Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interviewed, References checked. But?

Interviewed, References checked. But?

Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future
Exclamation Interviewed, References checked. But?

I had my first interview in Oz on last Monday

Interview was for a particular job, & was with the agency.

Agency told me that client has been a long standing friend.

Client was disclosed. Evening I came to know that my referees had been contacted by email & by now they had responded.

It's been 4 days after the interview. No calls. No mails.

Should I just forget it?

Or call them?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:29 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Interviewed, References checked. But?

Call them...

If they've checked references the job should be yours (assuming your referees dont respond with "Who?.. no - I have no idea who you're talking about..."). Its considered extremely unprofessional to contact referees unless you are seriously thinking of recruiting the candidate and in some cases could be considered unethical to do so. (Anyone contacting a current employer as a referee before beign pretty certain they are offering the job is a recruiment low-life and deserves to find themselves jobless in no time).

In all likelyhood, they are offering you the job but theres some bureacratic red-tape within the organisation slowing things down. Calling is completely acceptable.

Last edited by DadAgain; Aug 6th 2010 at 12:35 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

I'd give the agency a call myself. Depends what they said in the interview. It's only normal to get references if they want you for the position, so unless your references give bad ones I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just give them a speculative call, ask what the process is or when you would expect to hear if you were successful or not.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future

Thanks for both u. I ve vacated my earlier post since here I’m on a fresh start on a permanent visa.

Sent a mail. Had a reply saying that client's manager is on a training session & asking me to hold further.

As Dadagain said what if they turn down after checking references!? It’s humiliating. I know my both references are former bosses I depend on them & they personally told me that they had received correspondence too!

Prob is this holds my life too. Since I find other opportunities to look for this sound no good for me.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charw
Thanks for both u. I ve vacated my earlier post since here I’m on a fresh start on a permanent visa.

Sent a mail. Had a reply saying that client's manager is on a training session & asking me to hold further.

As Dadagain said what if they turn down after checking references!? It’s humiliating. I know my both references are former bosses I depend on them & they personally told me that they had received correspondence too!

Prob is this holds my life too. Since I find other opportunities to look for this sound no good for me.
Just sounds typically Australian - they don't rush with job applications, and if the person signing it off (manager or whoever) is on training or leave or something it will just sit on hold till he/she gets back. We had one at our place recently (Qld Govt) which waited over 3 weeks from referee checking to the successful candidate being told, purely due to leave on the part of one of the panel. I'm afraid thats just the way it works.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

It sounds to me like the Agency are proposing you to their client and the client has said something like "sounds good can you check the references" and may have asked a specific question they want checking.

I think it fairly unusual to be offered a role without seeing the client, but that may depend on the seniority of the role. However, I would keep seeking a role until you have a formal letter of offer.

Good Luck
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just sounds typically Australian - they don't rush with job applications, and if the person signing it off (manager or whoever) is on training or leave or something it will just sit on hold till he/she gets back. We had one at our place recently (Qld Govt) which waited over 3 weeks from referee checking to the successful candidate being told, purely due to leave on the part of one of the panel. I'm afraid thats just the way it works.
Hi Polly.

Concern is advertisement said 'immediate'.client is private entity.

Imagine where both referees gave polsitives for their concerns, what is your guess of my chances of success?

Position is neither junior nor very senior!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charw
Hi Polly.

Concern is advertisement said 'immediate'.client is private entity.

Imagine where both referees gave polsitives for their concerns, what is your guess of my chances of success?

Position is neither junior nor very senior!
I wouldn't even like to hazard a guess, sorry.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

They usually go to referees for all candidates that are interviewed in my experience, not just the one that gets the job. Also I wouldnt be expecting a reply for a good couple of weeks.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:37 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
They usually go to referees for all candidates that are interviewed in my experience, not just the one that gets the job.
I've never had my references checked! My CV has "referees available on request" on it - but they've never been required. In 12 years and through 6 different employers (and many many interviews) in private sector, small consultancies, large global corporates, government departents etc etc...

When I've interviewed and been hiring for positions I havent checked references either - unless corporate policy has dictated it - in which case its only done after I've spoken to the candidate (or agent) and confirmed that they are 'in the box seat' just subject to final checks and some red-tape.

EDIT: Just read the OP again - and if you've only spoken to the agent you havent had an 'interview' yet - just a face-to-face meeting with an agent. If the agent has checked your references then either you come across as slightly dodgy or in some way questionable (are you non-caucasian for example and the agent unreasonably has quality and honesty concerns over your CV). Are you 'fresh off the boat' and therefore not to be trusted? (in which case reference check isnt so bad since clearly your overseas referees already know you've gone and teh need for appropriate discretion by a potential employer is not so great).

Face-to-face agent meetings are a pain. There may or may not be a job they're actually talking about - they may actually just be scoping you out to see if they can push you forward for other roles. Its a real pain in the butt part of the recruitment process. Hopefully in this case you will get an interview (once the client has finished his training course) - but dont hold your breath. Recruitment agents are full of positive talk - but very rarely come through with anything.

Last edited by DadAgain; Aug 6th 2010 at 3:44 am.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

shuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura about

I am in OZ for only 14 days now. I got an nominal offer from a small company to start up my Aussie career. I got this, without any agent's help. But an agent that I had been in contact with is telling me to hold up as I am technically proficient and they can easily get a better job for me. I have to say yes or no to the employer on Monday(today Friday) and this agent just keeps me hanging with big company names...I don't know what to do!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't had an interview Charw, you have had a meeting with an agent. I would be very surprised at being asked to provide references after a meeting with an agent and agree with dadagain, they probably could not make up their mind about you, but still at least they did decide you are worth checking out.

You might hear something further, you might not. But I think you are perfectly entitled to chase up an agent that has done your reference checking.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shuvo27
I am in OZ for only 14 days now. I got an nominal offer from a small company to start up my Aussie career. I got this, without any agent's help. But an agent that I had been in contact with is telling me to hold up as I am technically proficient and they can easily get a better job for me. I have to say yes or no to the employer on Monday(today Friday) and this agent just keeps me hanging with big company names...I don't know what to do!!!!
Well how confident are you? Has the agent got something specific in mind? If so maybe you just play for time, but I would definitely be thinking a bird in the hand and all that...
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

shuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura aboutshuvo27 has a spectacular aura about

yesterday he specifically told me about a company, where it is situated and told me to google about it. Even queried if it would be ok for me to travel to that place which is a bit far from me. and promised me to send a mail about the position instantly. then nothing, when I called this morning he said he is checking with other clients too, and I have to hold up..
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You haven't had an interview Charw, you have had a meeting with an agent. I would be very surprised at being asked to provide references after a meeting with an agent and agree with dadagain, they probably could not make up their mind about you, but still at least they did decide you are worth checking out.

You might hear something further, you might not. But I think you are perfectly entitled to chase up an agent that has done your reference checking.
What? I d rather confused when agency do the background checking.
If he has no power in decision making to hire why doesn't he leave it to company? .
Agent was one with accounting background & infact it was several technical questions.!

In case I m not selected he has wasted not only mine but my former bosses time too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.