Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to go - help us decide

Where to go - help us decide

Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Where to go - help us decide

Hi there, we are having the 'where to live' discussion at the moment, I am drawn towards outer Brisbane ( we would like to be commutable to a beach but not necessarily right on top maybe 30mins drive), although there appears to be lots of work for Dh house prices seem to be shooting up, bearing in mind we are only at TRA stage so will be higher by the time we get out there.

Dh has been recommended Adelaide, but I am worried there wont be enough work for him??? (welder) and also the weather?? what is the weather like in Adelaide - this is a huge factor for us as the whole move is centred around more outdoorsy quality family time, that we cant get in the U.K with our unpredicatable weather (Its July ffs).

I hear so much about Qld but know hardly anything of Adelaide.

So if I was to say our priorities were work for Welder, reasonably affordable housing, good climate and nice to settle with 3 (and more once we get there if I have my way) where would you recommend?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to go - help us decide

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Hi there, we are having the 'where to live' discussion at the moment, I am drawn towards outer Brisbane ( we would like to be commutable to a beach but not necessarily right on top maybe 30mins drive), although there appears to be lots of work for Dh house prices seem to be shooting up, bearing in mind we are only at TRA stage so will be higher by the time we get out there.

Dh has been recommended Adelaide, but I am worried there wont be enough work for him??? (welder) and also the weather?? what is the weather like in Adelaide - this is a huge factor for us as the whole move is centred around more outdoorsy quality family time, that we cant get in the U.K with our unpredicatable weather (Its July ffs).

I hear so much about Qld but know hardly anything of Adelaide.

So if I was to say our priorities were work for Welder, reasonably affordable housing, good climate and nice to settle with 3 (and more once we get there if I have my way) where would you recommend?
Without a doubt............Perth!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:55 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

We are recruiting for a coffee morning in Cairns you are very welcome. My OH is a welder among other things have checked out work and seems to be plenty.

Go on you know it makes sense

kaye
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

pommie_sheila will become famous soon enough

Gold Coast
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:40 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry we arent any help as we havent a clue either. We like Brisbane but have mates in Perth. We are off for 4 weeks Oct/Nov to have a look at Melbourne and Adelaide and to validate the visa. Marks a chippie so depends a lot on work for him as well as house prices etc.

Have you been before, may be worth a reccie if you can afford to. Good luck.

Joex
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

MRS G will become famous soon enough

Hi there, we are at the TRA stage as well and are having the same discussion. We have been to Adelaide a few times as OH has family there but I don't think I want to live there. We spent 4 months there a couple of years ago but I don't fancy having their winter. I fancy living in Queensland for a better climate and are currently looking into Townsville or maybe even Cairns. We have never been to either, although we have visited a few places in Australia including Perth and Sydney. Perth to us felt a bit isolated and Sydney is too busy. We've never been to Melbourne but again don't fancy their weather. I loved Queensland so for me it defo has to be somewhere there.

Mrs G
Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys - still none the wiser, am thinking we will be best to rent for a while and see what we like for ourselves.

Just not fancying the crappy winter of Adelaide.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide's "crappy" winter better than the UK's winter and is probably better than the UK's "crappy" summer. Don't get too hung up on things like that.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Adelaide's "crappy" winter better than the UK's winter and is probably better than the UK's "crappy" summer. Don't get too hung up on things like that.
thanks - thats what I was getting at - I know nothing of Adelaide so was hoping someone could educate me.