Hi,

I am planning to go on a reccie to Oz in April and my original thoughts have been to migrate to Perth. The thing is, as I'm over there, I am now considering looking at either Melbourne or Brisbane as well. Trouble is I only have time to visit 1 of those places.

A lot of people seem to head to Melbourne and so there must be a reason why its so popular. I've also heard Brisbane is really great for laid back, beach lifestyle.

The down sides I've heard (and are probabley wrong) is that Melbourne has weather very similar to the UK and Brisbane is quite small and quiet. I'm looking for great weather, chilled out lifestyle and beaches if I can get them.

Has anyone else been to these places and what were your thoughts? Which should I visit out of the 2 in the time I've got out there? I'm drawn to Melbourne but if its true about the weather being like the UK then that would put me off.

Help !! I'm so confused now.

Thanks

Nick
Peope in Melbourne are always very keen to distinguish their climate from the UK! heh heh.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...0.200806.shtml
Above is June 2008 in Melbourne. (compare to winter, or December in UK). Mean max daily temp is 16c (UK would be a fair bit colder I imagine). Mean hours of sunshine 3.7 per day (so pretty grey like uk). Hardly any rain.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...0.200812.shtml
Above is December 2008....mean max daily temp 23.3c, so quite warm/mild. probably a tiny bit warmer than UK in June. Again, not much in the way of rain. But 8.2hrs of sunshine a day, I reckon that's more than in the Uk.

Brisbane weather is also very different from melbourne and UK.

As someone else has already said, Brisbane has no beaches itself, but the beaches on the sunshine and gold coast are approx 1hr north and south. I don't think Melbourne's beaches are as good as these ones, just my opinion though.

I think it would be a misconception to move to brisbane expecting a "laidback, beach lifestyle". You could get this on the sunshine or gold coast, depending on your line of work though.

I would say that people in Melbourne in general, live a different lifestyle to those in UK. And people in Brisbane lead an even more different lifestyle. In comparison to Melbourne, Brisbane has far less in the way of good cheap restaurants, bars, pubs, arts, entertainment and "culture". These things give people in Melbourne more entertainment options. Up in Brisbane those things are available but there are far less options, so the lifestyle here is more about outdoor entertaining/drinks/bbqs with family & friends, and doing general outdoor type stuff (camping,fishing, beach,sports).

Of course, people in Melbourne get to enjoy all those things too.... but the climate around Brisbane makes it easier to do outdoor things all year round.

In general, I would say that if "entertainments and culture" is a higher priority for you then go for Melbourne, but if "the great outdoors" is more important then Brisbane.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:42 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sm79
perhaps because it was mid-winter and it felt a bit too much like Glasgow.

Dont say that the Melbourne mafia will be after ya!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

I have days in South East Queensland when I hate the weather, it can get so hot and humid I daydream about a cooler climate but generally I prefer it which is my personal preference. All people have different preferences and good luck to them all.

The question at the start of the thread was Melbourne or Brisbane and I answered both but take clothing for 2 different climates which was in my opinion a good answer.

I find Melbourne to have so much more charachter than Brisbane, loads of different things to do, different times of the year bringing different sports and recreational pursuits. I find Brisbane to be a bit of a sprawl without a real centre and not enough heritage but these are only my opinions and different people see different cities on their own merits.

So back to my original answer without a defensive Melbourne resident trying to defend the weather look at both and make your own mind up, you could almost be in a different country and may like one more than the other.

Which ever you decide good luck to you and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for, there is something for everyone here.
How can it be defensive to suggest people look at the government stats - that is not my opinion, it is fact

Melbourne weather will not suit everyone and I myself would rather have one less winter month - but I will reply to nonsense, especially if written by those who do not live here :0)

Last edited by The Crow; Mar 13th 2009 at 3:50 am.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:50 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel wears a coat all the time She was trying to buy one from Esprit UK online the other day that looked like it should be worn in the Italian alps
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Dont say that the Melbourne mafia will be after ya!
But we are the chosen ones Always fancied being a ganster's moll

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.