Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to holiday from UK?

Where to holiday from UK?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:02 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Where to holiday from UK?

Yep... odd question - but I thought I'd throw it out there for ideas.

We're heading back home for xmas and have some time in the schedule for a side trip.

We'll be in the UK from 16th December and are due to spend a bit of time with family in the lake district for xmas itself - but by new year we have no commitments and no plans until our return flight on the 9th Jan.

In previous years we've dumped the kids with my parents and run off a for few days break in Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague + Scottish highlands. This time we're wondering if theres somewhere we could take the kids.

Is it possible to get affordable trips to ski anywhere in Europe? Any other ideas of places worth visiting that 5 & 7 year old girls might like and wont break the bank? Is it better to try and seem something out now - or given that we're not fussy about destination is there likelihood of late availability bargains to be had in early January? (My parents do live reassuringly close to Heathrow or Gatwick - so we can run at the airports literally at the 11th hour)

Any suggestions are welcome.....
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to holiday from UK?

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Is it possible to get affordable trips to ski anywhere in Europe?
Last minute it might be, but it's a popular time. I know I once went in the week that straddles either side of New Year and it was the most expensive week of the whole season, despite the fact the snow can be hit & miss.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Apparently, British holiday makers are being warned against travelling abroad this year in a report that shows the standard of English spoken is now worse than ever source: http://www.fethiyetimes.com/news/44-...-time-low.html

The above nonsense aside, I'd say you can take the kids anywhere, no need to dump them if you find at the eleventh hour there's an offer for an appealing European capital.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:25 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It's not known for for it's skiing but I'd head for Galway.

In fact, I'd bypass the UK completely ...
Old Apr 9th 2011, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was holidaying somewhere FROM the UK I'd be heading for some glorious beach somewhere, nice and hot, few glasses of vino and a pool

Hold on... I'm already there.... Wtf was I thinking?
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Rideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the roughRideaway is a jewel in the rough

Arriving at Heathrow will soon put you off returning back to the UK. It must be one of the worst airports (Singapore being one of the best imo).
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rideaway
Arriving at Heathrow will soon put you off returning back to the UK. It must be one of the worst airports (Singapore being one of the best imo).
Singapore airport is just amazing, I love my stamp on the passport "Warning! Death for drug traffickers under Singapore law"
Old Apr 9th 2011, 11:39 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

FWIW I have no great issues with heathrow and enjoy our visits back to the uk.

The last thing I want to do when escaping a qld summer is head off to yet another warm beach location. But it seems a bit of a waste to go all the way to Europe and spend over a week in Basingstoke!

Oh. - and Singapore may be a fantastic airport, but having spent a few days in the city before I have no intention of spending any time there voluntarily. I find it quite dull. (no offense to those who like it - it's just not my cup of tea.)

Last edited by DadAgain; Apr 9th 2011 at 11:43 am.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

How about Disney land Paris
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a culture vulture I would be in heaven in Paris again.... Or mostly any of the european capitals..... And they're so bloody close to Bassingstoke... In comparrison to anywhere in australia
Old Apr 9th 2011, 9:03 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Just FYI, it's cheaper to fly out of France than to fly out of the UK so we normally tag a Parisian holiday onto the end of our UK trips.

Our kids love Paris so I would recommend it.

You probably already know this but travelling around xmas in the UK can be extremely stressful.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to go Skiing then look at Austria, Switzerland or Slovakia.

They all have great deals, but Slovakia in the Tatra Mountains has excellent deals, amazing scenery and good skiing. Very cheap too

Have a look around for some deals, here are some links also:

http://www.mountainparadise.co.uk/
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/high-tatra-mountains/

Good luck
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:08 pm

hmmmm.... Slovakia looks like it has potential.

But I'm still torn as to whetehr to try and book something now or whether to 'wing it' looking for a last minute deal. For example my sister just snapped up a family holiday this easter to Egypt. Prices were obviously super-low thanks to recent unrest meaning all the tour operators had lots of cancelations.

Anyone got a crystal ball and able to tell me where the latest humanitarian/political/terrorist/seizmic crisis zone is going to be towards the end of the year?

(FWIW I had a habit of doing that when I was younger and travelled around the world shortly after high profile hostage taking in Peru, tourist shootings in Egypt etc etc - I always found pricing to be good and it a great way to avoid the crowds.)