Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where I live now

Where I live now

Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:53 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where I live now

I cant wait to get away, it surely cant be any worse just better.
My walk to my childrens primary school is an obsticle course ... we have to negotiate dog poo, broken glass and human spit...not to mention the overgrown weeds and litter.... it is awful.
It really seems to have got worse in the last 4yrs ....
what does everyone else think...
I walk "everywhere" and have seen the slow deterioration up north anyways
Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:40 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where I live now

Originally posted by sky
I cant wait to get away, it surely cant be any worse just better.
My walk to my childrens primary school is an obsticle course ... we have to negotiate dog poo, broken glass and human spit...not to mention the overgrown weeds and litter.... it is awful.
It really seems to have got worse in the last 4yrs ....
what does everyone else think...
I walk "everywhere" and have seen the slow deterioration up north anyways
Sky, if nothing else, heres something to make you feel better. We were down at Wynnum having dinner one night last week at the park & one of the boys had to go to the toilet, so Dagboy walked over to the public toilets with him. When he got back, he said "You know, thats one thing that I take for granted now, & that I never would have done in the UK - walked across a park in the dark". I looked at him a bit strangely, thinking he was referring to getting mugged or something, but he enlightened me with "Cos if you did you would have stood in dogpoo half a dozen times in that short walk!" LOL.

Some things truly are better in Australia

(but by the same token, there are parks in other areas that I wouldnt want to walk across in case you got stuck by a needle :scared: , even if some people dont want to hear that stuff )
Old Nov 15th 2003, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

When im out walking my little tiney dog (with poo bags to hand)
I spend most of the time looking at the ground incase i step on poo other owners havent cleaned up. The times my dog needed a wash because she steps in it. Yuk.

Takes the pleasure away from what should be an enjoyable walk.

booboo:scared:
Old Nov 15th 2003, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

In NZ it is a relief (in more ways than one) to find public toilets there. Public toilets in the UK are definately a thing of the past.

Rob
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:55 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Yes I know the feeling about the dog pooh, and I'am in Perth!!!

I walk my dog twice a day to the park and back and must encounter more dog dirt in the 30- min walk than I even did where I lived back in Nottingham.

The council puts bright yellow 'Pooch Pouch' Bags at the bins so there is never an excuse, it's just that some Aussies aren't sure how to use them!!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get me started on dog poo!!

I actually like where I live, but on my ten minute walk yesterday to school, it really was a nasty experience. I've got a 7 year ols and 2 year old running off ahead and then there's me walking the pushchair around the poo, shouting out 'mind the poo' every few seconds. It's everywhere, and right in the middle of the pavement. I've seen one guy who lets his dog poo in the garden and then tosses it over his fence into the middle of the school lane!!!! I reported him and nothing's changed. I'll catch someone letting their dog poo one day and I'll pick it up, follow them home and smear it all over their front door!!

glad I got that off me chest!!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:34 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Lol noodle
I was in the local paper once complaining about it and I was shunned for wks by some of the neighbours who were probably the culprits.
I walk up 97 steps to school with the kids every morning (I know cos Ive counted) and there must be one dog that does the same walk everyday and does it on the steps! it is disgusting and more disgusting that the owner doesnt clean it up .... and by the size of the poo it is a v. large dog.
Mrs Dagboy yes the used needles are here as well we live close to a really pretty train station I walk past it several times a day but at night that must be where all the druggies hang out and they just drop the used needles anywhere. My 16yr old son one night on his way home had to step over one of said druggies who was comatoze on the steps, he did think he was dead but as he had disappeared by the next morning we assumed he hadnt been.