Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to find updates on Flight Caps

Where to find updates on Flight Caps

Old Jul 21st 2021, 4:40 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to find updates on Flight Caps

So in a way it’s a self fulfilling proficy , as unfortunately that Delta strain is really good at transmitting at an extreme rate.. In a little while there is no other way than self isolate and contact tracing, if it goes rampant won’t be achievable anymore like over here, nor will it make a difference. Sorry, not very positive hey. On a good note, numbers are on the mend again over here (Netherlands) and it’s summer, trying to enjoy every day and I wish you the same, stay safe guys.

Typical Dutch village, near where we live.

Last edited by tum; Jul 21st 2021 at 4:41 am. Reason: Fix spelling mistake
Old Jul 21st 2021, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tum
So in a way it’s a self fulfilling proficy , as unfortunately that Delta strain is really good at transmitting at an extreme rate.. In a little while there is no other way than self isolate and contact tracing, if it goes rampant won’t be achievable anymore like over here, nor will it make a difference. Sorry, not very positive hey. On a good note, numbers are on the mend again over here (Netherlands) and it’s summer, trying to enjoy every day and I wish you the same, stay safe guys.

Typical Dutch village, near where we live.
Yep. It can only be defeated by herd immunity. Take the vaccine and hope for the best. Lockdowns don't work any more. I am seriously considering joining the UK herd. Chasing zeros is a pipe dream.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 1:00 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

When vaccinated returnees are finally allowed in without hotel quarantine will it be easier to travel in terms of more flights being available to accommodate increased demand?
Old Sep 11th 2021, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
When vaccinated returnees are finally allowed in without hotel quarantine will it be easier to travel in terms of more flights being available to accommodate increased demand?
Once States start using home quarantine for returnees, then yes the caps will get higher - and hopefully eventually removed altogether. The whole issue around the caps is the hotel quarantine programme, which simply does not have enough rooms, and they refuse to sin up more hotels. Many hotel rooms now are being taken up with domestic quarantined travellers, especially in Queensland. Also people who are told to quarantine as being "close contacts" are being put into the hotels if their homes are not considered suitable. AN example of this is truck drivers - several have been forced into quarantine after saying that the only home they really have is their truck, or their mate's sofa.
The caps are certainly here to stay until home quarantine opens up.
Old Sep 11th 2021, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Caps are definitely here to stay. Wellcamp and Pinkenba will provide an extra 2,000 beds in QLD while the hotels currently have 5,000. However, hotels aren't built to contain highly infectious diseases and my guess if that they'll rapidly retreat from the program once their usual customer base returns in force. I know where the quarantine hotels are in Brisbane and wouldn't stay in one by choice.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 5:34 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...eopen/13542838

Just listened to this interview from ABC with SIA. very eloquently put and clear cut info on how to (not) move forward.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 7:01 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter (age 17), was due to move back to Australia at the beginning of October, she has now been bumped to the earliest available flight at the end of February (that does not cost a ridiculous amount). She is due to start university around the middle of February so it’s looking like she won’t make it on time, assuming she doesn’t get bumped yet again.

It’s been pretty heartbreaking to watch thousands of Australians trying to return to reunite with families, see dying loved ones, etc. I’ve heard of people being bumped up to 9 times (I think I even remember reading of someone that had 14). I sincerely hope that if and when the borders open up they give some of those people a chance to return before people start flying out for vacations.

I know my daughters story isn’t that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. But it’s been kind of tough watching her dream for the last five years start to crumble. She’s already missed the intake for university in Canada so it’s too late to change plans (and she wouldn’t want to anyway). Now we are very worried she may be too late to even do university next year which would lead to an almost two year gap from finishing high school. She’s fully vaccinated and and willing to go through quarantine if only there was space.

The big kicker is she’s not even eligible for DFAT flights as she’s an unaccompanied minor so that door is also closed to her.

i hope Australia can either start offering more quarantine spaces or slowly open up to the many stranded Aussies overseas.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
My daughter (age 17), was due to move back to Australia at the beginning of October, she has now been bumped to the earliest available flight at the end of February (that does not cost a ridiculous amount). She is due to start university around the middle of February so it’s looking like she won’t make it on time, assuming she doesn’t get bumped yet again.

It’s been pretty heartbreaking to watch thousands of Australians trying to return to reunite with families, see dying loved ones, etc. I’ve heard of people being bumped up to 9 times (I think I even remember reading of someone that had 14). I sincerely hope that if and when the borders open up they give some of those people a chance to return before people start flying out for vacations.

I know my daughters story isn’t that big of deal in the grand scheme of things. But it’s been kind of tough watching her dream for the last five years start to crumble. She’s already missed the intake for university in Canada so it’s too late to change plans (and she wouldn’t want to anyway). Now we are very worried she may be too late to even do university next year which would lead to an almost two year gap from finishing high school. She’s fully vaccinated and and willing to go through quarantine if only there was space.

The big kicker is she’s not even eligible for DFAT flights as she’s an unaccompanied minor so that door is also closed to her.

i hope Australia can either start offering more quarantine spaces or slowly open up to the many stranded Aussies overseas.
Thats really rough on her. Some States are now starting to trial home quarantine as that will allow for more arrivals, so

Its not just people trying to fly out for vacations though. There's this constant messaging here about trying to get Australians home to reunite families. What is getting overlooked though is that lots of us are trying to LEAVE so that we can reunite our families but we are being pretty much ignored. Many people here think that if you are trying to leave its just cos you want to go on a jolly, when in fact some of us are just desperate to reunite with families. Tired of missing all the family milestones of weddings, milestone birthdays, new homes etc. I even realised the other day that I can't actually remember what it feels like to be hugged now, its been over three years and the thought of hugging now seems strange and alien.
Old Sep 19th 2021, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

www.reconnectaustralia.org

Old Sep 19th 2021, 4:59 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats really rough on her. Some States are now starting to trial home quarantine as that will allow for more arrivals, so

Its not just people trying to fly out for vacations though. There's this constant messaging here about trying to get Australians home to reunite families. What is getting overlooked though is that lots of us are trying to LEAVE so that we can reunite our families but we are being pretty much ignored. Many people here think that if you are trying to leave its just cos you want to go on a jolly, when in fact some of us are just desperate to reunite with families. Tired of missing all the family milestones of weddings, milestone birthdays, new homes etc. I even realised the other day that I can't actually remember what it feels like to be hugged now, its been over three years and the thought of hugging now seems strange and alien.
Oh I get that it works both ways and sucks just the same. Ideally there would be a system that would prioritize reasons for wanting to leave Australia, I just don’t see them trying to implement something like that. I feel like it will just be a free for all when the time comes. Either way, I would recommend against leaving Australia until they sort out the situation coming in as right now people will likely become stranded too.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 5:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of courses can be completed online, so it's probably a good idea to contact the uni and see if this is possible. I know it's not the greatest start to her studies, but wouldn't be the end of the world either.

I'm not sure what or where she is studying so if that is not possible, she might be able to do a mid-year start instead.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 6:03 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
A lot of courses can be completed online, so it's probably a good idea to contact the uni and see if this is possible. I know it's not the greatest start to her studies, but wouldn't be the end of the world either.

I'm not sure what or where she is studying so if that is not possible, she might be able to do a mid-year start instead.
The plan is for her to study law. She had to take two online courses in high school and really struggles with getting things done. In person she averages about a 90+, online though was a huge struggle. She knows herself well enough that she’d rather defer than do online again.
Old Sep 26th 2021, 6:27 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The plan is for her to study law. She had to take two online courses in high school and really struggles with getting things done. In person she averages about a 90+, online though was a huge struggle. She knows herself well enough that she’d rather defer than do online again.
Fair enough - she can make it in time for the first semester
Old Nov 7th 2021, 12:22 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Has travel returned to normal for citizens/residents or is it still quite a feat to get back to Oz?

Ideally I'd like to fly back via Singapore but unfortunately they only accept vaccination certificates from countries with whom they have opened up safe travel lanes. To top it off I got both Pfizer jabs in Poland, but because I don't have a national ID number there I only got a paper certificate (and QR code) which doesn't include vaccine batch numbers. So I can't even "migrate" those jabs to another country's system (everyone requires the batch numbers to complete the process).

Anyone know what the best option is to fly to Australia from Europe without having to change planes in the Middle East?
Old Nov 7th 2021, 5:12 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by astera
Has travel returned to normal for citizens/residents or is it still quite a feat to get back to Oz?

Ideally I'd like to fly back via Singapore but unfortunately they only accept vaccination certificates from countries with whom they have opened up safe travel lanes. To top it off I got both Pfizer jabs in Poland, but because I don't have a national ID number there I only got a paper certificate (and QR code) which doesn't include vaccine batch numbers. So I can't even "migrate" those jabs to another country's system (everyone requires the batch numbers to complete the process).

Anyone know what the best option is to fly to Australia from Europe without having to change planes in the Middle East?
The non-stop Qantas flight from Heathrow would be your best bet. QF2, used to go in to Perth but due to the fact that WA (like Qld) is refusing to join the international travel game, its now flying into Darwin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.