Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in OZ??

Where to live in OZ??

Old May 6th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

ryan67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Where to live in OZ??

Hi there, just joined and was hoping for some advice.
Me, my partner and 4year old daughter are thinking of relocating to Australia from Scotland but don't have a clue what state to move to???

My partner is a carpet fitter so would have to be some where with this type of work. Would like somewhere with a good community of fellow Brits.

Been trying to research this for ages but don't know anyone from OZ so don't know where to start.
Don't want to end up in the wrong place if u know what i mean!!

Would love any advice anyone can give me.
Thanks
Old May 6th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in OZ??

Hi,I think it would be a good idea to give us some clues to what you like doing?Are you a city slicker?Beach bum (),country bumpkin hillbilly type?Do you like warm weather most of the time,or cold winters,warm summers?We need abit more info is possible?
Old May 6th 2009, 7:15 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ryan67
Me, my partner and 4year old daughter are thinking of relocating to Australia from Scotland but don't have a clue what state to move to???

My partner is a carpet fitter so would have to be some where with this type of work. Would like somewhere with a good community of fellow Brits.

Been trying to research this for ages but don't know anyone from OZ so don't know where to start.

Thanks
It would be easy if there was one place in OZ you could say is the best place to live and move there but there is'nt, theres a massive diversity of places, for example if you live in Canberra or Hobart you have snow capped mountains nearby or live in Cairns or Brisbane you have a warm tropical environemnt and rainforests nearby. If you want tp live somewhere with a large community of Brits then certain suburbs of Perth would be the place to go. l saw some TV show the other day about a guy who was a carpet fitter and imigrated to Adelaide and he said there was plenty of work there for carpet fitters and good pay as well.

Last edited by mohogony; May 6th 2009 at 7:22 pm.
Old May 6th 2009, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryan67

Thanks

First search on the carpet layer threads, you might get a more realistic picture of wages etc than the recently repeated life downunder show in the UK.
Old May 7th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what weather you are after & if you want easy access to beach, city etc
We chose Cairns because we wanted good temps year round & knew we could cope with the few months of humidity. Also wanted a city that was more like a town!
You have to consider what you really want as a family!
Old May 7th 2009, 3:03 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

14 Victoria Parade, Ryde, Sydney.
Old May 7th 2009, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I am a bit biased but I would suggest that Canberra is the best place to live in Australia.

Ideal size, lowest unemployment in Australia, easy acceess to Sydney without the hassle of living in that over-crowded rat race, access to the coast and to the alps.

Its one of Australia's best kept secrets. Most Aussies dont want to live here because it goes down to below freezing point in Winter and is not on the coast.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wherever you can get a job I would think.
Old May 7th 2009, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UncleKev
Most Aussies dont want to live here because it goes down to below freezing point in Winter and is not on the coast.
...and as someone who now lives on the coast and hasn't seen any frost in the three years I have been here I can understand why.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I was out at 5:30 this morning for a run with my whippet. Nothing better than a morning run on a cold canberra morning.
Attached Thumbnails Where to live in OZ??-canberra.jpg  

Last edited by UncleKev; May 7th 2009 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UncleKev
I was out at 5:30 this morning for a run with my whippet. Nothing better than a morning run on a cold canberra morning.
Mate, if that's a piccie of you in your Avatar I will stake a small fortune that the whippet was quicker.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:49 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ryan,

I'm not in Australia but just wanted to poke my head in your thread and welcome you to BE. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Old May 8th 2009, 3:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Mate, if that's a piccie of you in your Avatar I will stake a small fortune that the whippet was quicker.
Old May 8th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose ACT, Victoria, South Aus and Tasmania because people are more likely to have carpet in these States as the winters are colder.
Old May 8th 2009, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd work out of you can get a visa before considering places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.