Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where is most like the UK?

Where is most like the UK?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Where is most like the UK?

I am an Aussie living in the UK. My husband and I are considering moving bck to Australia. I have only lived in Sydney and don't really want to move back there (We don't mind renting there to begin with but not in the long term). I love the history of the UK and we love going places on the weekends like museums, old houses etc, I also like being near decent shops. I don't actually like shopping but I don't drive (yet!) so I need to be close to things.

Basically so I don't go on to long, Where in Australia have yoy found to be a bit like the UK. I know people can't tell us where to live but we would like people's opinions on what they have found out there.

In short a place near (or in) a big town/city would be good. T

Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is most like the UK?

Melbourne has many old buildings and history, my elderly father who is staying with us has spent many enjoyable days strolling round the inner suburbs trying to trace family history. It also has great museums and art galleries etc. So for that particular aspect of the UK, I would say Melbourne might fit the bill.

HTH

Buzzy
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply...My father in law wants to go there and do the same. I never thought of living there though...I will look into it.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Melbourne has many old buildings and history, my elderly father who is staying with us has spent many enjoyable days strolling round the inner suburbs trying to trace family history. It also has great museums and art galleries etc. So for that particular aspect of the UK, I would say Melbourne might fit the bill.

HTH

Buzzy
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ballarat or Bendigo although the summers will be a bit on the hot side. With Ballarat you also have the added benefit of unpredictable weather like in UK. At the moment it is somewhat drought ridden but when the rains come it will improve - it is the only place I can recall seeing daisies in the grass. Ballarat has some significant Aussie history and if you felt like it you can get a "job" (volunteer) to go back in time to the goldfields and be an inhabitant of Sovereign Hill, in appropriate dress and with the manners of the time.

I hear that Tasmania also has an English feel to it and has as much history as you are going to find anywhere in Aus.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
So for that particular aspect of the UK, I would say Melbourne might fit the bill.
Don't forget the weather and the amount of Poms ;-)

Happy Australia Day, folks!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:23 am
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough

It makes me ask the question. Why spend good money to move somewhere that is the same as the UK ?
Please understand, I am not trying to be funny or rude.
But surely you move here for the lifestyle change

We have moved to a completely different lifestyle in Port Macquarie (NSW) from Lincoln (UK) and are finding it exciting, interesting, In fact in a lot of cases awesome. Beach walks each evening with the pooch. etc

Chris
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:25 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
Don't forget the weather and the amount of Poms ;-)

Happy Australia Day, folks!
Backatya !!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Bowral and the surrounds are known as the "English" part of NSW. Adelaide is also more Angliphised than most other areas.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:59 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

I recommend staying in the UK. Then you'll have UK rain, UK traffic, UK people, UK family, UK friends, and UK cities and towns to visit.

For a complete change of lifestyle (I mean why travel to the other side of the world for more of the same) move to Australia where the climte is different, sometimes hot sometimes cold, the wages are generally lower, the cost of living roughly the same when all evens out, houses prices - well depends on where you end up to what the cost will be etc.

Why bother with a home away from home when you can stay home and save all that money and expense?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's any need to be judgemental about her question - she might like to know that if she moves to, say, Lakemba she will probably have to wear a tent over her head and learn Cantonese just about anywhere in Sydney.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Sunshine Coast-it is very green and rains a lot
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your post.....I do understand what everyone else is saying though and if we were both from the UK moving to Australia for the first time I would totally agree but we tried living in Australia together before and the reason we ended up leaving is we missed the things I mentioned.

As for the tent wearing I totally agree!!!

Originally Posted by Wol
I don't think there's any need to be judgemental about her question - she might like to know that if she moves to, say, Lakemba she will probably have to wear a tent over her head and learn Cantonese just about anywhere in Sydney.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Why dya think it will work this time then?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Its a very long story but this time it will be my desicion to go back not outside factors and I lost a close family member there and I want to have my son go through the Australian school system. (Please don't think I am rubbishing the UK system - but we just both feel the Australian one is more for us).

We have not totally decided anyway

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Why dya think it will work this time then?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:41 am
Banned

Listen Im withya...

I hear ppl on here with 3 and 4 yr old kids in oz, saying the ozzy schooling is wank... which i totally disagree with.

But anyways.. if your after something with culture vibrancy and ethical history... Melbourne in my opinion is the place to be.