Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice
Default Re: where to live Gold Coast, Brisbane or Logan?

Hi Guys
we are hoping to move to shailer park area next may we have been told that it is a quite good area, what do you all think ???

Billy & Vicki
Old Oct 24th 2005, 6:13 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi Guys
we are hoping to move to shailer park area next may we have been told that it is a quite good area, what do you all think ???

Billy & Vicki
I can't help too much as we only spent about an hour driving round there when we were there last year, but from what we saw it looked lovely. There was quite a few large homes (a number of these were 2 storey), and they backed on to forests but had good views across miles of flatter land. The Logan Hyperdome was very close by. This is a huge shopping mall/cinema complex. It took about 30 minutes to drive into Brisbane city centre.
Sorry, not a lot of info really, but there's bound to be loads of others on here with first hand knowledge.
We haven't ruled it out as a place to live.
Julie
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:15 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billy0911
Hi Guys

Billy & Vicki
Shailer Park is a nice area, and up until a cpl of years ago, was not a class suburb.

Now though it is a very much sought after area.

Houses range from lowsets set on mountain goat driveways, to highsets with balcony views to die for.

Check out www.ourbrisbane.com and search for shailer park for community and house price info.

Its proximity as julie said, is ideal for jumping on m1 and trapseing to Gold Coast or indeed CBD.

Most of the blocks in Shailer are I would say 1/4 to 1 acre sized, the older properties being of larger block proportions.

Like cars, Aussies prefer new. Its weird , getting used to this with Homes, as in the Uk, we generally find older homes can command higher prices. Not so in Oz.

There are not many new developments around this area, and friends have told me schooling is pretty good.

Its more the convenience and locality that people like.

Steve
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice

Hi Steve & Julie
Many thanks for the info it was most helpful

Vicki & Billy
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Not sure. All I can say is that when we were there for 5 weeks in July/August last year, we only had 2 light rain showers. Result
I will try and find out though.

Julie
That is very kind of you thankyou!!!! And 5 weeks with only a few light showers I would say that is a result!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Donna and Mike
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkyfox
That is very kind of you thankyou!!!! And 5 weeks with only a few light showers I would say that is a result!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Donna and Mike

Arghhhh!!! :scared:

Guys, it rains here! In summer! ALOT!

Im not sure of the figures, but Im pretty sure that the annual rainfall for Brisbane is alot more than the annual rainfall for London, but on alot fewer days. So when it does rain here in summer it rains so hard that you cant see out of your car windscreen & you get soaked to your underwear if you are unfortunate enough to be caught in it for more than 3 or 4 seconds. The laws of maths say that if you get more rain on fewer days then it has to rain harder. And the laws of science say that you need hard & heavy rain to fill dams. Otherwise none of us would be able to live here .

On the other hand, in winter (when Julie was over) it is normally quite dry & you get very little rain. Lots of blue skies.

But expect alot of rain in summer - we get it!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pinkyfox

Thanks in advance

Donna and Mike

Living 3km from CBD (since 9th Sept) and in that short space of time I've grown to LOVE the rainfall! We are in the middle of a serious drought here with ever worsening restrictions. The dams are only 30% full. But apart from the good that the rain does to allievate the drought situation, the rain storms are quite spectacular. We sat and watched a storm for hours last night. Its still warm enough to sit outside (undercover of-course!). The 77 yr old mother-in-law is visiting from England and she was amazed and really loved it.

It certainly cools things down a bit, which is another good thing. I'm certainly looking forward to the summer rain. I noticed in all our previous 'winter' visits to Brisbane that the day-time weather is superb for anyone not keen on rain. The skies are clear blue, the temperatures about 23-24, but the nights are perhaps a lot chillier than you might expect. We had electric blankets on at night and the heater on when we were staying at Shorncliffe.

So in conclusion, I think you need to take the rough with the smooth and expect absolute bucket loads of rain in summer. And I mean bucket loads. At one stage last night we filled a small bucket in seconds!!!

Netta
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Living 3km from CBD (since 9th Sept) and in that short space of time I've grown to LOVE the rainfall! We are in the middle of a serious drought here with ever worsening restrictions. The dams are only 30% full. But apart from the good that the rain does to allievate the drought situation, the rain storms are quite spectacular. We sat and watched a storm for hours last night. Its still warm enough to sit outside (undercover of-course!). The 77 yr old mother-in-law is visiting from England and she was amazed and really loved it.

It certainly cools things down a bit, which is another good thing. I'm certainly looking forward to the summer rain. I noticed in all our previous 'winter' visits to Brisbane that the day-time weather is superb for anyone not keen on rain. The skies are clear blue, the temperatures about 23-24, but the nights are perhaps a lot chillier than you might expect. We had electric blankets on at night and the heater on when we were staying at Shorncliffe.

So in conclusion, I think you need to take the rough with the smooth and expect absolute bucket loads of rain in summer. And I mean bucket loads. At one stage last night we filled a small bucket in seconds!!!

Netta
Most of the rain does seem to be at night though, which is good, as it's dark anyway by 6.30 so it doesn't interfere with your daily life.
The storms usually follow after very hot humid days and are indeed spectacular. Last night's was awesome!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the roughPinkyfox is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your replys!!!!

So I can safely say it rains ALOT!!!!!

Donna
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

can any one give e an idea of the areas around brisbane, wellington point, thornside, cleveland alexandra hills or any nice areas a little inland what may be worth considering that are nor as expensive as the costal areas but are nice ????