Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to live in Melbourne

Where to live in Melbourne

Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

vinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nice
Default Where to live in Melbourne

Hi, me and my family have been approached by the Australian branch of my company to move over to Melbourne, I am 35 and have a wife 30 a daughter 5 and son 2. Any info on where to live around Melbourne would be great also schools nuseries etc. We will be coming over soon for a couple of weeks to look at the job and of course Melbourne, we will be sponsored by the company for visas etc but any info / advice would be most welcome, also any similar families we could meet up with when we arrive would also be great as we will know absolutely nobody. We are very nervous but above all very excited.

Thanks for reading,

Neil, Lucy, Freya and Tom.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in Melbourne

Welcome, depends where you are going to work. Melbourne is a huge area we live over a 100 km from the airport for instance. Four million people most living on suburban blocks of land so it covers huge area.

Depends if you want city, beach, hills.

Have a look at the http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ site which gives you all the transport links and then you cold look at realestate.com.au at some of the suburbs along the routes.

Childcare is either run by the council or private and does not come cheap.

Kindergarten is mainly for four year olds and there is big demand due to the high birth rate.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We moved over in April this year with my husbands company.
We are living in Point Cook in the western suburbs, which we love but my OH works in westmeadows near the airport and so it suits us to live this side of the city.
A lot depends on the lifestyle you want and the area you will be working.
We like this area as it caters for families really well and is friendly and safe.
I narrowed my search area down by looking at the commute times from the office and drawing a circle around from there.
Good luck
Sonia x
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:41 am
Just Joined

vinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nicevinnieno1 is just really nice

Thanks to you both, Point Cook looks lovely and we will be visiting asap, should be over in the next few weeks for a 3 week visit to tie up loose ends with job and find somewhere to live. My wife really likes the look of Point Cook, what is the primary school like? and how does council tax / rates etc work over there for rented property.

Thanks again.

Neil.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil,

There are several primary schools and everyone you talk to has a different opinion of them. They are all zoned so it will depend on the catchment that you fall into. I have 2 boys age 6 & 10 who have gone into prep and grade 5 and they love it here. They have settled really well and are happy which was my main priority but they are also acheiving really well. We came from a small school in Cheshire which was consistently outstanding in the ofsted reports and acheived highly in the sats but my boys actually seem to be doing better here!! Go figure!!!
The rates and water rates are included in any rental you pay so you will only have to pay for gas, electric, water usage, telephone etc.
Send me a private message if I can be any help to you at all.
Sonia
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:08 am
Just Joined

jimbo33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we moved over in Dec 09 with our 2 children (6 and 2yrs). Again with limited family and noing nobody as friends. We live in Mentone which is Southern Suberbs. Is considered perhaps an expensive suberb but most of Melbourne is. Has great schools government and private, shops, walk to the train line (to the city 40 mins) and the beach. The highway runs through so can get around easily. We like it so perhaps worth a look around. There are things we still hate about this country e.g. how long it takes to get things done. But the Australian options are 'there is always tomorrow' so up to us to get used to it... Would be OK to meet up with you guys if you have time.. Jim