Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to settle in SA any recomendations?

where to settle in SA any recomendations?

Old Jul 25th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road
Default where to settle in SA any recomendations?

Myself and my partner are going to be emigrating to South Australia next year. Can anyone recomend places to settle? We are looking for a smallish village somewhere i can wake up to the sounds of cows mooing not cars racing down the highway! If poss not too far from beach either. We will be starting a family eventually so not too remote. We also have to start some sort of business due to our visa, as yet we havent decided what! But we are going for a reccie in January so will be able to visit some places for some inspiration, I hope
Main things being somewhere fairley safe and quiet. Somewhere like Callendar in Scotland but thats not much help if you havent been there!
Any thoughts?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:16 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where to settle in SA any recomendations?

Originally Posted by rhona
Myself and my partner are going to be emigrating to South Australia next year. Can anyone recomend places to settle? We are looking for a smallish village somewhere i can wake up to the sounds of cows mooing not cars racing down the highway! If poss not too far from beach either. We will be starting a family eventually so not too remote. We also have to start some sort of business due to our visa, as yet we havent decided what! But we are going for a reccie in January so will be able to visit some places for some inspiration, I hope
Main things being somewhere fairley safe and quiet. Somewhere like Callendar in Scotland but thats not much help if you havent been there!
Any thoughts?
http://www.fleurieupeninsula.com.au/
Maslin Beach would be my choice,sellicks is nice as is aldinga beach and moana!
More remote towns are myponga,normanville,yankalilla,carrackalinga all of these places are close to superb beaches and surrounded by rolling hills but still not to far from civilisation
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

thanks wengerboy I will check out that site tonight.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Any thoughts?
Hi Rhona

It's all personal choice but I would recommend the Hills, only problem is that they aren't near the beach (about 40 minutes drive depending how far up the freeway you are). They certainly remind me more of Scotland than anywhere else we've visited, but everyone is different. We used to live in Kirkcaldy which is a fair size town, but we lived in a cottage surrounded by fields with a phenomenal view over the Firth of Forth. Would have loved to have been near the water as we've both always lived near the water but turned out we preferred the hills to the beach areas just because for us places like Mount Barker, Nairne, Littlehampton and Strathalbyn all felt like proper villages/towns in their own right. Good Luck, you'll find what you're looking for I'm sure. Give us a shout when you're over if you like and we can meet up for a drink.

Nikki
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: where to settle in SA any recomendations?

Adelaide Hills, without a doubt. I have lived in Lobethal, and it's drop dead gorgeous.

If you can't afford them or it's too far out, go for the foothills. Yatala Vale, Vista, Tea Trea Gully, St Agnes and Golden Grove are all nice (particularly the first three).

Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Niki, would love to meet up when we get out there I will look into those places you mentioned, its good to get a fellow scots view.
What is it you do, how long have you been out there for? Any family? Feel free to PM me. Thanks for your help
Old Jul 26th 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Adelaide Hills, without a doubt. I have lived in Lobethal, and it's drop dead gorgeous.

If you can't afford them or it's too far out, go for the foothills. Yatala Vale, Vista, Tea Trea Gully, St Agnes and Golden Grove are all nice (particularly the first three).

Vash thanks for your info looking into it already. Lots of history to Lothebal
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:40 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts?
Do a search on Mc larenvale or Willunga ,you get hills and 5 mins to the beach....mm
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wengerboy
http://www.fleurieupeninsula.com.au/
Maslin Beach would be my choice,sellicks is nice as is aldinga beach and moana!
More remote towns are myponga,normanville,yankalilla,carrackalinga all of these places are close to superb beaches and surrounded by rolling hills but still not to far from civilisation
Yip Maslin beach, eh?! Just checked it out - nudist beach, i wouldn't wont to frighten the locals