Plug Adaptors

Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plug Adaptors

Does anyone know where, in the Melbourne area, I can buy about 20 plug adaptors so I can start using all of our UK appliances without running around the house and moving plugs around !

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:13 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plug Adaptors

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Does anyone know where, in the Melbourne area, I can buy about 20 plug adaptors so I can start using all of our UK appliances without running around the house and moving plugs around !

Thanks
Go to bunnings and buy twenty plugs, a pair of electricians pliers and a screwdiver
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:23 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Probably at the airport in one of the overpriced travel shops. The other places I have found really expensive adapters is in Chemist - maybe worth phoning them first.

Did you not get the tip on here to bring loads of UK plug gangboards and just swop the end one to an Aussie plug!

Ask for some help on the board for the older lot to lend you some, I would be willing but I am in Sydney.

Also watch out for the plug brigade - I am not sure you are allowed to change plugs yourself on all appliances.

Good Luck
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:49 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Dick Smith do a universal adapter for $12.99 http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M7323

They are nice and substantial too, don't keep falling out the wall like most travel adapters.

Another option which works well, do you have any UK 4 or 6 way extension blocks? If so simply get one Aussie plug, whack it on the cable and you can plug 4 or 6 UK items in (Just don't overload the circuit with power hungry stuff - things like kettle, hairdryers etc really need to have their own Aussie plug fitted)

Oh and a couple of things re Aussie plugs, none of the 'plug tops' have fuses in them it's all done on the circuit breaker for the ring main. Be aware that normal household wall sockets will only take up to a 10 amp rated plug. If you buy the 15 amp plugs they have a bigger earth blade on them and won't fit unless its a 15 amp socket, bloody frustrating when you have fitted half a dozen and then find out you've wasted your time lol.

And most double wall sockets over here aren't spaced far enough apart to put two tranformers in for lower voltage stuff like phone chargers etc. Dick Smith do a 'power board' (5 way extension) which has wide spaced sockets to allow transformers to be plugged in. You can tell which one it is as three sockets have grey square around them showing the wide spacing.

If you get stuck PM me I think I have three or four UK multi adapter extensions left in a box somewhere and would just need an Aussie plug fitting on the cable. I'm in Melly and you're welcome to borrow them till you get sorted out if you want.

Last edited by Flying Banana; Oct 25th 2005 at 1:51 am.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:57 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
go into a big hotel and say ' Im staying here, can you lend me an adapter for my english plug? '

Repeat 20 times (not at same hotel)

and run
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Dick Smith do a universal adapter for $12.99 http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/M7323

They are nice and substantial too, don't keep falling out the wall like most travel adapters.

Another option which works well, do you have any UK 4 or 6 way extension blocks? If so simply get one Aussie plug, whack it on the cable and you can plug 4 or 6 UK items in (Just don't overload the circuit with power hungry stuff - things like kettle, hairdryers etc really need to have their own Aussie plug fitted)

Oh and a couple of things re Aussie plugs, none of the 'plug tops' have fuses in them it's all done on the circuit breaker for the ring main. Be aware that normal household wall sockets will only take up to a 10 amp rated plug. If you buy the 15 amp plugs they have a bigger earth blade on them and won't fit unless its a 15 amp socket, bloody frustrating when you have fitted half a dozen and then find out you've wasted your time lol.

And most double wall sockets over here aren't spaced far enough apart to put two tranformers in for lower voltage stuff like phone chargers etc. Dick Smith do a 'power board' (5 way extension) which has wide spaced sockets to allow transformers to be plugged in. You can tell which one it is as three sockets have grey square around them showing the wide spacing.

If you get stuck PM me I think I have three or four UK multi adapter extensions left in a box somewhere and would just need an Aussie plug fitting on the cable. I'm in Melly and you're welcome to borrow them till you get sorted out if you want.
Thanks to those who offered extensions. We actually have a bunch of these, probably too many, but now just need a load of single adaptors. We brought about 10 with us but clearly we have way too many electrical appliances.

We have friends flying in via Singapore in a month and the adaptors are about a dollar each there so I'll just hang on.

Cheers,
Col
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:22 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Try any $2 shop as they stock them and probably cheaper than buying a plug over here in the first place!!!

Lorraine
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:25 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
If you are still in the uk, buy the simple adapter in asda for less than 2 quid, or as someone else suggested, go to bunnings (or any other hardware store in oz) and buy oz plugs to replace the brit ones
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:29 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

What about asking your local Energy Company to change all of the sockets in the area to UK ones. This could save you a fortune.

Paul.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:34 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy
What about asking your local Energy Company to change all of the sockets in the area to UK ones. This could save you a fortune.

Paul.
Originally Posted by spalen
go into a big hotel and say ' Im staying here, can you lend me an adapter for my english plug? '
Repeat 20 times (not at same hotel)
and run.
Think you two have had too much sun
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:03 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fraser
Go to bunnings and buy twenty plugs, a pair of electricians pliers and a screwdiver
Fraser

That would be my advice too, having recently done it myself!! The plugs are dirt cheap and different, to say the least.

For what its worth, I've heard that the only "legal" ones now are the clear see-through ones but there are still plenty of the black and white ones on Bunnings and Mitre 10 shelves.

20 or so plug adaptors would not be cheap! About $15 each??

Regards

Jim
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:13 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Fraser

That would be my advice too, having recently done it myself!! The plugs are dirt cheap and different, to say the least.

For what its worth, I've heard that the only "legal" ones now are the clear see-through ones but there are still plenty of the black and white ones on Bunnings and Mitre 10 shelves.

20 or so plug adaptors would not be cheap! About $15 each??

Regards

Jim
Holey ####### ###t Jim.

$15 each :scared:

That's expensive!

Now for that I would won't an electrician to fit it.

Bye
Mark
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:16 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Get a mate to FEDEX them from UK, much cheaper from Argos and posting them than buying here

Steve
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:48 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
If you are still in the uk, buy the simple adapter in asda for less than 2 quid, or as someone else suggested, go to bunnings (or any other hardware store in oz) and buy oz plugs to replace the brit ones

wilkinsons...... we took 2 with us..... have changed ova to au plugs on everything now..... 2 was enough to tide us ova....

boomie
xx