Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to rent? any help please

Where to rent? any help please

Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:36 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Cool Where to rent? any help please

Hi Guys................i am driving myself insane trying to decide where to rent when we first move to Aus so ANY help much appreciated. Now I know you cant please everybody but in an ideal world this is what I would like!!:

Bus or Train into Perth for my two teenage daughters..............somewhere easy to get to for work...hubby is a Mechanic and im a Hairdresser......And I would also love to live near the coast!! Am I dreaming? any ideas on areas would be great, thanks in advance...oh and a primary school....
Dawn
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where to rent? any help please

Have you looked at the poms in perth website it may be of some use to you. We too are hoping to be in Perth by the back end of next year. We went out there last year and favoured the northern suburbs. Particularly woodvale because of the pub there (moon and sixpence) got to get our priorities sorted however prices here seem to have got more expensive since our reccie. It seems the further out of perth you go the cheaper it gets but expensive if close to the sea. But as far as the north suburbs of perth go the mitchell highway provides easy access into the city. This is my view and I would be interested in the opinion of those already there. Can't really offer an opinion on southern suburbs as didn't really research them that much just went for the odd visit. Hope you get some better answers than this. nicky x
Old Oct 18th 2005, 11:52 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

c`mon perthies if this was a perth sucks ass thread it would have had a 100 posts by now post some constructive stuff for these guys you lame asses!!!!!!!
weng xx
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi Guys................i am driving myself insane trying to decide where to rent when we first move to Aus so ANY help much appreciated. Now I know you cant please everybody but in an ideal world this is what I would like!!:

Bus or Train into Perth for my two teenage daughters..............somewhere easy to get to for work...hubby is a Mechanic and im a Hairdresser......And I would also love to live near the coast!! Am I dreaming? any ideas on areas would be great, thanks in advance...oh and a primary school....
Dawn
Can only go by where we live in the northern subs. We live in Iluka, and its very nice. Near the coast and near railway. Its always difficult for Brits coming over deciding on where to live, as the chocie is huge. You have to start by deciding on budget, time to perth CBD by rail or car, how lcose to coast you want to be, shops etc.

Try narrowing down your search. Do you want to go north or south?.

The train system here is great. Clarkson the last stop on the northern line takes around 35 mins into city. The more you move down, the quicker. The train takes you right into the city centre. Dont know anything about buses. Car travel to the city depends on where you work and time you have to start. Offices workers start at 8.30 average and the freeway is jammed from 7.30am onwards. It takes me around 40-55 mins from iluka to CBD, which is around 25K. Dont be put off, as its not that bad. You may get work in the area you live, as hairdressers and mechanics are all over the subs. Plenty of primary schools. We have a choice of 2 where we live and both are highly recommended.

No area is far away from the coast here, so dont need to be right on it.

We had the same thoughts as most people, coastal living, pool, but when you get here, you will find out perth is very small, and all the subs are close to each other.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:37 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

ahh thanks for that sounds good advice......hows Perth treating you?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

ahh thanks for that sounds good advice......hows Perth treating you?
Dawn,
Great. We have been here 11 weeks now and already feels like home. My wife is happy and enjoying the social life of a desperate house wife, and we enjoy the time so much more at weekends. Just poping down the beach at weekend is great. Its not like sunny bognor beach. Met so many freinds since weve been here. Everyone is in the same boat as you, so making freinds is easy. Its just a big culture shock, and takes time to adjust. everything is different, not bad but different. Its certainly hard in the fisrt few weeks, trying to find your wayt around, getting a rental sorted out, banking, medicare, etc. Once you get your place and furniture arrives, its like being at home. Some people say Perth is boring, but it depends on what you want out of life for your and your family. We love it because its not always busy, more like a sleeping village.
Everything is at a slower pace here, which i now enjoy. Cant speed, so no road rage for me.

You will love it.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:15 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

you make it sound wonderful....cant wait!!! thanks if my police checks ever come back, 3rd time ive had them done.....first one we scraped as done to early, second lot were lost somewhere in Adelaide and applied for the 3rd lot a month ago and not back yet!!! driving me nuts as aspc got everything else so just waiting.........................I will def take your advise, we need to look at very low cost areas and rentals as coming out with "not alot".....but I will LOVE IT! Cheers x
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Dawn
Hi Dawn

As a starter, here's a real estate link. I think they do rentals aswell:

http://www.realestate.com.au/realest...rth&rsf=google

Good luck!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:54 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dawn

When we arrived we spent the first two weeks checking out suburbs North and South and finally settled in Woodvale.

Prices have shot up a bit since we arrived on Oct 2003 and you will struggle to find anything in Woodvale now for less than $300,000 i(average price about $350,000).

That said Kingsley and Edgewater are both nice suburbs (and I believe fall into the catchment area for Woodvale Snr High) and the property prices are a little lower than Woodvale. They are both close to the train station and freeway and 10 min drive down to the coast.

Moving a little closer to the coast you have Padbury (av price $260k) which is nice but the property a little older (phone lines still above ground there) Then there is Craige (ave price $226k), Beldon (av price $245k) and Heathridge (ave price $236k) although some areas of the suburbs look a little uncared for if you take time to drive round there are some great little spots for a first home. In fact I was surprised at how nice Heathridge was when I drove round it last week taking some photos for the website and with the way prices have been climbing these suburbs will only get better as people move into them as an alternative to some of the more expensive suburbs they can no longer afford.

As for the price of rentals? For a 4 bed, 2 bath place in Woodvale you would probably be looking to pay upwards of $270 per week. If you rented in Craige you would probably be looking at a 3x1 (houses tend to be smaller in Craige) upwards of $220 and Kingsley upwards of about $240. A lot will depend on the condition of the house. I have not rented over here but from what I have heard from people who have it can sometimes be difficult to find a nice rental property.

Anyway after all the waffle (which I hope helped) the best thing to do is pay the extra $$ for a furnished rental for the first couple of weeks and just take a drive around the suburbs. Its the best way to get a feel of the place. Just get a map and strike out all those that are above your budget before you start then look at the suburbs next door.

Good luck with the move

Sharon
www.immigrateperth.com
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:58 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Thumbs up Re: Where to rent? any help please

ahh thanks for your time, big help x